Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Jeep Owners /Shift Cable Bushing

0 HS
awlinBrutus's picture
June 19, 2015 at 6:33am
20 Comments

I have a 08 4 door wrangler soft top. Recently the plastic bushing that connects the shift cable (automatic trans) disintegrated. Went to the dealer and several Jeep specialty shops and no one had them. Bought the whole shift cable from Chrysler/jeep $100. Once I got the center console apart I decided i'd rather blow my brains out than replace a shift cable on a jeep. I don't have a lift nor the tools a mechanic would have. I would have had to remove part of the dash to get to the top of the shift cable. I was able to get the part# after further googliness on the line. Quadratec of PA had them and I had 2 overnighted.$2.97 each plus tax and shipping. I just couldn't get my hands at it good enough to get the bushing seated 100%. I even spent $30 on a pair of 90 degree pliers (my buddy gave me $20 for them). Sure enough the shift cable disconnected again. I finally got it up on my buddy's lift and it took me 10 minutes to properly press the bushing and shift cable together with the tranny shift plate. The drive shaft is directly under where I needed to be. Some jeep guys drill out the shift plate and use a bolt and washer to hold it together. Such a terrible design. This was really the only problem I have had with my jeep after 170k miles. I can finally drive with confidence and return the shift cable to the dealer and tell him thanks for nothing. 68764273AA is the part# if anyone has the same problem.

tAAfNegpsF0bD5g&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments