Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Insight on Why Coach Meyer Goes Out of His Way to Help Assistant Coaches Find HC Jobs?

0 HS
Buckeye Jack's picture
May 14, 2015 at 2:41pm
12 Comments
Coach

Coach Meyer speaks about the lean times...

Zack Gase, Sun Times:

“I couldn’t find a job,” Meyer said. “Eventually a position opened up at Illinois State and I started there for $6,000 a year. I lived in the back of my car for a year-and-a-half. My fiancée (Shelley) then became my wife, and she supported me for about four years.”

Starting a family on an assistant coach’s salary wasn’t easy.

“When I was out recruiting, I couldn’t afford to come home every weekend. Sometimes I’d be gone five, six weeks at a time,” Meyer said.

“One weekend I got home, and the next morning I got up and went to take a shower. We had two little girls at the time and the one, GiGi, says, ‘Mommy, is that daddy?”

http://columbus.suntimes.com/cbus-sports/ohio-state-buckeyes/7/98/159865...

Meyer has had a slew of AC's go on to HC positions. Meyer has a reputation for encouraging AC's to "go to the next level". This rep has made an AC job under Meyer one of the most sought-after gigs in America. They say Meyer has a thick file of prospects for every coaching position. The guy has everything calculated.

The above article gives added insight into Meyer's empathy for his AC's.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments