Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Favorite military story

0 HS
AirForceNUT's picture
July 2, 2015 at 3:19pm
72 Comments

I know there are a bunch of veterans on this part of the interwebs and i'm curious to know what everyone's favorite story is.

Here's mine:

I was TDY on an Army base living in a tent for a few weeks doing some training.  The base Commander comes up to my flight while we were in the middle of a field  and was extremely welcoming to us.  After speaking with us for about an hour he told us he was going to do us a favor.  He then told us to schedule a couple hours for the next day to do nothing.  Well the next day he comes back and tells us to get in our vehicles and follow him.  After about 15 minutes of driving we arrive at a flight tower.  We walk up to the top of it.  When we get to the top, I pull out my can of Skoal and put a lip in.  After he sees this, he takes my can of Skoal and puts the rest of it in his lip (this dude is awesome).  He then gives us ear plugs and tells us to stand out on the front walkway on the outside of the flight tower (at the very top of it).  Next thing we know, two A-10's start doing 50 foot flyovers right beside out freaking heads.  The A-10's then go off and circle around.  The Commander then points us in the direction of two tanks sitting about 500 yards to our left and when the 10's make their way around this time, they fire up that beautiful 30mm cannon and start releasing hell on these two abandoned tanks.  I'll never forget that guy or this day.  You don't know what loud is until you have some A-10's flying 50 feet off the ground right beside you.

With that said, what is everyone's favorite military story?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 72 Comments