Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

OT... The Changing Terminology of Sports.

0 HS
CarolinaBuck's picture
September 28, 2015 at 8:35pm
23 Comments

Grumpy old man here. There are few things in life I get more annoyed with is change just for the sake of change. I just cringe at alternative uniforms whether they're black, blue, orange or pink.

But there is something really irritating me now and that's changing the traditional lexicon that I've grown used to over the decades with something cool or hip. I don't mean to pick on ESPN, but they must have a whole department that does nothing but come up with new ways to say things and force them on us whether we need them or not. Remember when a game winning hit or home run was a "game winning hit or home run?" Now it's a "walk off hit or home run." Just awful. The latest change for the sake of change is this term called the " line of gain " that's being used more and more in football games. What the hell is that? What was wrong with the officials or announcers saying a team needing 7 yards to reach the "first down marker or just first down line?" Now it's called this stupid term "line of gain." I just want to stab someone when I hear that. 

OK rant over

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments