Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Need advice on moving to Houston

0 HS
BuckeyeGus's picture
March 12, 2016 at 2:26pm
88 Comments

My significant other and I are contemplating a move to Houston.  Her job is being relocated there so the move would essentially be free.  We currently live in Denver which is a nice town.  We don't really take advantage of the mountains since neither of us are skiers.  We've gone camping/hiking/rafting a few times but not really our thing.  I do love all the craft breweries here.  We don't have a lot of friends in town because we only moved here a few years ago - mostly people from work that we started hanging out with on weekends but wouldn't be leaving any family or lifelong friends behind.  All in all I like Denver but am not particularly attached to it.

She doesn't NEED to follow the job.  We are both in tax accounting careers where jobs are fairly plentiful.  It would certainly appear that there are more jobs in Houston than Denver,  Denver is a relatively small job market with few Fortune 500 companies in town it is mostly home to mid-market.

I really know nothing about Houston other than it is big, hot and fairly congested.  Also it is the current residence of a mensa member.  If anyone has spent significant time there or lived there please share any thoughts.  In particular - what neighborhoods would be best to live in - no suburbs so something inside "the loop"?  We'll be taking a weekend trip next weekend to check it out.

Thanks for the input

[Mod edit for clarity of title]

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 88 Comments