Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Rottweiler

AirForceNUT's picture
September 4, 2014 at 7:08pm
9 Comments

I know this is random but my wife wants another Rottweiler (male). Does anyone around Ohio know of any good breeders or places we can get a young pup that's not to expensive? Thanks in advance.

woodyson's picture

Tell her there aren't any or they're too expensive or whatever ... and then get a rescue instead.

+11 HS
KBonay's picture

^^^Can't upvote you enough for this.

+4 HS
AirForceNUT's picture

I would love to rescue but the only problem with that is that I want a young puppy to go through the whole puppy experience again. Most rescue dogs are older.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Check this site out.  I found my coonhound at ten weeks on this site.

+3 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

I'm all about getting puppies as well.  We have two boxers that I got at 6 and 8 weeks old, they're now 8 and 10 years old respectively and are absolute sweethearts with our 3 month old baby.  

I'm not trying to start a ruckus or anything (my comment history should reveal I'm a pretty peaceful dude) but why are some folks so openly and adamantly against buying from a breeder? I'm genuinely curious.  I've had folks flat out try and make me feel bad about getting pups from breeders when truth is, it's nobody else's business.  I mean, don't puppies that weren't purchased end up in shelters anyways? They need homes just as much as the rescued dogs, no? 

I realize that this isn't always the case, but based on my personal observations, the majority of incidents involving dogs that I've seen or heard about typically involved dogs that were rescued/found.  Again, I know there are plenty of good rescued dogs out there and yes they need homes too.  

But now that we have a little one running around the house I feel much more comfortable that I can trust my dogs to not flip out and maul my kid by having properly broken and trained my dogs since they were pups.  I'm all they know.  My young nephews climb all over my dogs pulling at their jowls/ears/neck skin and poke them in the eyes and they just lay there with their nubs wagging and occasionally lick the kids in the face.  

My mother-in-law is adamantly anti-breeder yet their dog has bitten/snapped at people more times than I can remember and she gets offended that I don't trust her dog around my child.  Don't get me wrong, I love their dog, it's just difficult for me to trust that it's not going to suddenly snap at my child for no reason.  

My brother-in-law rescued a boston terrier....the dog is a riot to hang out with until my dogs enter the picture, then the dog suddenly has ten pound balls and is ten feet tall.  They have to cage their dog, because it can't handle being around other dogs....which isn't fun for anyone, least of all the dog.  

Sorry for the long winded post, but in my opinion ALL dogs need homes.  Not just rescue dogs.   Sometimes it's better for a family to go to a breeder to get their puppy and I think that's perfectly okay.  I just think it's wrong for folks to make other people feel bad for buying from a breeder.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I am 100% with you on this when there are small children involved. I will only trust a full bred dog I have raised since tiny puppy around my beautiful children ages 4 and 6. Its at least once a week here in the Cincinnati area you read a headline of a dog killing or mauling a small child or elderly person either badly or to death. It only makes the headlines when it was a very bad attack because regular dog attacks happen multiple times a day everywhere. Some dogs were mistreated very badly and though they may seem like sweethearts it could only be a matter of time till that dog snaps. Hell my min pin I raised since birth starting biting people out of no where  because he was going delirious from liver cancer. Have to be on the safe side especially when small innocent children are involved and remember every single dog has a bit of wild Wolf in it.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
AirForceNUT's picture

I agree with you 100% OBB. I love that people rescue dogs but if I am going to invest that much time and money into a family pet, I prefer to get them at an early age that way I know they're properly trained to my liking. But with that said, it always makes me happy to see dogs being rescued.

logamaniac's picture

not to mention the assurances of health.  getting from a breeder that knows what they are doing can actually save you thousands and a lot of pain in the long run so thats something to think about as well.