Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Van Halen vs. Van Hagar

+8 HS
Doc's picture
April 11, 2016 at 11:22am
212 Comments

Last week some of us were having a conversation about the Mighty Van Halen when Redrocker1013 made a point for including the Sammy Hagar lead incarnation.  I'll be the first to admit that to my "naked steaming eyes and ears", to quote David Lee, that the only true Van Halen is the original.  The six albums they made with Roth were pure gold from start to finish.  From 'Running With The Devil' threw 'House of Pain' there is not one single skipper.  I can listen, and have listened, to these songs on a loop for decades.

The Hagar albums are a different story.  I find my self skipping these songs when they come on the radio, or ipod.  They sound dated and cheesy.  Van Halen went from being the biggest party band on the planet to being a gelded love sick wuss.  Now, don't get me wrong I've seen Van Hagar in concert multiple times and even made the trip to Cabo San Lucas to go to the Cabo Wabo Cantina.  I've got a drawer full of VanHagar and Sammy/Cabo t-shirts.  I like Sammy Hagar, just not fronting VH.  I went to see them because of Eddie, Alex and Michael Anthony.  And to hear the few Roth era tunes that they would play.  Those songs always got the biggest ovations too.  I'm sure that would piss Sammy off on a nightly basis.

Anywho, lets talk about one of the best bands on the planet, and Van Hagar.

tl/dr Diamond Dave is better than the Red Rocker in Van Halen.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 212 Comments