Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Raising Awareness and a Father's Hero

0 HS
AuglaizeDonuts's picture
September 18, 2015 at 1:33pm
30 Comments

So, I have been meaning to post something about this for a while, but with all the dust that has been in the air today, I figured this was the proper time. 

For the past two years, my wife and I have held a fundraising event in honor of our son to raise money and awareness for Childhood Apraxia of Speech, which he was diagnosed with when he was 22 months old.  I'm not including a link to this years walk, which is this weekend, because I'm not writing this to ask for money or donations.  I am simply trying to spread awareness and provide myself with some much needed written therapy.

Some of you have probably heard of Apraxia through a recent story about Cardale Jones' Joshua Perry's a Marine's new bae, Ronda Rousey, learning that this was the same disorder she had as a child.  Here is a link if you would like to read/see it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/ufc-fighter-ronda-rousey-delivers-message-mom-helped/story?id=33361412

To put it simply, Apraxia is a neurological motor planning disorder where the brain knows what it wants the mouth to say, but there is a disconnect between the brain and mouth which cause the message not to be delivered. I am proud to say that after more than 3 years of weekly speech therapy, my son has made tremendous progress and his speech is almost equivalent to his peers.  My wife was just told yesterday by an expert who has seen him on numerous occasions that she feels he no longer is Apraxic. He is the hardest working kid I know and have ever met, and through this whole process has become my hero and inspiration.

www.apraxia-kids.org

Thank you for reading and providing me with an outlet to share a little bit of our story.
Go Bucks!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments