Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

ESPN suspends Dan Le Batard two days for LeBron James billboard stunt

0 HS
Sebastian's picture
August 8, 2014 at 1:15am
23 Comments
http://imgick.cleveland.com/home/cleve-media/width620/img/akron/photo/15563355-mmmain.jpg

ESPN TV/radio personality Dan Le Batard had made it clear for more than a week that he wanted a chance to tweak LeBron James for his decision to leave Miami and return home to Northeast Ohio.

Wednesday, Le Batard accomplished his goal, buying a billboard sign in Akron stating "You're welcome, LeBron. Love, Miami." He had been rejected by Northeast Ohio Media Group in his bid a week earlier to take out an ad in The Plain Dealer.

But what he called "fun anarchy" in a Wednesday story in the Miami Herald wasn't quite so funny to his employer. ESPN announced Thursday that it had suspended Le Batard for two days from his Miami-based radio program. His TV show, "Highly Questionable," was already on summer hiatus.

“Dan Le Batard will be off the air for two days, returning Monday," stated the ESPN press release. "His recent stunt does not reflect ESPN’s standards and brand. Additionally, we were not made aware of his plans in advance.”

ESPN may have acted not because of one billboard, but of a suggestion that more was coming from Le Batard, according to Herald writer Greg Cote.

"There are rumors of an additional tier of the ad-assault that remains top secret, perhaps to be revealed on Friday," Cote wrote Wednesday. "I pledged to not share more than I have at this time so that LeBron's "people" would not have enough advance notice or information to crush the plan."

Le Batard texted Cote after the suspension was made public. "I guess ESPN didn't find it all quite as funny as I did."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments