Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

My family officially owns Ohio's largest Buckeye tree!

0 HS
Louie1131's picture
September 30, 2015 at 4:39pm
45 Comments

My grandfather (Dr. Louis M. Schoettle) recently passed away, but before he died he asked my father (Louis E. Schoettle) and I (soon to be Dr.!!!! Louis N. Schoettle) to have our back farm Buckeye tree inspected by the state parks and rec service to see where it ranks among Ohio's oldest and largest Buckeyes. My grandfather had been battling cancer for the last year or so and it took the Parks service a while, but we were able to inform grandpa that he had given our family Ohio's biggest Buckeye tree before he passed away! You can't accurately age the tree without cutting it down, so we won't know if its the oldest until it dies, but its pretty safe to say that if its not now, it will be very soon as the currently listed oldest Buckeye isn't nearly the size of ours. Our family farm is in West Portsmouth (take 23 south from columbus and keep driving until you hit the river). Grandpa (and Grandma) was a huge Buckeye fan, so I know this sent him out with a smile on his face.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 45 Comments