Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

I have to talk about the Force Awakens (potential spoilers if you haven't seen it)

0 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture
December 25, 2015 at 9:32pm
17 Comments

I don't know what the hell the problem is with my close friends and family, but while I've seen the Force Awakens twice, none of them have seen it at all, and it's killing me having no one to discuss it with, so I'm starting this forum to get my thoughts, feelings, and opinions out there so that I can finally unclog my brain.

First off, Kylo-Ren has grown on me in a big way.  At first I thought he was a whiney sissy, I thought he was too much like Anakin Skywalker in the prequels, but then when I watched it that second time I realized that he's really feeding off of the emotions of the darkside in the way a Sith Lord is supposed too.  He has all of that hate, and resentment, and temptation, and frustration, and fear in him that all of those who are tempted and eventually give into the darkside are supposed to have.  I think, second to Darth Vader of course, he will end up being the best villan of the whole franchise, if they play it right.... I have some ideas and theories on how his character ends up, but that is for another thread at another time.

I love the character of Finn...  He's enough parts Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and he has enough original qualities (especially in his comedic banter) that he interests me, and I want to see where his portion in the story goes.  I think ultimately he ends up a huge part of the military end of the resistance, and not so much in the Jedi portion of things.  He's more of  Han than a Luke, but I see a little of both in him.  He's going to provide a lot of comic relief in the movie as well, and that can't hurt.  I think it would be cool to see him develop some kind of master/droid relationship with 3PO...  Those two would be pretty funny acting off one another.

I was skeptical when I heard that the force angle in the movie would center around a female lead, but Rey is a character I can get behind.  I do not mean that at all sexually so get your mind out of the gutter.  I love her back story, it fits the series so well.  She's believable, and it all works in synergy with everything around it.  She's obviously the Luke Skywalker of this generation with being from a desert planet, orphaned by her parents, unhappy in her existence and looking for more but obviously afraid of what she'll find if she looks too deep.  I LOVED the battle scene with Kylo-Ren.  I think JJ Abrams added enough elements to that scene that made it believable that Rey could stand up to KR and make it believable.  Ren's injury obviously played a huge part in that fight being played off how it was, and it looked great.  I thought her use of the force made sense, yes she was new to using the force, so she figured it out as she was going along, but the ways in which she used it all made sense.

I hope that Poe Dameron plays a much larger part in the movies to come.  Obviously he comes in to this film as the hot shot pilot...  Not sure if that narrative has been written for Star Wars yet ::cough cough:: Han Solo ::cough cough::...  But regardless, I think developing more of his persona, seeing his back story, where he came from, I think that will endear fans to him.  Not a ton to say about him because as of now he hasn't shown a ton.

Han Solo... Oh Han...  I will miss you my friend.  I will say in light of what happens to Han, Chewbacca gets a chance to show how much of a bad ass he is when he lights up those storm troopers on the Starkiller base.  It was awesome to see Chewy take the fight to people, not that he never did before, but this time it seemed more Rambo than it did Wookie.  Han's death was tough for me, I balled like a baby in the theatre, but it was pretty set up, and predictable... Either way it was well done in scene by both actors.

Also I cried like a baby when Luke finally made his appearance at the end...

Episode VIII is due out in May of 2017, so let's get stoked on it!

Sorry to post plot details but I feel like if you haven't seen it by now, you probably don't intend too, and I really needed to get all of this out of my brain.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments