Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Bassdropper's NFL Draft Preview

+16 HS
BassDropper's picture
April 24, 2016 at 4:03pm
116 Comments

Since I became a sports fan, I have always had a fascination with the NFL Draft. I love the NFL, and I love college football even more. This is an event that brings my two favorite sports together. A few years ago I began "scouting" a few players, to try and predict how the careers of some of my favorite college players turn out. The list of players I have scouted has grown from 100 players to 379 this year. Having a DVR made it much easier to record as many games and analyze as many players as I could. 

After writing extensive reports for each prospect, I rank each player from 1 to 379 on my "Big Board." When I rank players, I rank based on how I think it will look 10 years from now, not necessarily how fast they run, and how high they jump (it does play a small part though).

Top 10 QB
1 Connor Cook Michigan State
2 Jared Goff Cal
3 Carson Wentz North Dakota State
4 Paxton Lynch Memphis
5 Christian Hackenberg Penn State
6 Cardale Jones Ohio State
7 Nate Sudfeld Indiana
8 Jeff Driskell LaTech
9 Kevin Hogan Stanford
10 Brandon Daughty Western Kentucky

He isn't popular around these parts, but Connor Cook will be the best QB from this draft class. In terms of arm talent, he is second to none in this draft class. Cook will never be in consideration for any major awards, but I do think he makes a couple of pro bowls by the end of his career. 

Jared Goff's ceiling is Andy Dalton. He will be a serviceable player, but in no way, shape or form, worth trading up to select with the #1 pick. Carson Wentz has the highest bust potential of the two I just mentioned. I have never understood the hype surrounding him. 

I think the top 8 QBs have some kind of future in the NFL, whether it be as a long time back-up or eventual starter. Cardale Jones and Jeff Driskell are my sleepers.

Top 10 RB
1 Ezekiel Elliott Ohio State
2 Alex Collins  Arkansas
3 Devontae Booker Utah
4 Jordan Howard Indiana
5 Derrick Henry Alabama
6 Kelvin Taylor Florida
7 Kenneth Dixon LaTech
8 CJ Prosise Notre Dame
9 Aaron Green TCU
10 Josh Ferguson Illinois

This RB class is top heavy. About 10 guys have a chance to have long careers in the NFL. I think Alex Collins is the best pure RB in the class, not named Zeke Elliott. I don't have Collins behind Elliott by much. Both will have great careers and win many accolades. 

Derrick Henry will be a poor mans Eddie George, but I don't see his body holding up for a long period of time. That is why I have him ranked #5.

Top 10 WR
1 Mike Thomas Ohio State
2 LaQuan Treadwell Ole Miss
3 Tyler Boyd  Pitt
4 Rashad Higgins Colorado State
5 Braxton Miller Ohio State
6 Aaron Burbridge Michigan State
7 Will Fuller Notre Dame
8 Josh Doctson TCU
9 Sterling Shepard Oklahoma
10 Laronte Carroo Rutgers

Mike Thomas is on another lever when it comes to this WR class. National draft gurus will tell you Thomas doesnt run the best routes, but Im not sure what film they were watching. He has a big frame and has made amazing plays throughout his career. Mike Thomas landing in Detroit or Cincy pretty much guarantees multiple Pro Bowls. 

Rashad Higgins is one of my favorite players in this draft. I have been high on him for about 2 years now, and the more I watch of him, the more I am convinced he is the next Antonio Bryant. 

Aaron Burbridge will never be a flashy playmaker like Higgins, but he will be one of the reliable possession receivers that stick around the league for 12 years.

Top 10 TE
1 Hunter Henry Arkansas
2 Nick Vannett Ohio State
3 Austin Hooper Stanford
4 Henry Kreiger-Coble Iowa
5 Jerrell Adams South Carolina
6 Kyle Carter Penn State
7 Ryan Mallack Virginia Tech
8 Jake Mcgee Florida
9 Bryce Williams East Carolina
10 David Morgan UTSA

Scouting this years TEs was one of the most painful things I've had to do recently. This years crop is awful. Hunter Henry is almost a sure thing, but after him it's pretty much a crap shoot. 

Top 10 OT
1 Ronnie Stanley Notre Dame
2 Taylor Decker Ohio State
3 Laramey Tunsil Ole Miss
4 Jake Conklin Michigan State
5 Willie Beavers Western Michigan
6 Jason Spriggs Indiana
7 Germaine Ifedi Texas A&M
8 Shonn Coleman Auburn
9 Jerald Hawkins LSU
10 Kyle Murphey Stanford

Ronnie Stanley is my second overall player in this class. He almost looks like a robot when he plays because of how precise his foot work is against opponents.  

Im not sold on Tunsil due to his injury history. On top of that, he doesnt pass the eye test like Stanley does. 

Willie Beavers may end up as the best lineman (guard or tackle) in this class. I didnt have him ranked to represent that due to the fact I don't know if he is a G or a T.

Top 10 OG
1 Landon Turner North Carolina
2 Joshua Garnett Stanford
3 Vadal Alexander LSU
4 Spencer Drango Baylor
5 Sebastian Tretola Arkansas
6 Parker Ehinger Cincinnati 
7 Brian Chamerlain Georgia Tech
8 Justin Bell Ole Miss
9 Cody Whitehair Kansas State
10 Joe Thuney  NC State

Not much depth in this class of Guards, but I do like the talent near the top. Turner and Garnett will be stars in the league. Alexander, Drango and Tretola all should be starters as well. 

Top 10 C
1 Austin Blythe Iowa
2 Ryan Kelly Alabama
3 Nick Martin Notre Dame
4 Nick Beamish Central Michigan
5 Max Truek USC
6 Mike Matthews Texas A&M
7 Graham Glasgow Michigan
8 Jack Allen Michigan State
9 Dan Voltz Wisconsin
10 Kyle Friend  Temple

Being a former center, I am a fan of this years class. I think all 10 of the guys listed have a chance to end up as starters. The depth behind these 10 aren't great, so don't be surprised if all of the guys listed go in the top 5 rounds. 

The top 3 all have a chance to be Pro Bowlers, and if Mike Matthews can live up to his family name, like I think he can, there may be 4 future Pro Bowlers in my top 10.

Top 10 DE
1 Joey Bosa Ohio State
2 Noah Spence Ohio State/EKU
3 Kevin Dodd Clemson
4 Dean Lawry Northwestern
5 Jonathan Bullard Florida
6 Eddie Yarbough  Wyoming
7 Carl Nassib Penn State
8 Aziz Shittu Stanford
9 Shalique Calhoun Michigan State
10 Victor Ochi Stoney Brook

This is by far the best group of 10 that is listed throughout this post. Everyone knows about Spence and Bosa, so I want to focus on Lawry, Yarbough, and Ochi.

Most Big Ten fans probably haven't heard of Dean Lawry. I had never heard of him until I watched Northwestern's game against Stanford. He was on the same field as Christian McCafrey, and yet he was the only one that looked like a star that day. After initially thinking it was a fluke, he continued to shine throughout the season, and even ran a good 40 at the combine. 

Eddie Yarbough doesnt get much attention due to him going to a small school, but this guy is a dominant force despite the competition he plays. I think he is Cam Heyward 2.0 if he goes to a 3-4 defense. 

I had never heard of Victor Ochi until the Shrine game. He was unstoppable and was one of the quickest DL I had seen. I went back and studied his games at Stoney Brook and he has a great future ahead.

****DE and DT is the deepest groups of the draft

Top 10 DT
1 Robert Nkemdiche Ole Miss
2 Sheldon Day Notre Dame
3 Chris Jones Miss State
4 Anthony Zettle Penn State
5 Adolphus Washington Ohio State
6 Andrew Billings Baylor
7 Kenny Clark UCLA
8 Austin Johnson Penn State
9 Maliek Collins Nebraska
10 A'Shawn Robinson Alabama

Robert Nkemdiche will be a hall of fame type of player if he can stay out of trouble. He just makes it look so effortless.

If Sheldon Day was 3 inches taller he would be in the Bosa-Nkemdiche category. I love his motor and hand skills. Despite his physical structure, he will be a superstar. 

Chris Jones is the strongest DT I have ever studied. I don't know if his bench number at the combine supports this or not, but I don't care. His bull rush is nasty, and is good at disengaging.

Anthon Zettle was my #1 DT in last years class, but his production dropped a little bit this year...mostly due to the rise of Carl Nassib. I am still a believer in his future. 

Top 10 OLB
1 Darron Lee Ohio State
2 Su'a Cravens USC
3 Miles Jack UCLA
4 Antonio Morrison Florida
5 Kamalei Correa Boise State
6 Josh Perry Ohio State
7 Jaylon Smith Notre Dame
8 Eric Striker Oklahoma
9 Tomoko Turray Rutgers
10 Dion Jones LSU

I know some people probably think Im crazy for not having Miles Jack ranked higher, but I can't get over the ACL injury he suffered. Im not a doctor, but it's an uphill battle recovering from an ACL tear, and some people never fully recover. 

Antonio Morrison has all of the tools to be a superstar LBer. If he ends up in the right scheme and keeps his head on straight he will have a bright future. 

Top 10 ILB
1 Reggie Ragland Alabama
2 Terrence Smith Florida State
3 Kris Frost Auburn
4 Reggie Northrup FSU
5 Dominique Alexander Oklahoma
6 Kentrell Brothers Missouri 
7 Cassanova McKenzie Auburn
8 James Burgess Louisville
Nick Kwiatkowski West Virginia
10 Blake Martinez Stanford

Like the TE class, studying the ILBers was not fun at all. Reggie Ragland is going to be an elite player, but other than him, good luck finding another one. 

I do think Brothers and Kwiatowski have a chance to be productive players, but like many other ILBers, they have too many questions surrounding them.

Top 10 CB
1 Vernon Hargraves Florida
2 Kendall Fuller Virginia Tech
3 Nick Vanhoose Northwestern
4 William Jackson III Houston
5 Mackenzie Alexander Clemson
6 Eric Murray  Minnesota
7 Eli Apple Ohio State
8 Keivaree Russell Notre Dame
9 Lloyd Carrington Arizona State
10 Jon Jones Auburn

There is a lot of talent in the CB class, but even throughout my top 10, I feel there is a lot of hit-or-miss. I am very high on two Big Ten corners, and neither are Eli Apple. I love Nick Vanhoose's ability to play the ball and he has good size on top of that.Eric Murray made a ton of plays at Minnesota and he will be a long time starter in the NFL.

I like Eli Apple, and I do think he made the right choice to leave early, but I don't see elite level talent like I do with the others. Apple will be a starter, but I don't think he will be memorable one way or another. 

Top 10 S
1 Jeremy Cash  Duke
2 Jalen Ramsey Florida State
3 Vonn Bell Ohio State
4 Karl Joseph West Virginia
5 Tevin Carter  Utah
6 Jayron Kearse Clemson
7 Jatavis Brown Akron
8 Tyvis Powell Ohio State
9 Denzel Nkemdiche Ole Miss
10 Jalen Mills LSU

Jeremy Cash is basically a linebacker playing safety. He is always around the ball and always seems to come up with the big play. I think this will transition to the NFL and he will put up big time stats. 

I first heard of Jatavis Brown during Akron's bowl game. He has been one of my favorites to study in this class. Size is a concern with Brown. He will be a big time talent if he can find his position. 

Feel free to ask questions. It's almost time for the Draft!

(Mod edit: Moving to Other Sports forum.)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 116 Comments