Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

August 3 - TIM(etal)H - Happy Birthday to James Hetfield....

+10 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture
August 3, 2016 at 7:32am
175 Comments

…co-founder, vocalist, lyricist, rhythm and sometimes lead guitarist for Metallica, is 53 today. James Alan Hetfield was born August 3 1963 in Downey, California to a truck driving father and light-opera singing mother. He was raised in a strict Christian Scientist household where the use of medicine or other medical treatments was not approved...these beliefs even being upheld as his mother was dying from cancer, the affliction ultimately taking her life when James was 16. Some of Hetfield’s later lyrics, including “The God That Failed”, were influenced by his upbringing.

Musically, Hetfield’s main influence in becoming a musician was Aerosmith but cites numerous other rock/metal/punk acts as influences as well. He, upon answering an ad in the Los Angeles Recycler newspaper placed by drummer Lars Ulrich, formed Metallica in October 1981. After a couple lineup changes on lead guitar and bass, the rest is as they say, history.

Hetfield, who has been sober since 2002, is a thrill sport-enthusiast – hunting, skateboarding, snowboarding, water/jet-skiing – but also enjoys customizing cars and motorcycles. He has been married since 1997, crediting his wife with helping him overcome his immaturity and anger issues. The two have three children, aged 18, 16 and 14.

Many of us have likely become better people, or have tried to be, as we’ve grown older. Hetfield is no different. Here’s Hetfield on Hetfield from a 2015 Greg Kennelty article: "You wouldn't really like me if you knew my story, if you knew what horrible things I've done. I'm coming to grips with that, 'cause I have groups of people that I'm able to share all my horrible stuff with — shameful, extremely shameful, dark stuff. Some of it is things I've taken from my parents and carried it a little further. Other ones, I've been able to drop some of that. Other ones I've picked up on my own and then created… Shame's a big thing for me. Playing music has saved my life. Every day saves my life. When I'm able to write… write a riff, write some lyrics, stuff like that… it's the way I connect with the world. And so I think kids that do have the gift of art, writing painting, drawing, designing, metalwork, woodwork… any craft-type stuff… caring for that… caring for that."

Happy birthday, James. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 175 Comments