Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

68 Days of Bourbon - Elmer T Lee

+2 HS
btalbert25's picture
June 29, 2016 at 1:13am
15 Comments

Last night I mentioned that I have built a collection of around 90 bottles of whiskey.  I have bought, traded, and been gifted these bottles over the last 5 years.  A lot of you (I know my wife does) may ask, "What on earth has motivated you to buy 90 bottles of bourbon?"  Well, there are a few answers to that question.  For one, I absolutely love the stories and characters who make up the history of this juice.  I also really enjoy the thrill of the hunt when I'm out trying to find a rare bottle and the satisfaction I get from finding such a bottle.  Certain bottles make for a great experience too.  When I have friends over and break out a hard to find bottle, share a little taste with them, it's an experience.  Something that every time they have a drink they'll say have you tried this???? Because I have!  Finally, it's damn good stuff the I really love to drink.  At any rate, the bottle that started it all, was Elmer T Lee.  It was the first bottle I ever bought, and I immediately fell in love. 

When I first bought it, this was not a rare bourbon, but the combination of Elmer T Lee passing away and America's spirit exploding in popularity, this label has become scarce.  It also, at one time, could be had for around 30 dollars.  I think now you'll be lucky to get it under 45.  With that said, though, it checks a lot of boxes for me.  The namesake is a very interesting character, it is hard for me to find, friends always want to try it, and it's damn good!  I also do really enjoy pretty much every product Buffalo Trace puts out.  It really is my favorite distillery. 

Before we review here is what Buffalo Trace has to say about this brand: http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/elmer-t-lee-single-barrel

Let's Review

The bottle I'm tasting is 90 proof.  The bottle I have doesn't have an age statement, but the liquor store said the barrel was aged 12 years and looking around that's pretty typical for ETL.  

The Nose:  Sweet, vanilla and maple.  It's not overpowering or complex. 

The Palate:  Hints of caramel and maple at the begining, but you definitely get some spice and oak.  It actually doesn't have the creamy mouthfeel that McKenna gave yesterday, but the finish is long and lingers.  

Review:  So while other bourbons in my collection have a more interesting nose, or the finish and mouthfeel are better, few bourbons are really good in every category.  Elmer T Lee is consistently good in all aspects.  Much like last night, this is a bourbon that a beginner can drink and really enjoy (much like myself when I got started with this one 5 years ago) but it's also something that you'll keep coming back to later on.  If I see a bottle of Elmer T Lee on the shelf, I immediately grab it.  I have 3 in reserve right now, because I just don't know when I'll be able to get it again.  If you find a bottle somewhere GRAB IT AND DON'T LET GO!!!!!!

Here are a couple links about Elmer the man, as I mentioned, he was quite an interesting character! 

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/craftsmen/lee

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/the-real-people-on-the-labels-who-wereare-they/

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments