Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Hokie for a Day

0 HS
Ohio1St81's picture
April 16, 2015 at 9:24am
15 Comments

Eight years ago today, 32 students and faculty were shot and killed on campus at Virginia Tech. At the time, I was a freshman at Ohio State; I remember thinking how easily it could have been OSU, and wondering why someone would do such a thing. Currently, I am in my first year of graduate school here at VT and I still have those same thoughts.

Virginia Tech and Ohio State have far more similarities than differences. Both are now large, well-respected research institutions with strong roots in agriculture and engineering that are still visible today. Both have a more blue-collar and scientific feel to their academia than our rivals, Michigan and Virginia, whose specialties seem to be things like law and liberal arts. I think the most obvious similarity, though, is the fierce pride that students, alumni, and fans of both schools have. Despite the size of both schools, I feel like a part of a close community in regards to both. 

Now that I know what a good community and place Virginia Tech is, I understand even less why someone would do what they did. It's a sad and rainy day on campus but I'm still happy and proud to be here and be a part of this university. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments