Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Ohio marijuana legalization

0 HS
1stYrBuckIClub's picture
March 1, 2015 at 3:26pm
18 Comments

I don't always create forum topics, but when I do, it's because the issue is stuck in my head. I know there's a diverse group of people on 11W, and that's why I brought this here. I read an article in the Columbus Dispatch yesterday (I believe it was today's edition, however) about the ResponsibleOhio marijuana legalization initiative. And to be honest, it was a bit disturbing. I'm a Gen-Xer (36 at this point), and fairly lax in my social leanings. I think that smart legalization is just that, smart. I'm not a marijuana activist, but I can see that a lot of law enforcement dollars are likely wasted on marijuana arrests and prosecution (and imprisonment). When I read this article, and the association with it (off-shore money accounts, multiple indictments of investors, felons who learned of the drug trade in prison, etc.) I was no longer questioning why their petition was rejected. They have the money to get this on the ballot, but not for the right reasons. They're trying to set up a legalized cartel, and it's a bit unsettling (thanks, Frostee Rucker--he's one of the investors). What are your thoughts? I'd read about another initiative called 'Ohio Rights Group' that seems to be less cartel-ish, and I'd prefer Ohio to take the medical approach first, not the profit approach.

**11W jail disclaimer: I did a search on this topic, and did not find a duplicate post

**Full disclaimer: I am a pharmacist, do not smoke marijuana, but am curious about the health benefits to patients after legalization.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments