Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Best Chicagoland BBQ

0 HS
cinserious's picture
July 3, 2016 at 9:44pm
29 Comments

This post is directed towards any Chicago natives (looking at you Brewstersmillions) or dwellers who love good BBQ and can point me in the right direction to some excellent 'Q' you can't find elsewhere. 

I am from Cincinnati and for my entire adult life I have been looking for a BBQ restaurant that brings me back to my childhood days at the soul  food kitchen up the street from my house. It was called Ike's BBQ. The ribs were amazing, the fries were great, wings, the sides were unbelievable (greens my fave!). But when it comes to the bbq sauce I was in HEAVEN. This family had 2 styles of the same sauce, bbq and hot bbq. They were a spicy and vinagary thin red sauce that made Ike's absolutely RULE Cincinnati. When I became an adult I left town and whenever I would return to Ike's it was closed. A couple years ago I finally found it back open and even talked to the owner (Ike). I was sad to realize the sauce just wasn't even close to it's splendid glory of my youth. Biggest disappointment of my life. Then I realized somebody was missing (besides Junior, who was always chopping away at slabs of ribs all day long). It was Ms. Eddie Mae, who was Ike's mother. She was the sweetest old lady I ever knew and even gave me free stuff when I brought her good report cards. This leads me to believe the recipe passed away with her, or Junior has it and I have no way of tracking him down. 

Sorry about the short story but I'm desperate for that taste and have looked high and low to no avail. I tried looking up the family roots and got like Texas or Alabama or Georgia or something. I tried making my own sauces, tried having some Alabama sauces shipped. No luck. 
My next move is to discover some Southside Chicago bbq joints and from the looks of things, there are a few places called I-57 Rib House, Uncle J's and Lem's that stand out. Especially Lem's.  I'll try to get some sauce shipped but if not, I can't wait to get back to Chicago so I can try some of the best bbq in the country. Maybe THE best.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments