Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

This is the Year

apack614's picture
August 6, 2014 at 9:50am
80 Comments

Look, I know we as tOSU fans feel this every year, but who just has that gut feeling that we will win the NC this year. I mean that deep down in your gut feeling that without a doubt our boys are bringing it home this year. Am I the only one?? There is just so many positive things about this year like our D-Line, getting Ash, Braxton Miller, the freshmen class, a list that goes on and on. There is no doubt in my mind we will be winners at the end of this year and I hope to God we get to beat Alabama and Florida St on the way there.

In other news if Aug 30th doesn't hurry up and get here I am going to castrate myself, have a great day and Go Bucks!

apack614's picture

What are you guys thinking?

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

-2 HS
OSUStu's picture

I am mostly thinking that you may quickly regret castrating yourself.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+44 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

I know it's a little different "part of the package", but - "Paging Mrs. Bobbitt!"

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I was going to throw up a photo of a man castrating himself - let's just say I'm glad I rethought that one. 

+4 HS
Fatpants's picture

Um, yes. Maybe don't do that.

Hoody Wayes's picture

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I just don't share it, that's all.

Meyer's 0-2 conclusion to the 2013 season was an unpleasant shock.

I think Meyer's lost his edge.

I don't think Ohio State does better than 10-2.

I don't think Ohio State wins the B1G.

I think Miller protects his investment, goes out of his way to avoid the hits and comes out of games more often than any season before, resulting in...more playing time for Cardale Jones  and, perhaps, the other back-ups.

And I hope I'm wrong. Go Bucks!

-6 HS
TMac's picture

You can't hardly be disappointed with those expectations. 

+4 HS
Earle's picture

Italics are for emphasis.

Patriot4098's picture

This may be the worst case scenario. Glass is half empty?

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

-1 HS
AJBor41's picture

I think Meyer's lost his edge.

Just wondering what led you to this conclusion. I respect the post and honesty, and would not downvote you for it, as you clearly just shared your opinion. However, I don't get the same impression from Meyer.

+1 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

As a fellow Toledoan (Meyer was born here.), I've been following Meyer since his BG days. 

Fact is, the 2009 SEC Championship Game changed his trajectory (Kind of like 41-14 changed Tressel's). 

24-0 doesn't change that for me. He went bust in the B1G CG. Nobody I know thought he'd deliver the Orange Bowl trophy. He proved us right.

Hey, I was among the believers when OSU bagged him.

Now, I'd be surprised if he wins one (1) B1G, because I think he's one and done when it comes to his contract.

Remember, we're almost a half-decade into playing B1G CG's. Whoulda thunk neither OSU nor scUM would have won one, by now?

It sucks. Go Bucks!

-4 HS
AJBor41's picture

I guess I was looking for something a bit more fact-based. Because he lost his only B1G CG thus far doesn't seem like a reason to count him out. Also, we're just 3 years into the B1G CG and he made it there in his only eligible attempt thus far.

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

At first, I thought Hoody Wayes was playing devil's advocate in an effort to appease the college football gods in response to APack614's disregard for AIRBHG's cousin, ADGOEPS (Angry Destroying God of Exultant Preseason Predictions). ADGOEPS has turned many national champion boastful teams into smoldering 5-7 ruins.

But, no, it appears that Hoody Wayes really has taken negativity to the point of idiocy.

+1 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

I'm no fan. I'm a Buckeye fanatic.

-1 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

You didn't know anybody that thought we would win the Orange bowl? I'm guessing you have a few friends who are buckeye fans and nobody? Maybe not by much but weren't we the favorites in that game?

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Yeah we lost the last 2 games of the year but either of those games were just a play or 2 from being a completely different outcome. OSU was a play or two away from not being undefeated in 2012, OSU was a play or two away from not winning a NC Title in 2002. The fact that OSU was not blown out last year leaves me optimistic still about his year (combined with how the off-season is turning out). I do not share the same bleek outlook that you do.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

Being just a few plays from a national championship, with the 110TH (!!!!!!) best pass defense in college football (out of about 125 if you're counting) and you think Meyer's lost his edge? If OSU had the 65th ranked pass defense, which is basically average, they would played for a NC. Won it, maybe not.

But...lost his edge?! Wow

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

I'm thinking this was written by the guy from Wutang who cut his junk off and jumped off a building

-2 HS
Kindell's picture

I think the this is the greatest thing about being a Buckeye fan that sometimes can be forgotten.  We pretty much get to start every season with the idea that we should at least get a chance at the title   Urban has taken it to another level and gives us the chance to watch a lot of meaningful football.

I am just excited to start planning my Saturdays around OSU football again.

+3 HS
bethmowins's picture

If the pass D improves and we get pleasant surprises from the WR/OL, we are in the hunt.

+10 HS
AJBor41's picture

Devin Spencer and Evan Smith need to be solid, and James Dixon and Johnnie Clark could be those WR surprises, ay Beth?

+6 HS
bethmowins's picture

I was going to say that OSU would struggle with the graduation of Corey Smith but then I realized we had a Corey Smith and it made too much sense.

+4 HS
Rob Reese's picture

And, if Brax stays healthy.  Any program can make the same statement I know, but Brax's history leads one to emphasize that point.

Fatpants's picture

Defense defense defense.

+9 HS
Buckabroad's picture

^^^ This x 1000. If our secondary is up to par last year, we blow out TTUN, win the B1G and are in the NC game.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+11 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

So 3,000 defenses?

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+19 HS
Habu71's picture

One hell of a play book to memorize or some serious penalty yards for too many men on the field. Not really sure which.

Doc's picture

I dreamt last night we opened the season a week early with AACC and lost 35-27.  So, unfortunately I'm not as sure. :/

"Say my name."

+1 HS
Doc's picture

It was unsettling to say the least.

"Say my name."

OSUStu's picture

Doc, I think you are missing something here.  Since we started the season with AACC, everything else in your dream was playing backwards as well.  The score was actually OSU 35 - UM 27.  Problem solved.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Doc's picture

I do remember being so pissed that the year was over already and it had just started.  It took me a few minutes AFTER waking up to realize it was just a dream/nightmare.  My day hasn't been right since.

"Say my name."

+1 HS
Woodysghost's picture

More like night terrors.

hobochops987's picture

About a week ago I had a dream we lost to Southern  Alabama by a touchdown.  It was a shoutout and we went touchdown-touchdown back and forth but they scored the last one.  Was the first game of the season.

Trust in UFM

e135800's picture

Ain't gonna happen this year. Paul Finebaum doesn't even have us going to the playoffs.

+10 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And that writer from Notre Dame has us losing to Navy

+5 HS
QueenCityBuckeye's picture

I'd like to see how our O-line comes together before I go all in but I, too, feel like like this season has the potential to be something special.

It's a great time to be a Buckeye.

saluki2007's picture

I agree 100% with you.  If the O-line can gel together relatively quickly then there is no reason we can't make at least the playoffs.  The defense will be "good enough", but we will only go as far as the offense will take us.

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

I'm going to an OSU football game this year you guys. The last 3 OSU football games I've been to? 2 games in 2002 and 1 in 2006. We are at least making the national championship game guys. From there, it's a coin flip. I've got the feeling.

+4 HS
Bucksfan's picture

Hate to be a debbie downer, but you need a prescription for about 500mg dose of chill pill, STAT.

I was going to go into this long explanation as to why Ohio State fans need to measure their expectations, but it really all boils down to a never-discussed identity of Ohio State football - we always blow it in at least 1 game a year.  2002 was the only year since 1968 that it didn't happen. 

Do you know what Ohio State's winning percentage has been since 1968?  How about 0.77122, good for 2nd behind Nebraska in the major conferences.  All 5 of Nebraska's national championships have come since 1970.  Oklahoma is right behind us, but have 4 national titles, Texas has 3, Alabama claims 7, Florida State has 3, Southern Cal has 5.  Michigan and Ohio State have 1 each.

And we thought it was going to be different under Urban Meyer, but for all the stats, the results have looked strangely familiar - tantalized with 24 straight wins, but Buckeye luck dictates no national title.

New O-line, brand new defensive secondary that replaces the worst unit maybe in all of OSU history, no returning star at LB, new starting RB.  We all have confidence in the talent, but we've had all the talent in the world over the years and there's always 1 or 2 games they'll lose...or they'll lose the bowl game.

Anyway, I'm excited as hell for football, but objectively Michigan State flexes muscle on us in East Lansing...and our luck is running thin against Michigan (gasp).

+5 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

You really need to change your icon attitude.

+9 HS
Bucksfan's picture

Hey man, I'm just getting older and starting to recognize the patterns.  I don't like it any more than anyone else.  I'm sick of Ohio State not winning national titles when it's obvious that they should.  This year, though, it's not obvious that they should.

+3 HS
gm3jones's picture

What patterns are these?

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

Bucksfan's picture

The patterns I outlined in my post to which you replied and quoted below.

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I honstely dont get your MIchigan comment. If anything, the opposite is happening. OSU is consistantly ranked high and Michigan has been lucky to start the season in the Top 25, let along finish in the Top 25, the last few years. We have been recruiting and cultivating talent. Michigan has been recruiting and undermining their talent. The last few years The Game has felt like an OSU blowout waiting to happen, but the Bucks have lacked that killer instinct to put the game away. Even last year, we could have went up 20 until Carol fumbled in the 3rd.

Bucksfan's picture

In the last 3 games against Michigan, Ohio State is 2-1, and have won the two games by a combined 6 points.  Blowouts waiting to happen?  Not the games I was watching.  If anything, the Buckeyes looked like shit.  Weird things happen in that game.  And now Michigan has two top-10 recruiting classes that are upperclassmen.

It's not the greatest rivalry in sports for no reason.  A big reason is that they keep each other from winning national titles.

-1 HS

No really. I was at the last two games. In Columbus in 2012, OSU left at least 21 points on the field and settled for field goals. Other than Denard's long run in the first half MI's offense was sterile. They gained like 2 first downs in the second half. As stated above, we could have gone up 21 points if Hyde didnt fumble last season. That was a huge momentum shift. The loss at MI, we shouldnt have even been in that game, let along nearly winning if not for a freshman Braxton barely over throwing wide open WR on deep routes.

Top 10 classes dont mean anything when the talent they bring is not growing, maturing and prospering. See my nuture vs undermining statement above. Michigan State and Wisonsin will pose and have posed as the biggest threats. If Hoke gets canned, it could take another 3 seasons for Michigan to be relevent again. Sure MI can show out for The Game, but what about their games against Akron, UCONN, etc. last season. Do you just forget about those? And what about their loss to Penn State, a team we beat by 40? Michigan will always be a threat, but lately they have been about as threatening as a cuddly little puppy.

gm3jones's picture

So there is no reason to even play the games, huh? *

and our luck is running thin against Michigan (gasp).

Right, because we have been SOOO lucky against them.

Bucksfan's picture

Statistically we have.  We've never seen this kind of domination over Michigan in our history, that's all I'm saying.  Eventually they're going to ruin our national title hopes.  It's inevitable, no matter how painful.  They've been recruiting really well, and they have a lot of talent.  They scored 41 points in last year's game, even though they still lost.  And you can't forget that Lloyd Carr and the Michigan seniors that couldn't beat Tressel (Chad Henne, Mike Hart), beat Urban Meyer's offense starring Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin in Florida's own backyard.

+2 HS
gm3jones's picture

It is going to happen one day, for sure. But they totally dominated us in the beginning (I think they won like 20 something games in a row). But I dont see us as lucky more than they do have a semi-decent team and we just did not show up the whole game. It is always going to be a tight game TTUN vs OSU. TTUN is not a terrible team. They just have some bad coaching and had some bad miscues with not getting lineman playing well and having new ones waiting to replace your old ones. They also have a hard time getting the McMillans and Dixons (elite recruits) to go up there and play for them(pretty brutal in the winter).

Hovenaut's picture

I'll agree on the overzealousness...and I'm guilty like anyone else.

But by God, it's a glorious thing to have hope at the dawn of a new season.

We have a dog in the fight, and that works for me.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I will say that several of those high win percentage years that left OSU without a title were due to how good UM used to be. Also, the Cooper era of always starting 10-0 and finishing 0-2 didn't help. So, I don't know that it's much a pattern as it is the fact that no one else in the SEC, PAC-12 or ACC was very good, consistently, outside of the teams that you mentioned.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Buckeye06's picture

I appreciate the positive vibes and I share them.

It is almost always a team who people have questions about going into a season that surprises and answers the call.  FSU and Auburn last year were both question marks going into 2013.  Bama in 2012 was "replacing tons on a great defense" and were even better. 

I see no reason that i should be a pessimist before games even kick off.  I want to see a swagger on D that I haven't seen in a couple years, and a consistently efficient offense. 

In the past 12 years, OSU has had 3 perfect records going into bowl games.   

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

I agree with you Apack.  I think the D will take a giant leap forward, the receivers will be a lot better and the new O line and running game will be on track soon.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I had a better feeling before last year, actually. 

+2 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

I actually did as well. Thought there was NO way we'd lose a single game going into the MNC game, and then it'd be close. This year? I'm fearful we'll get stung in some wacky one-off game.

+1 HS
Patriot4098's picture

I think it all hinges on the WRs and DBs. The O-line will progress. The running game will progress. I even believe the pass D will be much improved with a simpler scheme. The one constant? WRs. They have underperformed. They're great blockers, but the don't seem to create for themselves. Granted, that may be due to personnel. We will see now that some younger guys have a chance to prove themselves.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

Ahh Saturday's picture

To get to the playoff next year the Buckeyes have to be able to answer yes to the following questions.  I've listed them in the order of my confidence.

1. Will the DL live up to the hype?  I think the answer here is Hell yes.  Very high confidence.
  2. Can the Buckeyes replace Carlos Hyde?  Maybe not with one person, but our rushing attack might be even better next year (depends on the answer to question 4). High confidence.
  3. Will the WR get open?  We have to replace C. Brown, but I think the emergence of other weapons (Dontre, C Smith, M. Thomas, et al) will more than compensate for his loss.  High Confidence.
  4. Can Warriner bring around the OL?  Very hard to replace four starters, but I like the experience of the players coming in. Lindsay and Baldwin are both seniors, as is Farris if he wins the LG job, Underwood is a junior.  the only underclassman, Elfein, is one of the guys I have most confidence in.  Confident
  5. Can the Buckeyes lose two 1st round picks and actually improve their defense?  People are pinning a lot of their hopes on Ash's ability to turn around that defense, but I worry that to do it in one season is too tall an order.  I know that Urban loves what Ash did at Wisconsin, but he was no miracle worker in his one year at Arkansas where the Razorbacks had a defense significantly worse than the Buckeyes.  Low Confidence.
  6. Can Braxton stay healthy for an entire season?  Maybe, but he hasn't so far, and I see little reason to believe he will this year.  Without Kenny G, can Cardale (or anyone) come off the bench and win us a tight game?  Low confidence.
+1 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

I actually have quite High confidence re: #5.  Why?  Cuz the defense (notably the secondary) can't be any worse than it was last year.  I understand we lost Bradley Roby, but honestly... Doran Grant was the better of the two last year... and I think Eli Apple or Gareon Conley can fill in just fine.  Tyvis Powell returns, and I think Vonn Bell will fill in nicely for Christian Bryant.  Improved.

Losing Ryan Shazier is going to hurt royaly, but I think Perry and Lee can/will be fine, and if McMillan is as advertised, this group should be alright. Weakened.

As far as the D line goes, we return all our starters. Everyone has another year of Mickey Marotti + learning the system.  Improved.

For me, that adds up to a better group as a whole.

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Just having the frontend and the backend of the defense on the same page will make a huge difference. Playing as a unit with a little attitude will change everything.

Fly Patterns's picture

Very hard to envision the pass defense being WORSE than last year, I agree. If you need to be reminded about the pass defense from last year just so you can have an opinion about how this year measures up, go watch the orange bowl again. The whole thing is on you tube. It will make you sick to your stomach but it will also make the point.

The Rill Dill's picture

---not to mention, they're embarrassed and pissed off.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Big Ten champions and playoff berth I can see.  The playoff is going to be madness, though, and nobody is really a favorite.  It depends on what we get in the regular season.  I have high confidence that the offense will be just as good as last year despite replacing Carlos Hyde, Philly Brown, and four starters on the line.  The key will be that defense, particularly against the pass, because it should be good against the run.

Class of 2010.

southernstatesbuckeye's picture

APack,

I didn't read all the comments, but read enough to sense that fans simply don't want their hearts ripped out again, and are hedging bets and tempering their expectations.  Deep down, in their maize n blue hating souls, every one of these commenters wants to be proven wrong.

I am here to tell you from an absolutely fact-based, scientifically supported perspective that indeed, YOU ARE CORRECT.  Ohio State WILL bring home the Crystal Ball Penile Implant this year. 

How do I know this, beyond any shadow of doubt, and with no hesitation at all to put my good name out there for possible abuse?

I have seen the future I have been there.  Please don't let that get around, as I'm sure most here might solicit me for the winner in the next Belmont Stakes.  But hey, props to you for putting yourself out there on the ledge for everybody to poke at.  If you were to put a thousand dollars RIGHT NOW on OSU to win it all in Vegas, the odds are astronomical, and you would be a wealthy man.  And when you came back to make a comment here on Eleven Warriors after your windfall, well, people would be sorry they didn't listen.

But hey, nobody can know the future, huh?  Well, the Time Traveler can, and he says, "Money in the bank." 

Bet the farm this year, people.  This is, indeed, the Year of the Buckeye.

Peace to all.

+3 HS
apack614's picture

Thanks brother I think the reason I get so excited is because like you (I assume by your name) is because I'm ways from home don't have any family here besides my wife and all we have to brag about is tOSU so we do it the best ways we can but I really feel it this year and if I'm wrong and my hearts ripped out like you said then hell with it, it's just another year that my heart gets ripped out and we will go at it again next year!

BassDropper's picture

The OL and the DBs still scare me and that won't change until I'm proven wrong. Can we win the NC, absolutely, but IMO last year was our best shot.

This season in general feels weird to me and it hasn't even began. Usually around the middle of June my mind can't stop thinking about the upcoming season and it feels like time just drags by. So far it has been different. Time is flying by and I really didn't start getting uber excited for the season until Monday.

DIRECTIONER

RenegadeBuckeye's picture

I'm optimistic, but not in a delusional kind of way.

-1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I castrated myself once....once.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

Then may we refer to you as "Poison Nutless" from henceforth?

Poison nuts's picture

Why not...my old lady has referred to me as that for years.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

My buck's picture

If the defense can dominate like they used too, and Braxton stays healthy, the sky's the limit! 

This team has a chance to be truly scary/special. 

NashBuckeye's picture

If Chris Ash can get all of our 4-star and 5-star DBs playing like they should and the D Line lives up to their potential, this could be a great year! I do worry about Braxton staying healthy because there is no way we will have a backup QB like we have had the past few years.  

AngryWoody's picture

See Apack, this is why you never share positive feelings on an internet message board. Next time you feel good about something keep it to yourself, because if you post it the anonymous masses of internet land will come together and crush it to bits. I agree with you though, we're winning the natty this year.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
apack614's picture

That's fine with me if we don't have anything but confidence in our guys what can we expect back?? We will get it done no problem, Go Bucks!!

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I'm hoping it is, but I would be likely to die of a heart attack. That would mean a 4 game stretch to end the season vs. Michigan, B10 Championship, BCS Semi, and BCS Championship. Get me a room at the ward. 

+1 HS
Jabba1977's picture

Offensive line must gel,Miller must stay healthy, OSU defense needs to get back to the Silver Bullet Defense,if all of these things go our way,we win it all.Bottom line!!!

SECHATER77

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Brax gets hurt 3-4 losses is a REAL possibility. I'm not naïve enough to think it's not plausible and it will be in the back of my mind from Game 1 to Game 14-15. He stays healthy and improves his passing accuracy and the secondary improves just enough? Buckeyes will be unbeaten when we go to East Lansing. After that? Who knows?

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.