Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Questions about being Superstitious

0 HS
Mitchellr15's picture
November 18, 2014 at 10:50pm
53 Comments

I grew up in a household that completely disregarded superstition as hogwash crazy fantasy. The idea of wearing something or moving something in your house or whatever influencing events in sports or something else is ludicrous. I thought for a long time that this was the opinion of the vast majority. In fact, I always thought the commercials (some beer? Maybe Bud Light?) were really dumb and insulting to sports fans. However, I've talked to a lot of people and read through that superstitions thread on here from a while ago. Perhaps more people believe in superstitions that I thought.

For such people, I have some questions. Do you actually believe your superstitions, or is it more of a casual thing you do or think of for fun? If you really believe it, isn't it stressful trying to manage them? Also, do you believe you can influence things other than just sports? Avoiding politics, but wouldn't it follow that if your shirt could influence something on a field it could also influence things that matter more like starvation, war, and economics? 

I'm not trying to patronize, I just thought for a long time my opinion was the accepted one. If that's not the case I'm hoping to walk in some others' shoes see things from a different perspective.

Thanks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 53 Comments