Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Craft Beer Thread

Bluke221's picture
August 12, 2014 at 11:08pm
216 Comments

After doing a little searching I couldn't come up with any existing thread dedicated to the exploding craft beer craze. I have seen craft beer threads on other forums so I thought it would be cool if we could have something like that here at 11w. Just a place to share cool new beers that people have tried from all over the country or even the world. For those who are inclined, it might be nice to include a rating, say on a scale of 1 to 5 with .5 increments, for beers shared. If you wanted to get even further in depth you could offer ratings on aroma, pour, color, taste, etc.

I will start with a few of my favorites.

Two Hearted Ale from Bells - this is a pretty popular one in this part of the country and it is currently at the top of the list for me and a go to whenever I'm in the mood for a good IPA. 4.5/5

Derailed from Toxic Brew Company in Dayton, OH - had this for the first time over the weekend and immediately bought a growler of it. Has the nice bite of an IPA and packs a punch at over 8% abv. Definitely need to get my hands on more of this. 4.5/5

Ermals Cream Ale from Warped Wing in Dayton, OH - another local brewery here in Dayton that makes my favorite cream ale (though admittedly I just started getting into them). 4/5

Hopefully this is a thread we can keep going. I'd love to hear about other quality brews people are trying so I can give them a shot. If there is already something like this then maybe we can rekindle it. Cheers!

TheBadOwl's picture

Zaftig (Worthington) is pretty great. Also a huge fan of the Antihero IPA from Revolution. And of course, Dogfish Head 90.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Dogfish head is definitely a strong choice.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+3 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Agreed with Dogfish.  I grew up about 20 minutes from their brewery, and this was when the whole craft beer was in it's infancy, so I always felt a little sense of pride that this delicious beer was being brewed in Delaware.

+2 HS
KevinJ's picture

DFH 90 minute is great and my favorite IPA but for a daily drinker I prefer the 60 minute due to the lower ABV, if I'm in a bar/store/restaurant and can't find DFH my next go to is Bells Two Hearted.  I wish Left Hand was still distributed in my area I really like their Sawtooth Ale and Milk Stout, I like Stone IPA as well but it's a bit pricier than DFH and Bells, Our local brewery puts out some nice beers as well.

+1 HS
leezy531's picture

Elysian Immortal IPA is quite tasty, however I have not seen it in Columbus. CBC Sohio Stout is damn delicious, but I haven't seen that anywhere.

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture

I'll be heading out the Ocean City on Saturday and will be stopping by the Dogfish Head Brewery. Very excited.

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

make sure to do the tour

45OH4IO's picture

Left Hand Milk Stout. I want to visit Colorado to see that brewery.

Cinti has a Brew Bus tour you can go on for ~60 bucks or so. 4 local breweries, 20 samples, a soft pretzel and a t shirt! WAT?!?!

+7 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

The milk stout makes me happy, going out to Denver this weekend and hoping to make it to Left Hand

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Left Hand Milk Stout is just tits...especially on Nitro.

+3 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Left hand now does nitro for other brews as well. Sawtooth in particular. But left hand is till the best stout made with lactose I have ever had.

+1 HS
aboynamedtracy's picture

If you can get your hands on it, I recommend Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk stout.

45OH4IO's picture

WHAT?!?! WHERE??

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

I think Left Hand Milk Stout was the first, or nearly the first, beer that I truly enjoyed when I moved beyond the swill I drank in college.  I like IPAs and hoppy beers now but I didn't at the time, so this was what pushed me into being a craft beer fan.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Whoa Nellie's picture

Anything from 3 Floyds, Munster, IN

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+6 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

I concur.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

GreatLakesMike's picture

Upvote on this suggestion. Great beers.

Scipio's picture

My latest addition to my growing list of "favorite Breweries". I love Zombie Dust and Dreadnaught. Fantastic beers. 

I just can't get them very often. I have to rely on me beer guy getting some now and then and friends who can will supply me from time to time. 

740buckeye's picture

Warsteiner Premium Dunkle is a favorite, from Warstein, Germany. It's a pretty smooth dark lager, has a little bit of a bite to it. 4/5

Raging Bitch - Flying Dog Brewery in Maryland. Belgian style IPA, very crisp taste & great flavor notes. 4/5

All Day IPA - Founder's Brewing Company, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Must be a Michigan thing. This is a very popular beer by most accounts, but not this one. Tasted like straight grass. Les Miles woild love this. 2/5

Summer Ale - Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn, New York - Definitely a winner. Very light citrus & hops flavor. Could easily put a sixer away without much effort. 4.5/5

Fat Tire - New Belgium Brewery - Fort Collins, Colorado - Everything you've ever heard is true. 5/5

Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company - Wisconsin - Love this beer. Beer + Lemonade = Delicious. Another beer that can be consumed in copious amounts with little effort. 4/5

There's a few to get you started. Also, just about anything from the Buckeye Beer Engine in Lakewood is a safe bet to be awesome.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Gotta love New Belgium. Fat Tire and 1554 are both great.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

aboynamedtracy's picture

Never understood the Fat Tire hoopla. I put it in the same echelon as Shiner Bock and Spotted Cow (among others); they're pounders. All of them go down easy and serve their purpose, but there's really not much going on flavor wise.  

+5 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I'm with you. When I went out to Denver last summer, that was the first time I tried it and was pleasantly surprised, but that mostly stems from it being new. I now put it in the same echelon as Yuengling...a good beer but nothing really spectacular about it.

+1 HS
ElGato69's picture

If you like IPA's & New Belgium, I recommend Ranger - very tasty!

USDA Choice Buck Steak's picture

If you're an IPA person Columbus Brewing Company makes a couple of great ones.

CBC IPA and also their DIPA Bodhi.

+4 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

The Bodhi is just amazing. The best beer in Ohio for my money.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Highly recommend the Bohdi.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Scipio's picture

I was in Columbus for business yesterday and stopped in to CBC for dinner and hopefully...Bodhi. 

So how happy was I when they tapped a new barrel as I sat at the bar? So happy I bought a Growler to take home with me. Gawd that beer is good. 

drtz's picture

I am naming my kid Bodhi, and my wife agrees... all due to the CBC's DIPA deliciousness!

BROSEPH's picture

This is one of my favorites, and I love the name too.

+3 HS
sbentz4's picture

Good beer, but not as good as "Chillwave" imo which is what they had to change the name of Alchemy hour to.

+4 HS
droessl's picture

Chillwave uses Mosaic hops, which makes it amazing in my book! 

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

You're all correct. They both are fantastic.

+2 HS
cronimi's picture

I was planning on posting this exact sentiment when I saw the LE Monster label. LE Monster is good, but Chillwave is one of my all-time favorites. I hope GLBC makes it a year-round offering.

+2 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

I miss the dopplerock bock they replaced with rye of the tiger, in my opinion the best bock beer 

If you will it dude, it is no dream

cronimi's picture

As I'm not a huge fan of bocks and I really like Rye of the Tiger, I must respectfully disagree. RotT is one of the best rye beers I've ever had. The rye isn't too strong, very well balanced.

GreatLakesBeer's picture

No disrespect to Rye of the Tiger but there just isn't too many good bocks out there and Dopplerock was the best

BROSEPH's picture

I recommend getting the Untappd app for your smartphone.  Keeps track of all the beers you drink, rate them, see what others nearby are drinking, get recommendations, etc.  It's helped me expand my knowledge on beer tenfold.  

+8 HS
buckeyebfd's picture
+1 HS
cronimi's picture

Agreed. BeerAdvocate has a new app out now, which I also recommend. All their beer rankings/reviews in an easy to use app.

sbentz4's picture

Thanks. This app is pretty cool.

whiskeyjuice's picture

I was in Lafayette, Louisiana for a few weeks for work. I drank quite a bit of Abita beer. It is a local brewery there with many different styles they brew. I don't have any stats handy but it was pretty good. I suggest beer lovers to check it out when down in that area. It tastes better while wearing Buckeye garb.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Mhennin2's picture

Dogfish Head Festina Peche was my favorite seasonal beer this summer, blew Summer Shandy out of the water 4.5/5

Dragons Milk by New Hollands is a very smooth stout where you get the really good chocolate and coffee tones 5/5

Twisted Kilt by Thirsty Dog is a scotch ale that i fell in love with from the first sip as well. Smooth like a stout yet you get a great, but not overwhelming, taste of scotch. 4.5/5

Dogfish Head 90 min IPA is the best IPA i've had, i'm not quite into IPAs as much, but if i had to choose it would be that one

+1 HS
sbentz4's picture

Drinking a Ommegang Hennepin right now, really good farmhouse saison.  Highly recommend anything from them including the three philosophers quad ale.  Also, evil twin has some really great porters and stouts if that is your style, just picked up 2 imperial doughnut breaks.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

I actually had Hennepin for the first time yesterday. Thumbs up.

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

The Rare Vos is really great as well. Perfect balance.

TheShookster's picture

There's a lot of good craft breweries in Indianapolis...Fountain Square has my favorite, it's a seasonal thing, a coffee infused stout...if that's your kind of thing, it's the best one I've had. It's simply called N.O.S.

Also how has Aaron CRAFT not opened his own CRAFT brewery yet? Ahh that's right he's too busy being one step away from the NBA...

+1 HS
aboynamedtracy's picture

My favorite coffee stout is Beer Geek Brunch Weasel by Mikkeller. The coffee they use is harvested from the excrement of the civet. It's extremely robust and slightly disturbing.

DCNick's picture

Drinking some Little Sumpin' from Lagunitas tonight. It's a fantastic Cali IPA. My favorite beer season is the Fall because you get more of the beers with spices like pumpkin beers and Christmas ales. My standard Saturday in the Fall includes an IPA (Lil Sumpin, Loose Cannon or Schlafly APA), a pumpkin (Pumpkinhead, Sams, etc) and a Belgian, typically an Ommegang (only good Belgian beer made in the USA). Raging Bitch is also good because it fulfills the IPA and Belgian requirements.

+4 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Lil sumpin is my favorite beer. I was only able to get it in Chicago for a time because it was costly to ship it any further east, but they recently, or will soon be, opening a brewery in Chicago making it more acccesible to the east coast. 

bucknutz18's picture
Chicago- Revolution Anti-hero IPA.  Available in some spots in Columbus.  Best IPA I have ever tasted.  
+2 HS
bbb's picture

well then you haven't had Pliny the Elder, it seems

+2 HS
bucknutz18's picture

have not got my hands on one yet.  If you got any send em my way :)

hodge's picture

I wasn't very impressed with Pliny. Granted, I don't know how old the bottle was, so there's a good shot that the hops had degraded by the time I tried it. 

The best IPA I've ever had was Three Floyd's Zombie Dust. Though it's technically a hopped pale ale, I've never had a better hoppy beer. 

+3 HS
bbb's picture

Try their Dreadnaught, you won't be disappointed

aboynamedtracy's picture

Zombie Dust is brilliant. My IPA Hall of Fame also includes Heady Topper by The Alchemist, Lawson's Finest Double Sunshine, Pseudo Sue by Toppling Goliath and Firestone Walker Union Jack.

+2 HS
Bluke221's picture

What part of the country are you guys getting Pliny? I've inquired about it at a couple locations in Dayton and was basically told good luck finding it.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

+1 HS
BUCKtuckian's picture

Russian River only has limited distro in Cali, Denver and Philly. Either you visit, trade online or someone brings you one from said places. Still not real easy to come bye. The bench mark DIPA, IMO.

People are saying that I'm an alcoholic, and that's not true, because I only drink when I work, and I'm a workaholic.
Ron White

TheBadOwl's picture

I tried it because Revolution is the setting of the movie Drinking Buddies (which I loved, but I know people who hated it), found out that 4th Street had it, and immediately fell in love.

TheShookster's picture

Another favorite of mine is Carlos Hydeweizen, a smooth wheat beer that will knock you on your ass. 

+6 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Another favorite of mine is Carlos Hydeweizen, a smooth, handsome wheat beer that will knock you on your ass. 

FIFY

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

bbb's picture

Barley's is my favorite columbus brewery. Sorry but CBC isn't that great (except their ipa)

The best Ohio brewery (and it isn't even close) is Hoppin' Frog. I highly recommend Boris the Crusher, DORIS the Destroyer, and Gangster Frog IPA

+1 HS
USDA Choice Buck Steak's picture

Isn't even close?  What about Jackie O's, Great Lakes, Fat Heads?

I've had the Boris the Crusher - which was amazing.  The IPA didn't blow me out of the water but I enjoyed it.

+1 HS
bbb's picture

great lakes is a mid-tier brewery, same with jackie o's. Fat Heads is great but Hoppin Frog is king

-3 HS
sox33osu's picture

BBB, I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. Fat Head's is definitely the most recognized and decorated brewery in Ohio right now. They took home 3 medals at the GABF this last year in Colorado (2 silvers and a gold), while Hoppin Frog took home 1 bronze. It also should be noted they took home the gold in the Imperial IPA category, which had the second-most entries among all categories at the festival.

hodge's picture

Interesting note about Fat Head's.  I've tried their Head Hunter IPA and wasn't all that impressed, I'll keep a lookout for their imperial (as I mentioned further on down, Spooky Tooth Imperial Pumkin is phenomenal), though.  Granted, it is worth mentioning that IPAs have about the most variation of any one style -- different hops can make for totally different beers.

Personally, Great Lakes is in a category all its own in the state.  They just don't make bad beers; period.  Jackie O's is pretty damn good too; their Mystic Mama IPA, Matriarch Triple IPA, and Oil of Aphrodite Imperial Stout are all truly transcendent.

+3 HS
bbb's picture

Great Lakes is good for the sentimental value, but it doesn't hold a candle to Hoppin Frog/Fat Heads/Brew Kettle

-1 HS
hodge's picture

Doesn't hold a candle? Edmund Fitzgerald is arguably the best American Porter on the planet and their Oktoberfest is frequently cited as one of the top examples of the style. Also, let's not forget their two universally-acclaimed lagers in Elliott Ness (Vienna) and Dortmunder Gold (Dortmunder). 

Fat Head and Hoppin Frog are top-notch breweries as well, but Great Lakes deserves it's world-class reputation. 

+5 HS
aboynamedtracy's picture

Ed Fitz is deserving of its accolades, but my personal standard for American Porter is Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

cinserious's picture

While Edmund Fitz is an excellent Porter, the tops in my book for that style beer is Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter followed by Bell's Porter. (I love my Porters)

I also love Stouts, IPA's and E.S.B.s, but when I first started exploring craft brews back in the day, I fell in love with nut brown ales. Particularly a local Cincy brewery's (Oldenberg)  Nut Brown called 'Holy Grail Nut Brown Ale'.  I don't think that brewery still exists but since then I've discovered CBC's 'Nut Brown' (discontinued) and Samuel Smith makes a great one as well. 

Thanks to Oldenberg,  I will always give a new Nut Brown Ale a try!

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Ahh, see I'd call Sammy Smith's porter an English Porter versus an American Porter.  Bell's is my fiancee's favorite porter, but I prefer that deep bitter bite of Eddie Fitz.  If you dig on Bell's Porter, I highly recommend Founder's version; it's a touch more robust, with an exceptionally smooth finish.  Think of it as Black Butte meets Eddie Fitz.  Smuttynose's version is pretty exceptional, too.

cinserious's picture

Thanks Hodge. I've not had the pleasure to lay lip to the Black Butte porter yet but next time I see it, I'm giving it a try thanks to this thread. Also, if I can find it, I'll try the Founder's version (anybody know the name of it?).

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

Scipio's picture

Fat Head JuJu (seasonal) and Head Hunter are two excellent brews. I can get Head Hunter whenever I want it so that's a plus. 

droessl's picture

While their packaging is atrocious, Thirsty Dog makes some damn fine beer.  Citra Dog and BBA Siberian Night are top notch. 

+4 HS
bbb's picture

Yeah, Thirsty Dog is quality

BUCKtuckian's picture

Wulver is top tier Barrel aged scotch ale/wee heavy

People are saying that I'm an alcoholic, and that's not true, because I only drink when I work, and I'm a workaholic.
Ron White

southbay's picture

A few of my favorites are Stone IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5, and El Segundo Blue House Pale Ale.

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Stone IPA is a good one. I'm not huge on The whole IPA movement, but that's is one of my favorites. 

saluki2007's picture

Stone IPA might be my favorite IPA, but I was not at all impressed with the Go To IPA.  To citrusy for me.

BuckGnome's picture

Stone IPA sets the bar for me.

Scipio's picture

Yep, my first love. 

osu407's picture

Another thread about Aaron Craft. I don't even think he drinks beer. Shouldn't this be posted in the OSU Basketball thread?

+5 HS
Buckshaw79's picture

If you are in NC, specifically around the Asheville/Bryson City area (But can be found statewide at certain locations) give anything by Nantahala Brewing a try, they are based in Bryson city and we discovered the brewery on a recent trip that way. Great beer and great service.  

"Be the man your dog thinks you are"

droessl's picture

I'll have to check them out next time I'm in Asheville (I live in Raleigh).  If you haven't been to Wicked Weed (not sure if it's possible to NOT have been at this point) or Wedge Brewing, do so! 

+2 HS
cronimi's picture

Wicked Weed is fantastic. It's available on tap here in Charlotte in some places, including the growler shop I frequent. Freak of Nature is a great IPA, and Gluten Freek is the best gluten-free beer I've ever tasted.

cronimi's picture

NC has really taken off as a craft beer producer. Not many beers are widely distributed, but there are some great breweries. Obviously, Asheville is huge, but recently Charlotte has really expanded in its breweries. Birdsong and Triple C are my favorites, but NoDa is also good. Can't wait for the new breweries to come online (there are several in various stages of planning). The Triangle also has a growing brewery scene.

labuck's picture

Sculpin IPA from Ballast point, drakes denoggonizer IPA, drakes draconian stout, Oskar Blues mommas yells little pils or others from them, great divide yeti stout, stone enjoy by IPA

These are a few off the top of my head. Ratings are subjective but these are some of my go to beers and sculpin is my favorite IPA of the group.

+3 HS
cronimi's picture

Sculpin is the quintessential west coast IPA. Delicious, though more expensive in these parts than other great IPAs.  

Groveport Heisman's picture

Westmalle Trappist Tripel is probably the best beer I have ever had in my life. And that is coming from a guy that should be considered a 20+ year alcoholic.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
Bluke221's picture

How does this compare to Chimay?

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

BGSUBucksFan's picture

If you're ever in the Pittsburgh area, check out my buddy's new brewery, Grist House Brewing, in Millvale.  Great beers, you won't regret the stop.  My personal favorite is their American Red Ale, Camp Slap Red.

droessl's picture

Bluke: Really cool to see a plug for Toxic Brew. A friend of mine from high school and her husband own that place, and as I live in NC, haven't made it up there, but good to hear they're doing good work! 

+1 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

The older I get, the more of a snob I am about beer.  Craft beers are exploding in popularity for a simple reason - it's actually beer.

When I see people post something like "enjoying a cold one" and it's a pic of Bud Light or something, I can't help thinking "but that's not beer".

+6 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Tell that to my bank account. All joking aside, I really do enjoy craft beers the only drawback can be the price and to be honest on a summer day or a gameday I'm just as happy with a bud as anything else. 

BTBuckeye's picture

Craft beer doesn't have to be expensive. I would say there are some bargains out there. For example, most of the German Dunkel's and Hefe's are cheap in the US.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (what Blue Moon tries to be) is a world class beer and is like $3 for a pint. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731/

Andescher Dunkel, Doppel & Helles Lager are new distributions areas to OH and are fantastic and cheap! Great summer beers. Cheers!

+1 HS
aboynamedtracy's picture

Interesting; I've always felt Blue Moon was a poor man's Hitachino Nest.

cronimi's picture

As the saying goes, Coors is like sex in a canoe -- it's f*cking close to water! (The same could be said for Bud or Miller)

+3 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Oh man, where to begin. Deschutes Brewery from Bend Oregon has failed to make a beer I have not enjoyed greatly. One of their signature beers-The Abyss is on my bucket list, now I just need to find it!

Yeti Imperial Stout by Great Divide is a phenomenal beer, and probably only recently toppled Bells Two Hearted as my absolute favorite brew.

There is a brewery in Illinois called Two Brothers and they are making some seriously good beers as well. North Wind, Domaine Dupage, and Caine and Ebel are all solid contributions with North Wind  being among the best dark beers out there in my humble opinion.

I may need to stop on this thread, I can talk about this stuff for years. Great thread, OP!

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+4 HS
JasonR's picture

Deschutes' Chainbreaker may be my favorite beer of all time. And of course, they just started distribution in Ohio but do not send Chainbreaker here.

Two Brothers' Sidekick and Outlaw are pretty damn good too.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

labuck's picture

Deschutes is fantastic. Rogue Brewery out of Oregon is up there as well.

Rogue Dead Guy is a great amber.

sbentz4's picture

Two brothers is probably my favorite Chicagoland brewery. Love the night cat.

BUCKtuckian's picture

Pipeworks, Half Acre, Off Color all solid Chicago breweries. New Lagunitas plant in Chicago looks to be a massive beauty to visit.

Ron White

sox33osu's picture

Cannot believe I haven't seen a mention for Headhunter from Fathead. Still the best Ohio-made IPA in existence. 

Also, their Christmas Ale > Great Lakes, which a few years ago would've been sacrilege. 

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Goose Island Bourbon County infused with Intelligentsia Coffee:  maybe my favorite beer I've ever had, but not an everyday drinking beer

Revolution Rosa : surprised to really like this beer as it's infused with hibiscus flowers...but I did.

3Floyds Zombie Dust is excellent and I'd drink more if I could get my hands on it

North High Brewing: Wild Card English Ale, Multicle, Citra Smash

Too many other beers to list.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Zombie Dust is terrific. Still, can't put it above -

+3 HS
droessl's picture

I really like Hopslam, but the insanity that surrounds its release is too much for me, especially when there are SO MANY other great IPAs available. I'll take Founders Double Trouble, Thirsty Dog Citra Dog, Great Lakes Chillwave, 21st Amendment Hop Crisis, or Terrapin Hopsecutioner against Hopslam any day of the week. 

+4 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

Agreed. Hopslam is solid and a great gateway craft beer for those that love hops to get excited about. Outside of that, it's Bell's so it's well crafted, but just not worthy of the hype. Great name & logo though!

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

I don't disagree with you guys about the release. It's silly. I was able to score a 6 pack this last March in a small wine merchant in Findlay, so I was thrilled. It really is as good as advertised. Citra Dog is also solid. I live about 5 minutes from the Thirsty Dog Brewery. In related news, they are potentially going to be moving operations due to expansion limitations. It could be in Medina or somewhere in Cuyahoga County.

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Bell's loves the hype surrounding the release of their beers, all the way back to when the currently named Oberon was named Solsun and they would only release it in bombers in the spring. At times, it's a bit ponderous, at others (like when they took on the monopoly in Chicago beer and liquor distribution), it's righteous. They do make great beers, however.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Has anyone found a wild/sour ale available in Ohio?  I've had a few, most recently by Cascade , but I'd like to get my hands on more. 

I don't have time to get in depth right now, but I think Magic Hat #9 is a delicious everyday beer. Beer snobs like to look down on it, and I understand why, but it's delicious.

jedkat's picture

You could probably find Rodenbach, that's a mighty tasty sour ale.

"I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over"

~ Joey Bosa

+1 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

Cascade makes great stuff! Rivertown makes several lambics & gueze which are made in OH. Jackie O's in Athens probably makes the best sours/wild ales in OH. Rodenbachs are delicious (2010,2011 fantastic as well as the $$$ Rouge!). Hanssens Oude Guezeand and 3Fountein stuff is very good as well. The Boons, Timmermans & Lindeman's you'll find at the grocery store are just OK imo.

If you want to get into sours, I usually suggest people start with Berliner Weiss styles, which are slightly tart wheat beers. (Bruery Hottenroth is a great place to start). If you liked Cascade though...shit, just start buying whatever! That's a hell of a brewery to start with.

hodge's picture

You can find a host of Belgian sour ales (Lambics, Geuzes, Flanders Red and Brown ales) at most specialty stores.  Regarding American brewers, Cincinnati's Rivertown makes a few LambicsGeuzes, and Wild Ales (available in 22 oz. bombers) that are available in the Queen City/Dayton area (not sure about beyond that), and Michigan's Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales makes a ton of sour beers.

+4 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

Forgot about Jolly Pumpkin. Excellent reccomendation. They make great stuff. You can't go wrong with anything they make.

hodge's picture

I was perusing the beer section at Kroger yesterday and -- alas -- the time is upon us!  Pumpkin beer season is here.

I scored a sixer of Rivertown's superb Pumpkin Ale, though I'll admit that I'm holding out for my personal favorite, Fat Head's Spooky Tooth.  This is only my second season really getting into the style; anyone got any recommendations for what I should be looking out for?

+4 HS
DMcDougal24's picture

Fall seasonals are my favorite. Aside from the ones you mentioned, Dogfish Head makes a good Punkin Ale and Blue Moon's is good too. 

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

Anything from DogfishHead is bad-ass!

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

Knowing your love for all things brown and distilled I strongly urge you check out MadTree in Cincy.  Had a barrel aged "Pumpcan" that was all sorts of caramel and whiskey and pumpkin. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

My cousin owns MadTree. I can't wait 'till its available in Columbus!

CincyBuckeye04's picture

Was hoping to see someone mention the Pumpkin Ales. Definitely some of my favorites this time of year. I also am a huge fan of Rivertown's (I think it's the best beer they make) and I also agree with the others here with Dogfish Head's and MadTree's. All great options! I tried Magic Hat's the other day and it had too much spice in it. I think that's the only thing that can really doom a good Pumpkin Ale.

+2 HS
droessl's picture

I'll second those who suggest Pumking, and add their Warlock to the list. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is great, as is Heavy Seas Great Pumpkin. 

CincyBuckeye04's picture

Picked up Warlock last night and plan on trying it tonight. I'm pumped. Thanks for the suggestion!

DMcDougal24's picture

Oh and Southern Tier Pumking is a must try. 

+3 HS
sbentz4's picture

My girlfriend's favorite beer is pumking.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I highly recommend Southern Tier Pumking. It won a blind tasting last year at Vintage Estates, one of a couple local places (to Youngstown folk that is) that specialize in craft beer. If you get it at a bar, it may come with a sugar/cinnamon dip on the rim of the glass. I prefer it without it but if they do it, I won't complain.

+2 HS
CincyBuckeye04's picture

I tried a 22oz Pumking last night and I will say it's my new favorite Pumpkin Ale. It has everything I look for in the style. A lot of pumpkin flavor, not too much spice, and even has the pie crust taste in there too. And at 8.6% ABV, has a nice kick to it. Thanks for the suggestion!

BTBuckeye's picture

Bell's Mars and Oracle were just released to OH. Jackie O's Bourbon Black Maple is one of the best beers from OH this year.

Been crushing a lot of these lately.

JasonR's picture

The Columbus beer scene is pretty awesome right now. My favorite local brewery is Four String. Their Pale Ale and White IPA are both very good. It may blow up if Stone decides to set up their eastern brewery here.

I do enjoy CBC's IPA, but I believe the best IPA made in central Ohio may be from Hoof Hearted Brewing (yes, stupid name, but they know what they're doing.) It's called Musk of the Minotaur and if you like IPAs, you need to try it.

Outside of Columbus, Bell's and Deschutes are my favorite breweries. Two Hearted is near the top of my list, and as I mentioned in another comment, Descutes' Chainbreaker is probably my favorite beer.

Special mention to Goose Island (312 is a great summer choice), Dogfish Head - 60 minute is great. Three Floyds brewery can do no wrong.

Birdman2's picture

Dark Horse Nation!

ChimdiCheckyaselfbeforeyawreckyaself's picture

Cool thread - it's mentioned above, but I'm a huge fan of the Little Sumpin' Sumpin' by Lagunitas.  Also, I really like Harpoon's IPA.

A little is better than nada, sometimes you want the whole enchilada

toad1204's picture

Cincy:

MadTree I'm not big on their IPA's but their Psycophathy is reknowned around here. 

Rhinegheist - Truth IPA, I prefer their Cougar lagerish, slightly hoppy.

Rivertown - usually drink the Helles

Moerlien - La Grange Saison Farmhouse Ale

Had a Dogfish Midas Touch (after watching Brew Dogs I thought I needed it)... delicious.  Light a little hoppy a little sweet.  Phenomenal beer.

+2 HS
CincyBuckeye04's picture

I'm a fan of Rhinegeist's Zen Pale Ale. They are canning it right now so it's available in Kroger's around town. Has anyone tried any 50West offerings? I've heard good things but haven't gotten a chance to check them out yet.

+1 HS

I've had 50W.  As far as I know, they don't distribute (maybe now they do).  Some solid beers.  They had a good chocolate stout the last time I was there.

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

The wire to wire wheat they did for the commemeration of the Reds beer bar is pretty good.  

+1 HS
BUCKtuckian's picture

+1 for Rhinegiest and Mad Tree. I always pick up $10 sixers of their cans when in NKY or the Nati

Ron White

cinserious's picture

Midas Touch is intense. Brewed with ancient Mesopotamian ingredients, just like the World's first beers.

Fly Patterns's picture

It's like heaven here in denver so many 5s. Left hand, great divide, Avery, Odell, dry dock, new Belgium, Oscar blues. The list goes on and on.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Plus, I understand it's just a sea of dudes.

+1 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Haha. Not really. But You can definitely set yourself apart by being career oriented and removing the word "epic" From everyday use.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Ha, I know. It was mentioned in another thread. I have no idea how it is, but I do know it's a beautiful city that I want to visit at some point.

Oscar Blues Dale's Pale Ale and Old Chub are great beers.

Fly Patterns's picture

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. Will keep this thread handy.

Toolface4's picture

Allegash yakuza (think only available as draft), two brothers night cat, ballast point sculpin, victory dirt wolf, and of course mickeys hand grenades are my current favorites

saluki2007's picture

The Allegash Yakuza is nice, but I love the Allegash White.

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

I've been enjoying a couple craft pilsners this summer:

The Wright Pils - GLBC
PILS - Lagunitas

I also really like Breckinridge Summer Bright Ale, Bell's Two Hearted IPA, and Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager.

BTBuckeye's picture

Victory Prima Pils is one of my favorite pilsners. All of Victory's pilsner beers are very good imo. Overlooked style...Pils are great summer beers!

+1 HS
labuck's picture

I agree with this for the most part on Victory. The golden monkey is fantastic but I was somewhat disappointed by their stout.  All others I have had though are great. Often my go to when I cant decide on something. They have a nice variety pack.

Whoa Nellie's picture

Anyone else a Southern Tier fan? 

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
DMcDougal24's picture

I like them but I don't have them regularly. The Pumpking is my favorite, but 2XIPA is good and the 2XMAS Ale was a pleasant change of pace from the Thirsty Dog and Great Lakes Christmas Ales. 

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Agree on both "2X" brews.  Liked the 2XMAS better than Great Lakes.  In that category, the Rogue Bad Santa was at the top for me.

DMcDougal24's picture

I haven't been impressed with Great Lakes the last couple years. Either the recipe changed or everyone else is getting better. Thirsty Dog has them beat IMO (rumors always floating about how that happened)

NH-IO's picture

Founders Backwoods Bastard, Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels - one of my all time favs (I did finally get my hands on a Kentucky Breakfast Stout which was absolutely amazing).  Trois Pistoles from Unibroue is a great beer.  Uinta makes some good beers, I like their Crooked Line series, especially Birthday Suit and Labyrinth.  Oskar Blues makes some very goodbeers.  Old Chub is my go to.  Dale's Pale Ale,  Mama's Little Yella Pils  are also very good.

I'll drink anything from Evil Twin - Lil B, Ashtray heart are outstanding.  Evil Twin is interesting because there is no physical Evil Twin brewery., the brew master travels around and brews at different  established breweries.  Same for his brother who brews Mikkeller beers.  

+2 HS
aboynamedtracy's picture

If you haven't already, you must visit Torst in Brooklyn. It's the Evil Twiniest bar with the most advanced beer storage / pouring system on the planet.

NH-IO's picture

Interesting looking place.  "Add $5 and get a 'low life' with your meal" - what have I been waiting for?  I'll have to add this place to my list.

buckeyebfd's picture

Rogue Hazelnut Brown is liquid happiness for me. Really enjoy the local brews here in Cincy, especially MadTree. Rhinegeist is good too, but if you go to their brewery beware of the amount of hipster douchebags

+2 HS
saluki2007's picture

Big fan of Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewery.

+1 HS
CincyBuckeye04's picture

If anyone is into Imperial Stouts, one of the best I've had is Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing in CA. Can only drink a few but man, it's damn good.

+4 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

A classic for the style. $2.50 a bottle too.

+1 HS
SwnsnGody's picture

For all you Cincinnati craft beer enthusiasts: check out Craft Connection.  They take you to four different breweries in four hours.  Depending on which route you take, you can go to:

• Rhinegeist
  • MadTree
  • Listermann
  • Fifty West
  • Braxton
  • Mt. Carmel
  • Bad Tom Smith
  • Moerlein

Best part is, for a flat rate you get a safe ride and samples at each stop.

"We determine when the team taps out" - Urban Meyer

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

We had this on the old site so I'm glad this is back. There are so many good to great beers to list, but I'll try and keep it short:

Stone Russian Imperial Stout

Willoughby Brewing Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter

Brouwerij Bosteels Kwak

Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

Two Brothers Brewing Sidekick

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter (Flying Dog has hands down the best labels)

Dogfish Head Pearl Jam Faithfull Ale (no longer made)

I could seriously go on for days, but I'll leave it at this for now. I'm sure there are plenty that I forgot and will remember later on but, for now, this will do just fine! I will say that Dogfish Head and Goose Island are my 2 favorite breweries but there are a few others (Flying Dog and Stone) that are sitting right there as well.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

And this might be one of my all time favorite beer names and labels (the bock wasn't half bad either):

+2 HS
BUCKtuckian's picture

I wish they'd bottle/distro that Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter. That stuff is money !

Ron White

+2 HS

I absolutely love love love Delirium Tremens

From Wikipedia:

Delirium Tremens was named as "Best Beer in the World" in 2008 at the World Beer Championships in Chicago, Illinois, USA.[1][2] Stuart Kallen gives it the number one spot in his The 50 Greatest Beers in the World.[3]

The first time I had it, I honestly had to sit down because the taste was that good. I closed my eyes and savored the taste. A bit of a champagne feeling, but very nice alcohol content - 8.5% abv. Beautiful choice.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
droessl's picture

that was the first beer i recommended for my wife to try before we'd even started dating.  She was a blue moon drinker, and now she's a full-on craft beer enthusiast! 

+1 HS

My fiance loves Blue Moon. I am trying to get her on some Tremens. Hopefully she takes a similar path as your wife and gets into craft beer. I would be in heaven, haha

+1 HS
GreatLakesMike's picture

Bell's Two Hearted

AleSmith IPA and Stout

Stone Ruination

Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale

Great Lakes Nosferatu/BlackOut Stout/(The newest seasonal IPA is good as well - can't remember the name.)

Founder's Red Rye

I could go on and on... tons of great brews. We're living in the golden age of beer brewing in America.

+3 HS
sbentz4's picture

I 2nd the nosferatu. It is the best gl seasonal besides Chillwave imo.

RKC's picture

New Glarus (Wisco near Madison) - spotted cow and staghorn leap

and my new faves:  Begyle (Chicago) and Solemn Oath (Naperville)

bbb's picture

Seriously, Spotted Cow is the most overrated beer. Literally anything else New Glarus makes is better

+3 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

If you like IPAs... Heady Topper (from Vermont) is a douple/imperial IPA you must try before you die.  If you like darker IPAs, then it's somewhat close counterpart is Firestone Walker's "Wookie Jack" (black rye IPA)

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
cronimi's picture

Haven't found my way to VT to get HT, (or found someone to send me one) but would love to try it and see if it lives up to the hype. Wookie Jack, and the other "Jack" brews from FW, are pretty good. I think my fav Black IPA is Back in Black from 21st Amendment. 

+1 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Back in Black is nice, too.  HT is reaching legendary status - I am lucky to have a local bar that features only craft beers, and the owner said that he had to drive up from NY to VT to get as much as he could, and they were limiting how many they were giving out, so limited production at the moment, but it's a divine IPA (and I'm not really even an IPA fan).

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

buck i's picture

I love all types of beer, but I especially love a nice west coast IPA with some big juicy hop flavor. Sculpin by Ballast Point is near the top as far as IPAs go for me right now.

It's not beer, but Brothers Drake makes an awesome mead that's infused with hops.

BTBuckeye's picture

Heady Topper is very complex for a DIPA...there's a lot going on in that beer. Conan yeast has a lot to do with it imo. Once the hops fade, it still holds its own just as a "beer" also, not just a hop bomb. I would absolutely recommend trying one before you...er, die. Hill Farmstead...damn. Everything they make is pretty incredible. Believe that hype. I've been lucky enough to try 5-6 of those beers. damn.

Fathead's Hop JuJu & Columbus BODHI are just as good though, and more importantly, they are the pride of OH.

+2 HS
Scipio's picture

You are I have the same tastes. I have three Heady's in my Fridge right now. It may be the best I have ever had. One of the few that lived up to the hype. 

I've only had one Hill Farmstead, Ephraim, at a bar in Vermont. You would not be disappointed. 

+1 HS

Anyone know of good beers/ breweries to try in Seattle?  I'll heading there this weekend and want to drink local.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Here are some - just to name a few 

Elliott Bay

Pyramid 

Elysian

Enjoy they are all good!!!!!!!!!!!!

How was your half marathon ?

+1 HS

How in the hell do you remember that?  Let's just say it was slower than I wanted.  I trained poorly and hope to improve vastly next year. 

I'm looking forward to visiting Seattle and trying some of their beer/ food.  Second time I'll be there, but the first time I was limited in where I could go.  Thanks for the suggestions.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

As long as you had fun during the run that's the most important part. Glad you finished !!!!!!!

If you get a chance while you are in the city - get over to West Seattle and Alki Beach - truly remarkable. Have fun and enjoy the snow capped Mount Rainier.  

Seattle was cool place.  Elysian was a good brewery.  The Night Owl Pumpkin Ale was pretty good; very pumpkin flavored but not overpowering.  And the two IPAs I had (The Immortal  and Safe Bet) were ok.  I also tried IPAs at Populuxe, Stoup, Reuben's, and NW Peaks.  The NW Peaks had the best one of the all the beer I had in Seattle; their IPA reminded me of the well balanced IPAs in the midwest like Two Hearted.  It's just a small "nano" brewery but was really good.  

We didn't go to Mt. Rainier; we did go cabrewing at Enatai Beach on the east side of Lake Washington near Mercer Island.  It was a fun time.  Then I drove back to Illinois; Montana is not a fun state (sorry DJ), but it is too damn big and too damn mountainous to drive all the way through.  We did briefly stop at Devils Tower and Mt. Rushmore which were pretty cool.

bbb's picture

Just drive to Portland and sample anything from one of their 40 breweries

+2 HS

I would if it weren't a three hours drive away.  Besides, I'm sure Seattle has plenty to offer... beyond just beer.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Too much to scroll through so sorry if already mentioned, but Evolution (EVO for short) is a brewery based out of Salisbury, MD.  They have some pretty good beers, but the one I have thought was not only the most unique, but surprisingly excellent was brewed with oysters.  I can't remember the name of it, but it was out in November '13.  It was a very dark beer (think stout), but wasn't heavy at all.  It was delicious.  Sorry, I just can't remember the name of it.

Athens BuckCat's picture

Apologies if this was mentioned earlier but I highly recommend any of the home brews from Jackie O's in Athens! Some of my personal favorites include the Mystic Mama IPA, Meigs County Black IPA, Nitro Porter, the Chomolungma, Razz Wheat, Firefly Amber, Java the Stout, PawPaw Wheat, and Dark Apparition. Mystic Mama, Hop Ryot, Chomolungma, and Firefly are all available in cans around Ohio now,so pick some up if you get the chance!

goodlifesean's picture

Right now my two favorites are the green line pale ale out of goose head and the Buckeye Brewing Hippie IPA

Always prepare for and expect victory, don't brace for defeat. If defeat happens learn and never let it happen again.

Bluke221's picture

Awesome how fast this thread took off! I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but another unique style of beer that's worth trying are the ones using ancient recipes. My favorite is Midas Touch from Dogfish Head. Very similar to mead.

Scipio's picture

I just learned of this thread today and have enjoyed reading it. Thanks men. 

I have been fortunate due to my work travel to try some awesome beers. I also have good friends who I trade with. They want Head Hunter and Lake Erie Monster usually. 

My current favorite list:

Hill Farmstead Ephraim

Heady Topper

Pliny the Elder

Stone Enjoy By & RuinTen

FFF Dreadnaught and Zombie Dust

Sculpin and Head Hunter are my easy to get "go to's"

+1 HS
Bluke221's picture

I've seen alot of Heady Topper and Zombie Dust  mentions in this thread. Looks like i'll have to give those a try.

Scipio's picture

Both EXTREMELY hard to get.

the Beer Advocate is a good site to visit. Sometimes you can find someone to trade with also. 

+1 HS
BUCKtuckian's picture

Ron White

Scipio's picture

I have been to most of the Columbus Breweries, but haven't tried Seventh Sun yet. A guy at CBC told me about it yesterday, so I am going there next time I have an overnight in Columbus. 

CBC is my favorite in Columbus, the beer and food is good. 

WolfsRidge had the best food, but I didn't care for their beer. 

I liked Elevator, both food and beer. 

As an aside, I also love Beer Kitchen 101. Great food and beer selections. They don't brew their own though. 

Buckeyeneer's picture

I just got back from Maine and I an a big fan of Shipyard Brewery. Their stable of beers are quite good. That state has a lot of quality microbrewers: Sebago, Smuttynose, Bar Harbor, Allagash, it was a great week.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

buckeyedude's picture

Damn, I think we have a bunch of alcoholics on this website!

Goose Island(Chicago), Great Lakes and Maumee Bay Brewing. That is all.

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

The Hoppin Frog in Akron Ohio was ranked number 1 in Ohio and the 17th best brewery in the world by these guy. I Love their beer, definitely worth trying. 

Groveport_Buckeye's picture

White Rajah from The Brew Kettle............

+1 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

A lot of love for fatheads i tried oktoberfest and wasn't impressed i will have to give the brewery another shot. Great Lakes has the best oktoberfest in America. IPA i go Bells Two Harted Ale, Chillwave Zombie Dust, Lake Erie Monster.

Amber Lager = Eliot Ness

Irish Ale= GL Conways Irish Ale

Also love Great Divide Hibernation Ale,GL chirstmas ale along with thirsty dog,and anything from Sierra Nevada 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Sierra Nevada has a great selection - love that beer.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

I'm trying Green Flash's (San Diego) West Coast IPA tonight. It uses Simcoe, Columbus, Centenial, Citra, and Cascade hops! 5 different hop profiles in one IPA. Cant wait for my first brew from Green Flash.

hodge's picture

The West Coast IPA is absolutely spectacular -- a true benchmark of the style.  Their Palate Wrecker is pretty fun, too; but the alcohol balances out the hops, so it doesn't really "wreck" one's palate.  My friend absolutely swears by their standard Imperial IPA.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Thanks hodge. I was thoroughly impressed by it.not for the faint of heart, hop-tastic.

I'm not a huge barrel-aged beer fan or even a fan of whiskey in general, but Boulevard, among their other good offerings, makes a great beer known as Rye on Rye.  Anyone that likes rye whiskey or barrel-aged beers should check it out when it's available, generally only in bombers or 750mL bottles.  Founders is another good brewery that does a lot of barrel aging.

BUCKtuckian's picture

Here are several of my favorite breweries not yet mentioned:

Cigar City, Westbrook, Prairie, Jester King, Evil Twin, Cantillion, Funky Buddah, Alpine, Bruery

Most of these are limited to the regions they reside in. The exceptions are Evil Twin and Cantillion are imported. Very worth seeking out any of their offerings.

Ron White

apack614's picture

Pabst Blue Ribbon 5/5

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

PBR baby Ain't nothin better

+1 HS
BUCKtuckian's picture

Beer porn:

Ron White

+2 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

Werd. DB Huna still escaping me. Crackin' all the Bruery Sucre's tonight. I think there's 6 variants. I forget. Won't likely remember either!

+1 HS
BUCKtuckian's picture

Same handle on BA and talk beer.
BM me if you're on one of those channels.

Ron White

Buckeyeneer's picture

I was in Morgantown for work yesterday and stopped in to Morgantown Brewing Company for a bite and a couple of beers. I am happy to report that their beers were really good as was their food, though the beer cheese soup could have been better. I had their summer small batch special, Cherry Blonde Ale, as well as their Zack Morgan's IPA. The IPA was a good, solid IPA, but nothing out of the ordinary. If you like IPA's, you'll like that one. I like crisp, light beers in the summer (while the darker the better in the winter) and the Cherry Blonde hit the spot. The problem with fruit flavored beers is that, often times, the brewer doesn't get the amount of fruit right. I don't want it to taste like grenadine and water but I want to be able to tell that they actually added cherries to the beer. They hit the balance perfectly. The cherry was there but not overpowering. I thought the Cherry Blond Ale was really good and was a great choice for sitting on a patio on a sunny afternoon (which I was).

http://www.morgantownbrewing.com/our-brews.html

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

npilolli's picture

Great Lakes The Wright Pils is just a phenomenal pilsner.  It has been my go to beer all summer along with Sierra Nevada Summerfest!!

O-H-I-O!!!!

CinncyBuckFan06's picture

Black Stick Porter by left hand out of Denver!

Gray Box's picture

A few I haven't seen on here yet:

Russian River's | Pliny the Yonger

Moylans | Moylander

Marin Brew Co. | White Knuckle

North High | O-Hi-PA

Seventh Son | Willowolf

Founder's | Devil Dancer

Jolly Pumpkin | Diabolical

Iron Springs | Casey Jones

Graze | Platform 3 (I had the pleasure of having the first beer from the first successful batch of Platform 3)

Brew Dog | Punk IPA | Tactical Nuclear Penguin (yes it's ABV is 32%)

Lagunitas | Kill Ugly Radio | Freak Out | Wilco Tango Foxtrot

I could go on and on and on and on...

+1 HS
Gray Box's picture
Tactical Nuclear Penguin | The strongest beer in the world:

+1 HS