Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

For The Turkeys Fryers Out There

0 HS
Oyster's picture
November 24, 2015 at 8:05pm
136 Comments

What do you like to inject your turkeys with and do you have any traditions?

I have been frying for well over 15 years.  I typically inject with a butter based mixture.

Drawn (salted) butter, some cooking sherry, teriyaki, garlic powder and seasoned salt.  I have added a rub before but it basically comes off once you put it in so I stopped that years ago.  Sometimes I will add a commercial Cajun mix to the injection to give it some kick.  This year I am going strictly with apple juice.

As for traditions, we fry a number of turkeys each year.  We are up to 4 so far this year.  The first is the "Eatin Turkey", (it is a small one, 10lbs or so) which is placed on the tailgate of the truck and we all just pick at it as we fry the other turkeys.  Neighbors and family will bring them over for me to fry at given times based on how many I am doing (each person has a time to be at my house so the process goes smoothly).  Once you have the fryer out, cooking them is easy, so why not keep going.  Our dinner turkey is cooked last.  We get up in the morning based on how many turkeys we are doing and Woodchuck Hard Cider is part of the day (morning).  We try to time the ending with the annual playing of Alice's Restaurant on QFM.  Some of the looks we get from first timers to have a turkey fried is priceless.  A bunch of drunks, in Carhartts, standing over a turkey fryer can be scary.  A few years ago we added in making fresh potato chips too, in between turkeys.  They go well with the "Eatin Turkey". 

What do you inject or rub with?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 136 Comments