Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Looking for input/feedback on Cub Scouting

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture
May 21, 2016 at 8:32am
23 Comments

Hi all,

School is winding down, summer is nigh...and the Mrs and I are looking to involve our son in some short/long term extracurricular activities for the summer (and/or beyond).

His school had a springfest last night, and I noticed a sign on the school grounds for an upcoming open meeting for one of the local Cub Scout packs in our area.

I did not scout as a kid myself (sports and mowing lawns/delivering newspapers/juvenile delinquency took my time), but my wife's brother and younger cousin (made Eagle Scout) both did and found the experiences positive.

We currently have young Hove in a basketball program at school, and enrolled in a couple of summer camps, but are kicking around the idea of scouting up. He loves being outside, and I think it's a collective activity with other kids his age that he could definitely progress with.

Also wanted to note he turns 6 next month, but will start first grade come fall. Not sure if Cub Scouts go by age or grade (a look online states the ages from 7 to 11, or first to fifth grade).

Looking to attend the upcoming meeting, but also wanted some additional perspective. So, I turn to the community I roll with for any advice/thoughts/sharing of your experiences...appreciate any info.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments