Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Back to Work Monday - seeking advice on dealing with a coworker.

+5 HS
Meek's picture
June 6, 2016 at 9:57am
118 Comments

Hello Buckeye fans! Hope your weekend was a good one. I took the wife to a concert at Blossom that went pretty well. Next weekend I'll be taking her and my sister to the Women's Football Clinic. That is something nice to look forward to.

In the mean time, I've got his work week to get through, and where your advice comes into play. There's a guy at my work who likes causing confrontation. I want to see your opinions on what's the best way to deal with this situation.

The problem is that he starts debates about topics that aren't in the main interest of the daily work and initiatives, more of side projects that the company isn't fully invested in. They distract from what others are doing. If anyone engages him on his topic or brings up something remotely related, it isn't pretty. He'll pull up opinion pieces but no numbers to back his claims. He's resorted to insults before, belittling the intelligence of the person who has unenthusiastically entered into the discussion.

Middle management has made some effort to get involved, but it has only served to engage him further. I'm thinking they don't have the power to focus him or get rid of him at this point. How should I handle this guy?

Edit: too help me get through this week, let's talk about the good stuff too. What is coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 118 Comments