Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Need ideas: special gift for neighbors helping us

0 HS
Baroclinicity's picture
March 14, 2016 at 1:00am
21 Comments

TL;DR:  My wife and I are going to a wedding next weekend 6 hours away and my wife is singing in it.  Our neighbors are going to watch our 10 month old for two nights.  We'd like to show them how much we appreciate their gesture which will save us from a logistical nightmare.

We're headed to D.C. for a wedding this coming weekend in which my wife will be singing.  We had a baby last May, and while she is an absolute joy and pretty easy going, our faces melt every time we try to figure how we're going to pull this off.  She's mobile and wants to crawl everywhere, it's a later ceremony and reception away from the hotel, plus we have to be there both Friday and Saturday night.  The 6 hour drive is no picnic, either... she's good for about 4 before she starts to go to the dark side.

We don't have any family nearby that can help.  Both the grandmothers are already deceased, the grandfathers are geriatric, and my brother, 1MechEng on here, is 5 hours away the other direction (not to mention already committed elsewhere for the weekend).  We approached our neighbors who have 3 kids, one of whom is only a few months older than our daughter.  They know the struggle on our end, and they graciously said they would watch her for the weekend.  They're great people, and PAs to boot, so we have full confidence in them.

So, we want to get them something to show our appreciation and that we don't take their offer for granted.  It's quite the sacrifice on their end.  Not only that, this would actually equate to our first date since the baby was born.  Yeah... we haven't taken any time for ourselves, which is a no-no.  We need to do better there.

They aren't Buckeyes, so nothing related to that will work.  We want to avoid the gift certificate thing... we'd like it to be a bit more personal.  We know some of their interests, but nothing that they BOTH like, so we're not sure on that front.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments