Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

9/19 TIMH A Triumph-ant Album, eh

+5 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture
September 19, 2016 at 10:41am
7 Comments

A somewhat overlooked and underappreciated rock record was released today in 1981, Allied Forces by the ‘other’ Canadian power trio, Triumph. The fact that I could find so very little online about the record kind of proved my point. The album was Triumph’s fifth release and reached 23 on the Billboard charts, propelled by the hit singles ‘Magic Power’ and ‘Fight the Good Fight’, both classic rock staples. But a deeper dive on the album is what makes it so good, as every track on this record is a good one (other than the extraneous ‘Air Raid’). The album is full of lots of really heavy electric riffs, as well as acoustic and classical ones. Rik Emmett's guitar playing, vocals and solos are really good, and Gil Moore's drumming and vocals are also quite good. Triumph seems to be labeled as a prog-rock band but this is just a straight rock record, in my opinion. Not a huge fan of their work as a whole but this was a masterpiece. Then again, maybe its just me.  

Its also ‘Mama’ Cass Elliott’s birthday today, she woulda been 75 today. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 7 Comments