Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

3M's Super Bowl 50 Tailgate Fare

0 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
February 4, 2016 at 12:29pm
73 Comments

The Super Bowl is finally upon us, and with it comes one last recipe (for the year).  The recipe I saved for this week is extremely versatile, delicious, and packs a little lingering kick.  It's not a traditional dish for a Super Bowl party, but I think it's worth your while.

3M’s Spaghetti and Meatballs

INGREDIENTS

Sauce:
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 head of garlic, minced
1 - 16oz can tomato paste
3 - 29oz cans tomato sauce
2 – 16oz cans tomatoes, drained and squashed
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
1 Tablespoon dried basil
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
½ Teaspoon crushed red pepper (If desired, and I desire)

Meatballs:
1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 lb Italian sausage
1 Cup bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
2 eggs
1 Teaspoon salt
½ Teaspoon pepper
Olive Oil

DIRECTIONS

Sauce:  Cook the chopped onion in olive oil until translucent in a large Dutch oven (for stovetop preparation), or a large pot (for Crock Pot preparation, which is the only way I’ve ever made it).  Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes.  Add tomato paste and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, and spices.  Simmer, stirring occasionally for 4 hours (for stovetop), or cook in a Crock Pot on LO for 6 to 8 hours.

Meatballs:  About two hours before you’re ready to eat, make the meatballs.  Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.  Form them into balls (I make mine a little bit smaller than a golf ball.  After browning all sides of the meatball, drain them on paper towels.  Add to the sauce for an hour before eating.

PRO TIPS

You can simply brown all the meat and ingredients, minus eggs and breadcrumbs, for meat sauce, if desired.

When preparing in a Crock Pot, watch carefully for overflow, if it's full when you add the meatballs.  You may want to remove a little sauce and set aside, because the meatballs will release juice as they cook and increase the volume of the sauce.  And, as always, I recomment a Crock Pot liner.

Serving these as stand-alone meatballs will be thoroughly enjoyable, or you can have some hoagie rolls for killer meatball subs, especially when topped with some provolone.  If you’d like a little more flair for your Super Bowl spread, prepare some penne pasta to go with it.

After the meatballs are eaten, you can save the sauce to rehear Monday for some awesome spaghetti.

Enjoy SB 50!

Previous Tailgate Fare:
Fiesta Bowl Edition
Ho Ho Ho Holiday Edition
Weeks 9-12
Weeks 5-8
Weeks 1-4

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 73 Comments