Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

150 Years Ago Today - THANK YOU to all Who Serve(d)!

0 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture
April 9, 2015 at 10:45am
16 Comments

150 years ago today, General Robert E. Lee unconditionally surrendered the Northern Virgina Army to Ulysses S. Grant and the United States Federal ("Union") Army at Appomattox Court House. Thus, marking the beginning to the end of the most embarrassing chapter in U.S. history - we fought a war to determine whether one human being could own another, simply based on their skin color.

Appomattox Court House as it Stood in 1865

I stand in appreciation of all of the brave young, and in some cases older, men who sacrificed their lives in order to re-unite our great nation and free millions of human beings who had once been counted as property, much like cattle or coins, simply because of the color of their skin. Over 500,000 Americans died fighting over an issue that should have been resolved on the Senate floor rather than battlefields all over the country.

The Surrender

I am grateful for every single man and woman who has put their lives on the line throughout our history, in order to preserve my right to do something as trivial as post on an Ohio State blog. I am ever grateful to you and your families, and proud to be an American who was, and is still, defended by you.

On this date, I am especially grateful to the Federal troops that helped to reunite our nation, and the President who oversaw the war that became necessary to bring the seceded states back into the fold. I am also proud to have been born an Ohioan, even more so in light of the significant contributions that Ohio made to the war effort, especially through military leadership.

O-H!

This post is not intended to be divisive. Rather, in light of strong feelings on many sides regarding the American Sniper issue at UM, I just wanted to express that I am grateful to anyone who ever has had, and ever will have, to make decisions regarding life and death in order to preserve the Union, on my behalf.

I am proud to be a Believer, an American, an Ohioan, and a Buckeye. Thank you for preserving my right to call myself all four, for without you, I probably couldn't.

The History of True Heroism

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 16 Comments