Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Solving the marital argument

0 HS
steve-OH's picture
January 21, 2016 at 11:43am
113 Comments

Some prime off season discussion on these brutal winter days...

I honestly don't even know if my title is fully possible, and after 10 years of marriage I've learned much more than I knew early on. I've learned that much of the time for a marriage to be successful you have to swallow your pride and learn that the argument usually isn't worth the battle.

However, there are always those times when you really do feel you were right / they were wrong, or the situation wasn't handled correctly and feel your case needs to be presented.

Enter my specific scenario - I can be dominating in an argument / debate type setting and I typically aim for only one result, for the other party to say "I agree you were right." However, I am also usually fairly quick to admit that I was wrong afterwards and apologize, because I hate the feeling of conflict and want normalcy to resume quickly afterwards. My wife on the other hand, will rarely if ever apologize or admit she was wrong. She is also one to bottle it up and not even talk about it if she's upset about something, because she can't stand to argue about something with me. She'll bottle it up until she "gets over it," usually only to eventually come out in a bigger argument one day down the road.

So, oh married and wise ones, how do you handle conflict and disagreements in your relationship? Do you talk and hash it out? Have a yelling session? What goes on in your home when there is a problem between the two of you?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 113 Comments