Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

$15 Million

Sebastian's picture
August 13, 2014 at 1:53pm
23 Comments
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/sy3JHx5KtOSWCyGBjEA4aA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTQxODtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz03NTk-/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2014-08-13/44744970-22ee-11e4-afc2-977118137211_e0813poker.jpg

This Guy just Won 15 million dollars ,but you would never know it

BuckeyeinSavannah's picture

I think it says in the article that he may have only paid 10% of the 1 million entrance fee.  That means he probably got about 1.5 million and not the 15 million everyone thinks he won. 

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

So you'd be what? Upset about that?

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

How was he eligible to play if he only ponied up 10% of the entrance fee?  That doesn't make a whole lotta sense.  It should be everyone has to front the same amount, no?

flying-banana's picture

People staked his entry fee. So they get portions of his winnings like buying stock in a company.

Sebastian's picture

True, but he still won a million

mmounts's picture

yea I'd be pissed to have to settle for 1.5 mill.....

+4 HS
BAR43's picture

Clearly he has a good poker face..

+9 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Money doesn't matter to him.

+8 HS
OSUStu's picture

Fred Durst makes me sad.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This made me laugh.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

That gal in the red dress does NOT...

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Why is he in a winter coat and she is in a dress?!?

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Seems as tho everyone but Fred is in summer attire

HotSauceCommittee's picture

This is great Buckeye Knight. Was just listening to some Limp Bizkit yesterday ay the gym.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

He's still in shock that he beat the flopped Ace.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I can almost see the thought bubble above his head:  "I knew I should have convinced her to sign that pre-nup."

Italics are for emphasis.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Do they put make-up on those guys? Guess it makes sense considering they are on camera and ESPN would want them to look pretty. Just...odd.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

BierStube's picture

He just realized that sweet witness protection program gig is now up in smoke ....

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

Groveport Heisman's picture

Kid was struggling with some very serious thoughts there. Hopefully they were good thoughts.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Wheres the vomit bag when you need one?

-1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

He's probably shy and doesn't know what to do with himself.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

-1 HS
lippertini's picture

"I really don't owe anyone an explanation but Ill give one...

First off, I don't owe poker a single thing. I've been fortunate enough to benefit financially from this game, but I have played it long enough to see the ugly side of this world. It is not a game where the pros are always happy and living a fulfilling life. To have a job where you are at the mercy of variance can be insanely stressful and can lead to a lot of unhealthy habits. I would never in a million years recommend for someone to try and make it as a poker pro. 

It is also not a game where the amateurs are always happy to be losing their money for the sake of entertainment. The losers lose way more money at this game then winners are winning. A lot of this is money they cant afford to lose. This is fine of course because if someone is dumb enough to gamble with money they cant afford to lose, that's their problem. Im not really buying that though. In a perfect world, markets are based on informed consumers making rational transactions. In reality sadly that's not the case, markets are based on advertising trying to play on peoples impulses and targeting their weaknesses in order for them to make irrational decisions. I get it if someone wants to go and play poker on their own free will, but I don't agree with gambling being advertised just like I don't agree with cigarettes and alcohol being advertised. 

It bothers me that people care so much about poker's well being. As poker is a game that has such a net negative effect on the people playing it. Both financially and emotionally. 

As for promoting myself, I feel that individual achievements should rarely be celebrated. I am not going to take part in it for others and I wouldn't want it for myself. If you wonder why our society is so infatuated by individuals and their success, and being a baller, it is not that way for no reason. It is their because it serves a clear purpose. If you get people to look up to someone and adhere to the "gain wealth, forget all but self" motto, then you can get them to ignore the social contract which is very good for power systems. Also it serves as a means of distraction to get people to not pay attention to the things that do matter.

These are just my personal views. And yes, I realize I am conflicted. I capitalize off this game that targets peoples weaknesses. I do enjoy it, I love the strategy part of it, but I do see it as a very dark game. 

Happy to read any ones opinions that could convince me otherwise of my views."

-1 HS