Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMMY CLIFF! – (APRIL 1, 1948) – TIMH

+7 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture
April 1, 2016 at 7:29am
82 Comments

Jimmy Cliff, the world’s greatest living reggae performer, turns 68 today. The 2010 rock HOF inductee was born James Chambers in St. James, Jamaica, April 1, 1948. Jimmy developed his musical talent as a child performing at local fairs and carnivals, and when he was just 14 he moved to Kingston to find fame and fortune. Changing his last name to Cliff, to signify the heights to which he aspired, Jimmy was taken to fledgling reggae producer Leslie Kong. His first single, “Hurricane Hattie,” became an instant hit for Kong’s Beverley record label. Jimmy would remain loyal to Kong until the 38 year-old producer’s unexpected death from a heart attack in 1971. Jimmy not only made hit records for Kong, he also served as an A&R man, bringing Bob Marley to the label.

Jimmy’s records were distributed in the UK by Chris Blackwell’s Island Records, and in 1967, Jimmy was convinced to move to London. He began producing successful albums and singles, and in 1972, starred in The Harder They Come, a cult classic film about Jamaica’s reggae scene. The film exposed the world to reggae music and the soundtrack featured several of Jimmy’s songs. It seemed as though Jimmy Cliff was about to become an international superstar. Unfortunately, the movie wasn’t released in the US until 1975, and in the interim Island decided to shift its big promotion efforts to Bob Marley. In 1973, Jimmy left Island and signed with E.M.I./Reprise, where the results were not any better. He moved to Columbia Records in 1981, and produced the excellent Cliff Hanger, a Grammy winner. Jimmy also toured with Peter Tosh and Kool & The Gang, and partnered with that group in the studio. Jimmy left Columbia in 1989, and released a number of albums only in Jamaica and the UK. His 1993 cover of Johnny Nash’s “I Can See Clearly Now” for the movie Cool Runnings was a hit in the US. The following year, Jimmy played a terrific set at Woodstock 1994, which can be seen here.

Jimmy began a US comeback in 2004, with the release of Black Magic, a duets album with artists like Sting, Joe Strummer, Wyclef Jean, and others. Strummer suggested that Jimmy might work well with producer Tim Armstrong of American punk band Rancid. In 2011, the Armstrong-produced Sacred Fire EP was released. The full-length Rebirth album followed in 2012. These recordings marked a return to form for Jimmy Cliff and maybe more. Rolling Stone’s review of the album said: “. . it's the strongest case for the vitality of West Indian roots music that anyone has made in decades.”

If the only reggae you’re familiar with is Bob Marley, give the original reggae-mon a listen. Here’s my partial playlist of great Jimmy Cliff songs, new and old. Hope you enjoy them.

• One More
  • Guns of Brixton – The Clash
  • World Upside Down – Joe Higgs
  • The Harder They Come
  • Hard Road To Travel
  • Wonderful World Beautiful People
  • You Can Get It If You Really Want
  • I Can See Clearly Now – Johnny Nash
  • Lonely Streets
  • Love I Need
  • Sitting In Limbo
  • Hitting With Music

Happy Birthday to Jimmy Cliff!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 82 Comments