Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Any advice for a struggling grad student?

0 HS
Dweinz's picture
August 20, 2015 at 9:56pm
66 Comments

I've been struggling with a problem for the past year or so and I was hoping I could get some advice from my 11w friends.  Sorry, this post might be a little long.

I spent 5 great years in undergrad at OSU from 2008-2013.  Ever since my freshman year, I was convinced that I wanted to study consumer decision making, conduct research and eventually be a marketing professor.  Everything I did in undergrad was set up for reaching this goal - I even spent a 5th year so that I could be in a research program that was to help prepare students for grad school.  After graduating, I was lucky to be accepted into a marketing phd program where I am now studying consumer behavior.

The first two years of the phd program (which I just officially completed this July) are set up so that I take several marketing and statistics courses while working on research/developing ideas for my dissertation, and then taking comprehensive exams.  Years 3-5 in the program are devoted to teaching and working on the dissertation.

About this time last year, I really began to question if this is the right career path for me.  I enjoy the coursework/learning the new material, but I don't enjoy research.  This has really been weighing on me and has led to feelings of depression and anxiety about my future.  I've talked to different professors about their experiences in phd programs and they all shared similar experiences, but they were able to push through. I just don't know if that's possible for me, as I genuinely do not enjoy research or the idea of being a professor anymore (plus the toll this program has taken on my mental health).  I guess my biggest fear is that if I do decide to change directions and no longer go to grad school is that I wasted the last 7 years of my life chasing a dream I thought I had, and on top of that I am no more employable two years out of OSU than I was when I graduated.

So I guess I am wondering - do you think it is worth it to suffer through the last 3 years so that I can have a phd (and possibly enter industry after graduating rather than staying in academia), or should I cut my losses and take a new career path? Don't worry, in addition to posting a forum topic on an Ohio State football website, I also am meeting with my advisors next week to talk about this, and also with a former student who decided to leave the program early - I just wanted to get more opinions before I start gathering more information.

Thanks in advance for your responses, the 11w community has been one of the few bright spots for me and has really helped to keep me (kind of) sane while trying to figure out what to do.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 66 Comments