Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Had to put my dog down today

HotSauceCommittee's picture
August 14, 2014 at 8:08pm
49 Comments

Had to put my 13 year old lab down today. One of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Days like today not even 11W can put a smile on my face. 

Knarcisi's picture

Really sorry. I have a 5 year old lab. Truly my best bud. My wife says he gets more love than she does. I tell her that he's always happy to see me and never talks back. I'll be a basket case when the day comes. Go get a puppy and do it again. 

+6 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I'll be a basket case when the day comes.

I hear ya.  That's why I've a lump in my throat for HSC, right now.   I've a little ankle biter, a white shih tzu  named Ava and had a close call last winter with her, I shocked myself with the amount and intensity of grief I felt when we almost had to put her down (thankfully, did not have to, but that's a story for another time).

Man's best bud, indeed.

If you need italics to understand or imply sarcasm, then you're doing it wrong.

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

My dog is getting close to that...I can't imagine that day. She's my best friend. Sorry for your loss!

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+5 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Sorry man, that is a tough tough thing to do.  Hang in there.

+4 HS
Rob Reese's picture

The loss of a dog is one of life's tougher days.  Very sorry to hear about your loss.

If you need italics to understand or imply sarcasm, then you're doing it wrong.

+4 HS
Katzfan's picture

Sincerely feel for you man. Went thru same thing with my female Schnauzer. She was the best dog I couldve ever imagined having! Its awful when you have to make that decision because they depend on you. Im sure you did the right thing bud. Keep your head up and put LOTS of pictures of him/her up around ypur house. It gets easier but it still SUCKS bad! Really sorry for your loss!

+4 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

Sorry for your loss man. It's crazy how close you can get to a dog. They are awesome animals and truly become part of your family.

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

My condolences HSC. Had to put down our Tabby on Memorial Day...still get busted up (now) when I think of him.

Know your lab is in a better place, and that one day you'll cross paths again.

Hate Week runneth over

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Sounds cheesy I know, but it's post like these and sharing moments like this that make 11W so great. 

I have a 7 year old Maltipoo that I got for my wife for her birthday at 6 weeks old. He is wonderful, and is my little buddy. He has been wonderful to both of our little girls, and relishes the chance just to be touched. Even when he lays down anywhere, he has to have contact with someone. I keep hoping every day that he lives until he's 50 (in human years), because I'm not sure that I could cope. I'm sorry for your loss.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+6 HS

3 months ago she was fine. Then all of a sudden she couldn't keep food down. Later she was officially diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. She quit taking her pills and eating 4 days ago. Had to carry her like a baby all week.

+6 HS
Buckataltitude's picture

So sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs to me show true love. No wonder they are considered man's best friend. Hang in there.

+4 HS
Habu71's picture

Sorry to hear of this loss, hang in there. 

+3 HS
BuckeyeStevo's picture

Had to put my 13 year old Siberian Husky girl down 4 weeks due to kidney failure.  My other dog still looks for her and that hurts!  Sorry to hear HSC about your pup.  Hang in there. 

+5 HS
hodge's picture

I'm pretty loyal to my Buckeyes, but even more so to my Coonhound. The day I lose her, I don't think even a win over Michigan would make me feel better. 

My deepest, sincerest condolences. 

+4 HS
Buckshaw79's picture

Sorry to hear man, its never easy and only thing that will help is time. I had to say goodbye to my Beagle, Scarlet, a little over a year ago. we have other dogs but she was my girl. Always slept beside me, even that occasion when I woke up passed out on the floor, she would be right beside me. I sobbed for a solid week when we had to put her to sleep. I still have moments when I think I hear her bark or see her sitting in her favorite spot. Screw Cancer. 

"Be the man your dog thinks you are"

+6 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

My beagle, Scarlet, can carry on the legacy. She's 3 and it makes me sick to think that she'll be gone someday. 

+1 HS
Buckshaw79's picture

I told myself that I would never have another Beagle but every time I see one I cant help but smile. Maybe enough time passes I can bring myself to do it. 

"Be the man your dog thinks you are"

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

They're great dogs. If I could train them not to run away, I'd have five. 

mtrotb's picture

Remember you had it for 13 years.  Back in the fall of 10 I had to put down both my golden retrievers within 19 days.  One had liver cancer, the other lymphoma.

mtrotb

+2 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

I'm very sorry for your loss, I know your pain. This too shall pass. 

+3 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

I had to put my first dog down last Oct. 26th.  She was a little older than 12.  It sucked hard and I still miss her quite a bit.  My wife works as a teacher and the class across from hers is the animal science room.  Teachers bring in dogs they find to that teacher all the time.  Well my wife, connected with this abandoned puppy that was brought in on Nov. 11th.  I had zero interest in getting another dog so soon, but she insisted on bringing her home for me to at least check out.  It turned out to be one of the best things she ever did.  She's only 16 pounds but adorable and I wouldn't trade her for anything.  I love that little dog and she brightens my day, every single day.

So my condolences go out to you.  But when the time is right, trust me, your heart will begin to heal and you will be ready to give another dog a great home whether that is in a week or a year.  

+4 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

Thank God for good pets (and better wives)!

+4 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Yeah.  I named her Scarlet and I'm on the lookout for a good *ichigan plush toy because she loves to play tug of war and tear stuffed things up.  Figured that was the perfect thing for her to tear up.

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I put down my childhood beagle/spaniel just a few years ago. Let it hurt. You can try to distract yourself, but it won't work. Losing my dog was harder than losing elderly family members. You're just never ready for a dog to go. Man's best friend, for sure. 

+4 HS
osu407's picture

I'm very sorry for your loss. 

+2 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

Very sorry for your loss. I have a 14 year pug that's getting close he's watched me act like an ass on very many Saturdays

If you will it dude, it is no dream

+3 HS
UrbanBuckeye's picture

Sorry, man. I had to put down my 8 year old golden retriever two summers ago. Losing your shadow/man's best friend is brutal. I completely understand.

In Urban We Trust!

+3 HS
BullCityBuckeye's picture

Very sad to hear this.  Funny how much we get attached to these little critters.

+3 HS

Placing her in the car to head to the vet and watching my kids crying was the hardest part. Last night was super tough knowing it was the last time she would be sleeping at my feet. She was great freaking dog.

Thanks for all the stories and kind words.

+6 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

Sad to hear HSC. Had to put down my 17 yr. old cat. Had just graduated from tOSU (so you can see I had her since I was a little kid). I sat in the parking lot of the Vet clinic and cried for 15 minutes. Not ashamed to admit it, either. Pets are some of the purest forms of unconditional love we'll experience on this planet.

+4 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Sorry to hear. Just think of all the good times and the times where you were red in the face pissed and hope it drives you to raise another fine dog. There is no life without death. 

Read my entire screen name....

+3 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I lost my 7 year old female boxer to cancer this year. I was devastated. I rescued her when she was 6 months old. Best friend i ever had. I am still very upset 7 months after i lost her.

+4 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Feels bad man. 

After a day or two, I'd consider making a list of memorable moments you shared...as well as the quirks and things that made your dog unique.  I did this when my dog died and it was kind of cathartic to go through all those memories, but also because it's important to me not to forget and I don't completely trust my memory to do the job.

+4 HS
BuckeyeStevo's picture

Changed my pic to my recently lost Siberian Husky Kyah and wearing her OSU jersey.  Pic was taken right after OSU beat Arkansas.  Nice to read how so many on here love their pets.  By the way, I miss my dog but it is 10:06 pm and TTUN still sucks! 

+5 HS
allinosu's picture

If you look at my icon you will see George which was about her dying and my first post "My old dog George died." The people here wrote a lot of nice things that helped ease the pain. I hope you find the same comfort. I read the other day where a women wrote about her dog saying" If you lock you husband and dog in the basement a for couple of hours then open the door, the dog will be glad to see you.

+4 HS
Taspra's picture

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had to do this a couple times myself and it is truly one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do. Some people may question if it's worth it as they grieve for the loss of their beloved pet. My answer is always yes. The amount of joy they bring you everyday will live on forever. Keep in mind always the great memories.

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Condolences HSC, don't know what I would do without my two Shiba Inus, Archie Griffin and Scarlet.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS
ATT2121's picture

So very sorry for your loss. Words cannot do justice to the impact that a pet can have on your life. I've posted this before but hopefully it will help:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. 

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. 
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. 
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. 

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. 
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. 

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. 

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. 

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown...

"It all goes so fast, and character makes the difference when it's close."
Jesse Owens

+5 HS

This was great. Thx for posting.

+2 HS
ATT2121's picture

Glad to be of some help. 

"It all goes so fast, and character makes the difference when it's close."
Jesse Owens

Buckataltitude's picture

Hang in there and be tough. I have yet to put down one of my dogs (children), but can't imagine the hurt. My wife and I recently put down a horse we had for only 6 years, but I cried like crazy. I can only imagine your grief, as dogs become truly family and show unconditional love.

+2 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

My dog is 14 years old, turning 15 in January. Its going to be rough for my family. However, i wish you luck in coping with your loss. 

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

So sorry guy for your loss - Hang tough - tomorrow the sun will rise - it will get better a little further on down the road.

+2 HS
apack614's picture

I'm very sorry to hear for your loss!

If it makes you feel any better I have a 1 year old lab that weighs 100 pounds and destroys everything he touches, I'm sure you remember those days!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
KevinJ's picture

HotSauceCommittee sorry for your loss man, I know it sucks, take solace in the fact you provided a great loving home for your pup. I had a 12ry old Black Lab (Rebel) pass away last Sep, he passed when I was asleep and my Vet told me I was lucky he went the way he did. I still had my 9yr Yellow Lab (Ranger) who was stricken with Vestibular Disease in Feb, it got to the point I had to put him down in March, and it was really hard on me. That dog loved me and was always by my side he was like a 9yr old puppy very energetic and athletic, he had some wheels and could jump to go with some serious Frisbee tracking skills, still think about Ranger quite a bit.

I just picked up an out of control 8 month old German Shepard from a Family that really had no idea how to or what it takes to train a dog so hopefully a few months from now I'll have her trained up and behaves like I expect my dogs to behave. Right now it's puppy madness, looking forward to the journey though.

+2 HS
Clancy's picture

Sorry to hear about your loss HSC. It is a very difficult thing to go through. It is ok to grieve, your dog is just as much a part of your family as any other member. All that any of us can do everyday is to try and give our best effort. Be a good father/mother, be a good husband/wife, be a good person. It is very apparent that you were a good dog owner. You gave your lab 13 great years. You were lucky to have each other. Focus on all of the good things that you brought to each other. Your dog lived a long and happy life and you were both lucky to share that time together. It will take time to heal, but things will get better and you will appreciate the time that you shared together. Keep your head up. All the best

+2 HS
Bucki78's picture

Sorry for your lose my friend.  We had to put our 12 yr old chocolate lab down in Feb.  Be strong my friend!

"But I don't have to rely on a lot of people to tell me about the traditions of Ohio State. I lived it, I breathed it, I know it and I love it." - Urban Meyer

+1 HS
Mr. Bungle's picture

So sorry to hear about your dog.  I had to put down my cat last week.  He was 24.  He was in amazing shape for his age but his kidneys just wore out.  Hang in there.  Let me know if you want to grab a drink (or twenty) to kill the pain.

+1 HS

Wow, 24 years. That is crazy.
I keep hearing my pups toenails clip clop across our wood floors. Vet sent us flowers today, which was nice, but I lost it. Hoping a busy weekend distracts me.

+2 HS