Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

How to Deal with Neighbor's Pit Bull?

+4 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture
July 18, 2016 at 8:54pm
250 Comments

I live in the country (sheriff, township trustees) in northern Ohio.  10 houses in a square mile.  I happen to live in a stretch of 4 houses side by side,on 1 acre lots, with woods in the backyard and cornfields across the street of the front yard.   Next door neighbor moved out 2 years ago, not wanting to sell, fixed up the house and rented it out.  The house got rented last October and the renters have pit bull dogs (not my favorite breed, by any stretch).  The dogs ( 2 full grown, rescue pits) have been in my yard on numerous occasions and it's pissing me off.  I said something to the renter and the landlord, and both don't seem to see the situation as I do.  

I have two boys, under the age of 11, one has autistic issues......im fearfull of these dogs approaching my kids, when they are outside playing.  My wife likes working in our flowerbeds and garden, and is fearfu lol of the dogs, when they come in our yard, as they run right at us and don't heal to loud voice commands of "Stop", " No" , or Go Home".  The renters have no fence and don't keep their dogs on leashes when outside.

what do I have to do, to resolve this, keep the neighborhood peace, and incur no out of pocket expense, on my part?  If I put up 100 yards of privacy fence, it will be expensive and won't be able to go all the way to the street  (Have to stay 30ft from the center of the road for Twp. right of Way) and the dogs will just go around it.  If I call the dog warden, the warden and the sheriff will show up over there and I feel like it will be the begining of a "neighbor war" with the lady renter (she doesn't work as a truck driver, because she has a wrist injury) either of her two boyfriends that alternate weekends shacking up with her, and her sons that she gets visitation rights of once a month.  

Can you shoot unleashed, unlicensed dogs that are on your property, like you can raccoons, deer or squirrels?

im pretty fed up with the situation, and would like some reasonable advice, to help make a level headed decision, going forward.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 250 Comments