Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

VAN MORRISON’S "MOONDANCE" RELEASED – TIMH

+4 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture
February 28, 2016 at 7:13am
39 Comments

On February 28, 1970, Belfast, Northern Ireland’s Van Morrison released his perfect and timeless Moondance album. Morrison had recently moved his family to a mountaintop home in the Catskills near Woodstock, NY. That rarefied atmosphere infuses Van’s blend of R&B, jazz, gospel and Irish folk, backed by piano, rhythm section and precise horn arrangements. The backing musicians were hired from the area around Woodstock. Every song on the album is an original Van Morrison creation. The lyrics are poetic, impressionistic, spiritual and earthly at the same time. Departing from Van's abstract preceding album, Astral Weeks, the word paintings on Moondance are clear -- good thing, too, as Van is notoriously loathe to explain songs that "should speak for themselves". Moondance has been called a great white soul album. I don’t find it that easy to categorize. More discerning ears than mine have pointed out that Morrison's voice is an instrument that changes to fit each song on the album, and each of the 10 tunes stands alone and different from the rest. A rare feat.

Track Listing:

Side A – “And It Stoned Me” “Moondance” “Crazy Love” “Caravan” “Into the Mystic”

Side B – “Come Running” “These Dreams of You” “Brand New Day” “Everyone” “Glad Tidings”

Moondance only reached #29 on the album chart, but it has continued to sell for over 40 years and is currently certified triple Platinum. It’s ranked #65 on the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. The album is in the Grammy Hall of Fame and #72 on the Rock and Roll HOF’s list of the “Definitive 200” albums of all time.

A deluxe edition of Moondance was released in 2013, containing a new re-mastering of the original album, three discs of alternative takes and songs not selected for the album, and a Blu-ray disc with high-def, surround sound audio. Maybe someone out there could loan me a copy?

Happy Sunday! Enjoy!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 39 Comments