Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Monday Meltdown - Illinois Edition

0 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture
November 15, 2015 at 10:39pm
131 Comments

F&*k terrorism and the horse it rode in on.

Now to football (sorry for posting late Sunday night instead of Monday morning, but whatever, take it out of my check):

None of us thought a mid-November trip to Champaign-Urbana would be fun, did we?  I know I sort of expected the game to be stupid…it just had that kind of feel to it.  And I was right, I think…maybe.  It was certainly boring.  This was me about halfway through the 3rd quarter:

In my view, the 2015 version of the fight for the wooden turtle can be summarized in 5 points:

1. B1G officiating is cool.

Is it just me or is B1G officiating absolutely awful?  The calls in our game aren’t going to go viral like the Michigan State v. Nebraska debacle from last week, but there were a couple in our game that were equally ridiculous.  One went for us and one went against us.  The JT Barret QB sneak on the goal line was an obvious touchdown.  The Zeke strip was an obvious fumble (sorry Zeke). Bad calls are going to happen, but bad calls after looking at them on replay?  C’mon.  I have to say … I’m mildly concerned about the refs screwing us in Ann Arbor in a game that’s close enough to matter.  My advice to Urban that he doesn’t need:  start working the officials from before the opening kick for the next couple weeks.

2. That pass blocking tho.

It’s hard to argue with the success of the run blocking – Zeke has been running wild.  However, JT was under duress the entire day and it was tough to watch.  This probably isn’t being objective, so blame me for wearing scarlet colored glasses if you want, but I believe we’ll see an entirely different offensive line for MSU and TTUN.  Our team knew it could beat Illinois with one hand tied behind its back … heck, it’s known that all season long.  This is where the season gets real.  We know it.  The players know it.  I've been waiting for these 2 games since February.

3. Joey Bosa played good football like a good football player plays good football.

I’m trying to choose my favorite Joey Bosa moment from Saturday.  I have it narrowed down to 2:  it’s either (A) Illinois uses 3!!!!!!!! people to try to block Bosa; or (B) Bosa throws a lineman into a quarterback and knocks him down, followed by Bosa tackling the running back on the same play.  Because I can’t find a visual for Bosa v. 3 Illini, I’m going with quarterback bowling:

All I want for Christmas is for Joey Bosa to stay for another season.

4. Zeke saves lives seasons.

We’ve flip flopped quarterbacks, lost interest in our opponents, suffered through all kinds of injuries, taken everyone’s best shot, overcome the pressure of trying to repeat, dealt with an OVI, etc.  All the while, our offense has had the luxury of throwing its collective hands in the air and handing off to Zeke to save the day.  If our passing game ever gets clicking again, Zeke might just get back to being the 200 yard per game robot that we saw during last year’s postseason.  Be afraid. 

All I want for Christmas is for Joey Bosa and Zeke to stay for another season.

5. The Buckeyes used to make field goals.

The job of a field goal kicker has to be difficult.  You sit over on the sidelines and wait around for an opportunity to do something.  Then you run in cold and are expected to perform under pressure.  If you make a mistake everyone hates you and it might be the next game before you get a chance to do anything again.  All that being said, our field goal kicking has been a touch on the frustrating side this year.  Saturday was no different.  When you’re in a “goal to go” situation you’re supposed to do no worse than 3 points. Let’s hope a close game doesn’t come down to a field goal this year.

#NugentforHeisman

Final notes:

Bert (BERT!!!) beat LSU.  Does that tell us anything about Bama?  It probably doesn’t, but LOL @ Les Miles anyway.  Unless you're Jen, then don't LOL...just sit there and hate yourself because you're married to Bert.

Say what you want about the Big 12, but that Oklahoma v. Baylor game was one of most entertaining non-Ohio State games I’ve seen in a long time.  Those two teams were ready to fight from the opening kick.  Plus, the shots to Mike Stoops in the press box were great.

The Browns suck (still).  Trivia question:  who was playing quarterback for the Cleveland Browns the last time they won at Pittsburgh?  Answer:  Tim Couch.  Yes, that Tim Couch. It was 2003.

TL;DR:  refs are blind; pass blocking face palm; Bosa and Zeke are above average; do we even kick, bros?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 131 Comments