Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

March 19, 1968

0 HS
Marine1's picture
March 18, 2015 at 11:08pm
19 Comments

I found myself having just gotten off from work at Kreskes Dept Store, it was late, and my mother forgot to pick me up..... as I turned east on Broad Street passing the capital building the Snow began to fall, and as I walked the snow got heavier, by the time I got to Nelson Road, there were six inches or more on the ground, the harder it snowed the more scared for my life I got, by the time I got to Cassidy, It was more like trudging through the snow, I just past the Kahiki restaurant, when a Police Officer from Columbus stopped and told me to get in his car, his name was Frank Johnson, and when you looked at him, he reminded me of someone... he took me to my home on Pierce avenue in Whitehall.... When I went into my house, all was dark and quiet, and I was near frozen, and I stood in front of the fireplace for what seemed like an hour, when I heard coming from our stereo "Rainey Night in Georgia" by Brook Benton, and it dawned on me THAT WAS OFFICER JOHNSON....... I was 17 at the time, and I new I would be in Vietnam by the fall...........   I was so dumb and ignorant as a youth, I never forgot what a rather large black man did for me........ But I never went to thank him either ! that was my mistake.....  YOU SEE in growing up in Columbus in the 50's and 60's we NEVER knew there was such a thing as racism, we grew up not knowing anything other than we were different, but it never stopped our love for one another, This post is in hopes that someone from Officer Johnson's family will see this, and know that all through the eons SOMEONE STILL CARES for small favors..........  and to the moderators, please do not take this for anything other than what it is:  A confession, and tasking of Please forgive me my ignorance to days past...................thank you and GOD BLESS YOU as I have Been

Johnny R. Ferrell

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments