Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

My First 50 Mile Trail Race of 2016

0 HS
LABuckeye's picture
February 7, 2016 at 5:18pm
70 Comments

...ended in failure.

As I had noted in previous write-ups, I was working hard this year to take training seriously. I had dropped 15 pounds since the Angeles Crest 100 last year (I want to lose more, but hard to do when you don't diet, which isn't sustainable). I came in in very good shape, with plenty of long runs in the mountains. This was a hard 50 miler, with approximately 16,000 feet of climbing (and 16,000 feet of descending). Didn't matter. I was ready.

I camped Friday night in Malibu Creek State Park where the race would be run. Despite being sandwiched between two 75 degree days, the night was in the twenties and I froze my ass off putting on my running clothes at 4am. I warmed up some coffee on my camp stove. I suddenly had to race to the bathroom. I am amazed the toilet survived. Not a good thing before a race.

Because of the GI issues, I struggled with pain in my abdomen during the race. I also struggled with ingesting the necessary nutrients and water. None of that mattered, though. It was not enough to make me quit. I ran into the aid station at mile 23 with quitting the furthest thing from my mind. Something that rhymes with quitting but starts with an 's' was first and foremost, however. They had a toilet. I put it to good use. I finally had to pee for the first time all race. There was blood in it. Not a good thing.

I was a little bugged. I thought some about it. Headed out for the next 9 mile stretch anyway. Thought some more along the way. Three quarters of a mile later, I decided I was being stupid. I turned around and returned to the aid station to drop. I got a ride back to the campground.

Rough way to start my race year in 2016. I will rise again.

(Because I know it will be asked, to the best of my knowledge, I have no serious health issue. Blood in the urine happens in distance running sometimes, almost always because of an empty bladder and the inside lining of the bladder rubbing. It is always considered advisable to stop, however, when peeing blood. This is the second time it's happened in my ultrarunning history, the other being on a training run.)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 70 Comments