Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Sunday Night Dose of American Aviation Glory

0 HS
GoBucks10's picture
February 21, 2016 at 8:58pm
27 Comments

As a regular reader of FoxtrotAlpha's website (I recommend you add it to your daily reading list), I constantly see excellent videos of American air power fly onto my screen.  Today was no different, and I figured to kick-off the week, this would be a great thing to share.

I'll kick things off with the USAF Thunderbirds refueling from a KC-135 on their way from Nellis to Daytona for the NASCAR Daytona 500.  Now, you may think this would be a boring thing until you carefully consider the coordination needed to pull off even the simplest of refueling operations.  Notice around 1:50 in the video as the F-16 approaches that the boom operator has to swing the boom to the side to avoid striking the canopy before quickly swinging it back into place to dispense fuel.  Not to be outdone, the remainder of the Thunderbirds fly alongside in perfect formation.  One of the other more impressive things I like to notice is around 2:50, with the close-up shot of the F-16, you'll see the gun just to the pilot's left on the fuselage.  Evidence that these aircraft can be rapidly converted to combat-ready configuration in no-time. 

The other I noted today takes us from the world of the USAF to Naval Aviation with VFA-154 Black Knights.  BK provides an excellent 5 minute montage complete with carrier takeoffs and landings, missile shots, and more.  Sit back and enjoy.

The final one I'll leave you with, is one I've shared before, but probably one of my favorites.  I give you VFA-27 Royal Maces, "Shoot 'Em If You Got 'Em" from a couple years back.  Hang-on tight.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments