Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Up in Smoke (Cigar Talk) - Minnesota

0 HS
zmoty9's picture
November 8, 2015 at 12:23pm
28 Comments

Welcome to the inaugural "Up in Smoke" cigar thread. I'll be hitting on week ten in college football, the Buckeyes, and this week's cigar and drink pairing. So with that...

Quick Hitters in College Football

- The American is now cleared up for MENSA Tom and his Cougs. A bit surprising to see Memphis go down yesterday.

- Does anyone know where they found a sleeping bag in Bert's size? That guy has gotten huge since leaving Madison. And it was disappointing to see him celebrating after the first second, er second chance.

- Kinda rolls in with the Buckeyes quick hitters, but does anyone know what constitutes Targeting? The rule seems incredibly ambiguous and no one, officials included, seem to know what it is. Vicious looking hit? Throw a flag and hope you're right.

Buckeye Quick Hitters

- Frustrating effort yesterday out of the young Buckeyes. The defense was very much solid but you could see them tiring after spending so much time on the field.

- Zeke is a damn beast and has been for quite some time. Really hoping he starts getting the national recognition of a Fournette or Boykin very soon.

- The best thing about being 9-0 is the chance for 10-0. On to Illinois for a chance to win a wood turtle thing.

Cigar and Drink Time

The best cigar is a victory cigar, so I was understandably excited to get home and light up.  Upon returning home, the dog and I bounded out to the balcony with cigar in hand to enjoy the victory.

To start out this potential weekly series, I chose a favorite of mine, the Asylum 13 Ogre. The Ogre is a wonderful, full-bodied Nicaraguan smoke, complete with dual Habano and Candela wrappers in a striking barbershop design. This cigar has a great, smooth draw and a very nice taste. It was a bit breezy in Charlotte last night so the smoke didn't get to hang in the air as much as I'd like, but still a pleasant smoke. I prefer my cigar time to last over an hour, so I went with a 7x70, which I think led to some uneven burning, but that tended to correct itself.

I went with a glass of Balvenie Doublewood 17 Year scotch to top off the victory smoke. The Doublewood 17 is a single malt aged in two different wood casks. The scotch has a smooth taste that went very well with the cigar. 

So with that, I'll wrap up this week's "Up in Smoke." Browns fans rejoice, for those Browns can't hurt your Sunday this week, because they hurt your Thursday instead.

Discussion Question: do you have any region/country preference to your cigars and if so, where?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments