Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Chicago Help

gonzogrover's picture
August 20, 2014 at 1:15pm
9 Comments

My wife and I will be in Chicago for the Navy game and I need a bar to watch it at. We're staying at downtown just a block off Millenium Park and are hoping for something we could walk to. Thanks for any help! Go Bucks!

Toolface4's picture

McGees on Webster and Sheffield is not walking distance, but short cab or train ride. Right by DePaul. They will have the game on every TV and playing over the loudspeakers. Give you a big 32oz OSU mug and I think it is $8 to fill up. Good neighborhood nothing to worry about

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

I'd recommend McGees but its going to be loud and youd better be ready to stand if you're not there by kickoff. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
Toolface4's picture

http://www.chitownbars.com/Ohio-State-Buckeye-Bars-in-Chicago-.aspx

only one Ive been to on that list besides McGees is Mickeys and I haven't been there for a game, so can't give you my opinion.  I second TOAD, McGees will be loud and crowded..

toad1204's picture

I put that link up too initially then I realized most of those bars are closed.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

chitown buckeye's picture

Old Crow in Wrigleyville (Clark St)  is a great Buckeye bar and BBQ joint. They had awesome gameday specials there last year. $30 all you can drink and eat (buffet) during the game.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+1 HS
TheShookster's picture

I grew up in Chicago but moved away before I was ever old enough to drink...my dad just went there and said it was awesome. 

Overnumerousness's picture

I would actually recommend O'Donovan's on Irving Park/Hoyne. Less of a college bar, leans more towards neighborhood Buckeye pub. I'll be there on Aug 30th at 11am sharp for the kickoff. 

Overnumerousness's picture

I just realized you said you're staying downtown. O'Donovans would be difficult to get to, it's way up on the north side. 

Ahh Saturday's picture

I can't believe I'm about to recommend this joint, but Joe's on Weed St can have a pretty lively atmosphere.  When I used to go there for game days --a while ago, I'll admit-- the thing I enjoyed is that it wasn't a Buckeye bar, just 120 screens playing every single game that's on.

+1 HS