Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

I. HATE. DRIVING.

jeremytwoface's picture
August 6, 2014 at 8:37am
205 Comments

Seriously. The first thing I will do if I win the lottery is hire a driver or buy a helicopter.

I think I made a thread like this on the old site but, after today, I want to renew it. It's a good place to vent about what really grinds your gears (pun intended) on the road.

On of my biggest pet peeves while driving happened to day. I was driving to work and there was an accident on the other side of the road and everyone on MY side of the road just HAD to slow down to see what was going on. I was driving on a 4 lane highway with about a 10 yard median between the East bound and West bound traffic. THE SMALL FENDER BENDER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD DOES NOT EFFECT YOU IN ANY WAY!!!

A couple other big ones I have involve merging on to highways and interstates. Why do people try to merge into traffic that is going 70+ mph while they are going 50 mph?? Also, if I am trying to merge onto the highway and you are in the lane I'm merging into and there is NO ONE in the left lane, please get the hell over!!!

One more and then I'll let you guys rant... in the winter, if you want to go slow because of bad roads, I'm all for it. But don't go 25 mph in a 35 and then speed up to go 45 mph when the speed limit changes to 55 mph. If the road conditions change, then fine. But when the road conditions are EXACTLY the same as there 5 feet ago, why would you speed up? Why couldn't you go 35 mph when the speed limit was 35 but now you can go 45 because the speed limit is 55????

Alright... That is all.

/rant

Oyster's picture

The Lottery.  A tax for the mathmatically challenged.

+28 HS
SlumLord6973's picture

Some people invest in mutual funds and self directed Roth IRAs and others play the lottery. LOL

OSUStu's picture

I love driving!  I just hate other drivers.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+23 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

I live in Houston, or north of it anyway.   Used to have to go downtown for work. That took 3 and a half hours of my day away just driving/riding the bus.  Anybody who has a real commute in a place like LA, Houston, Atlanta, and even DC I feel sorry for.  Now I work 4 miles from home and go home for lunch.  Couldn't be happier.

+6 HS
sox33osu's picture

Which part of Houston?

I grew up off of 1960 in Champions and then moved to Spring.

Now I live in Conroe.

Run_Fido_Run's picture

I love Paris . . . if it weren't for all those damn Parisians. 

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I HATE TTUN!!!!!!!!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

SlumLord6973's picture

I hate driving. I hate selfish assholes around me. I wish I could yank these mother fuckers out of the car and beat the living shit out of them and then head stomp your fucking ass till your brains are squeezed out of your fucking ears. I cannot tell you how many times some jack off damn near swipes the front end of my auto while I got my family in just so you can get ahead one fucking car length in traffic where you are not going anywhere. Thank you asshole for jeapordizing everyone's lives around you every time you jig in and out in all the lanes as you live out your little fucking nascar fantasy driving your piece of shit. I swear to fucking Christ all mighty that if you cause an accident that costs me a family member I will fucking kill you and not give a flying fuck about the consequences.

("You" is not directed towards anyone personally. Its a general "you". But if you are one of those little pin headed jack offs who drives like an idiot then yes I am directing this right at your ass.)

-2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Some moron this morning on a Victory motorcycle would get into the center/turn-only lane every time traffic slowed down (instead of slowing down himself) and just pass everyone and cut in dangerously, in front of other cars. I'm with you, man.

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

95% of motorcycle riders and bicyclists are doing it the right way.  But there are those few that share the road yet act as though traffic laws do not apply to them.  It drives me crazy.  And I think they help to make the roads more unsafe for the responsible motorcycle riders and bicyclists as motorists may be less likely to take care around them.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah the reason that all of these things make me so mad isn't just because I have an anger problem (I don't... I swear), but it's because it's so dangerous. 

ALL of these things cause accidents.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I don't know, this just seems appropriate...

At least you're not riding a horse.

+17 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I'm glad someone got the reference!

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

There is a discussion in the Skully today about early risers.  Another advantage of getting up so early, there is no traffic in the morning and it is very light in the afternoon.  Accidents?  I never see them.  I hear about them on the radio once I get to work.

+8 HS
yrro's picture

Definitely. If I leave at the right time, my commute is under 35 minutes. If I leave at the wrong time, it's 50. Definitely a good incentive to skip the snooze button.

Obviously some jobs are less flexible. Although finding a gym near work can help with that.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

My biggest pet peeve is usually on rural roads. Someone will pull out in front of me, causing me to slow down. This alone frustrates me but I can live with it. What really makes it bad is when they take the next turn before even getting up to speed. It's bad enough I had to slow down, now you're making me wait while you turn. My combination of horns, obscenities, and fingers will get me shot someday when this happens. 

+11 HS
BuckeyeOfTheTiger's picture

Especially when there is no one behind you.  They could have waited 5 extra seconds, not cut you off, not wasted your time as you waited for them to turn, and only wasted 5 EXTRA SECONDS of their day....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

I know what you are going to hate more than driving when you reach 10,000 helmet stickers...

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I think I've found a loophole in the system.... We'll see how it goes.

jeremytwoface's picture

Oh I almost forgot one... and I'm not sure how.

I was following my wife home from her parents house last night and the guy in front of her was going kind of slow... Probably 50 mph in a 55.

Well she decided to pass him because we were on a very straight road and no one was coming at all. Well the guy speeds up to over 70 mph so that she can't pass him.

WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??

If you're going slower than the speed limit, you should expect people to pass you. 

Oh and I forgot to mention my wife is pregnant with our first child. Needless to say, I wasn't happy (with the guy OR my wife) and I followed way too closely behind the guy after she had passed him.... even when it turned into a 4 lane road. Yeah, I have a little road rage sometimes.

+16 HS

I HATE THIS.  Even dumber are the people that cant just pick a speed on the freeway.  It's 4 lanes and not much traffic.  Car is going 65.  I'm going 70 to 75.  And as I reach him he speeds up to match me.  WHY?  I'm not racing you, I'm on cruise control, and there are 2 other lanes so it's not like I'm trying to get ahead of you to then directly in front of you.

Also in this vein, I can't stand when I am cruising at 75-80mph (we have big speed limits here on open freeways between cities) and in the process of a 3 hour drive to another town and I have the same clown pass me and then I pass him like 40 times because he can't just pick a speed.  It's dumb but it drives me crazy because inevitably I will have to slow down because of this guy.

+17 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Agreed....

My wife complains all the time about people that don't use cruise control. Even if you aren't going to use cruise control, you should be able to stay the same speed pretty easily.

Also on a side note, I just realized that I told all of you that my wife is pregnant...... I haven't even told my parents yet.

+13 HS

Haha.  Congratulations.  Get your sleep now.

Make sure to indoctrinate your kids as early as possible too.  My kids were both excited they got their back to school shoes in OSU colors.  My littlest also got his backpack in OSU colors.  He was thrilled.  I must be doing something right.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Already have an Ohio State binkey lined up... And I'm sure I'll get some OSU onesies as well.

+1 HS
BullCityBuckeye's picture

Congrats on the baby on the way!  Baby Buckeye swag is always the best.  Love shopping/buying OSU gear for my kids much to the chagrin of my wife (UNC grad).

Un/related sidenote: I taught my kids to say "Go Buckeyes!!" at a *very* early age (i.e., probably started several weeks way too early).   Wife started getting tired of my twins (and I) fist pumping and using our "outside voices" to occasionally cheer "Go Buckeyes" at breakfast.  Too bad, little does she know I've already started with our 14-month year old daughter (who can only say 5 words; need to increase her vocabulary, right?)

Go Buckeyes!

+3 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I told 11Ws before I told Facebook. Congrats. There is a baby thread on here in the forums still, somewhere in the archives, we did a new one on the new site.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+2 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Congratulations, JTF! 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Thank you!

buckeyebfd's picture

Don't let your parents know you told us first

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I definitely won't.... My mom would freak.

RubixTube's picture

Don't want to steal JTF's thunder, but my wife just texted me that she's scheduled for induction (our 3rd) on Monday at 9:00am.  The first two are already die hard Buckeyes (although they think every team playing any sport is the Buckeyes), hoping to continue the trend.

Never before in the history of man have lives less lived been more chronicled. - Dennis Miller

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

No thunder stolen at all!!

Congratulations!

Earle's picture

I'm sorry, Jeremy, I already told her.  Was it supposed to be a surprise?

Just say no to italics abuse.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Damn it Earle!!!

ElGato69's picture

I have begun to think that there are natural laws governing stupid driving behavior.  I have named this one the "Law of Speed Equilibrium".  You have stated one of the corollaries: when one approaches a driver from behind, said driver accelerates to match the speed at which you are driving, or within a close proximity.  Another one is: when drivers move to pass slower traffic, inevitably they slow down to match the speed of the traffic they are trying to pass.  In both cases, drivers subliminally seek to drive the same speed, thereby creating gridlock for everyone.

Not that I get caught up in this - I like flaunting the law!

CALPOPPY's picture

I find that the people that don't regulate their speed aren't paying attention. I think that they sometimes speed up because they realize they were going slower, and not because they are trying to race. Just means they need to pay better attention. I notice that some people on phones will speed up and then slow down as they lose their attention only to sped up again to pass you once they realize that they're not going as fast. It's funny because that ultimately don't get anywhere faster but have a higher chance of a speeding ticket and also have lower gas mileage. 

Now that doesn't excuse the asses that Twoface was discussing that speed up not to be passed. They are just asses.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Brutus1972's picture

This, MFers who cant maintain speed and people that don't understand that the far left lane is the fast/passing lane and the right lane is for slower traffic and after you pass. Big trucks attempting to pass other big trucks in the left lane and idiots that continue to hold them hostage there by passing them on the right is what causes 75% of traffic. Please let the truck driver get back into the right lane instead of passing him on the right and leaving him there, he knows how to drive and will get back over unless he has heard over the CB that theres a cop ahead, in that case he is doing you a favor the entire time you are cursing him. However, idiots who stay in the left lane no matter how many people are stacked up behind them deserve to be shot. I pass them on the right and slow down infront of them until they move over and then hit the gas. am I missing something?????????? Oh Yeah, I am not a mind reader, turn signals are indicators, turning them on after you have already cut me off is like saying excuse me can I get by after you have already ran into me. Also, people who don't understand that you cant change lanes in an intersection nor can you chose which lane you would like to turn into while turning at a light. When you leave a one lane left turn lane into a 2 lane, the one closest to the double line is yours and you have to maintain that lane and signal to legally get into curb lane.  Disclaimer: I am not a truck driver nor do I actually know one.

Earle's picture

Yeah, I have a little road rage sometimes.

But you don't have an anger problem...

BierStube's picture

I hired a driver a while back .. turned out great ...

But if all else fails ... just remember to use proper hand signals ...

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+9 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+4 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I hope your driver is better than Toonces...

+12 HS
BierStube's picture

He is a great driver .. and works for kibble ... and a few bits.

I should point out that is also very important to to shoot video while driving!

+3 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Toonces! Look out!

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

BoFuquel's picture

Some of my cars will do well over 200 mph. Why can't I ever get them up to speed on public roads? GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

+3 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I have a long list of things that piss me off.  One of them is, when the guy at the front of the line (in left hand turn lane), doesn't pull up INTO the damned intersection.  YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT 'BEHIND' THE WHITE LINE!!!  There stupidity normally results in no one being able to turn left, through an entire light cycle------including themselves!!  You can pull out INTO the intersection, and legally turn left, even after the light turns red-----you have the right to clear the intersection.  Learn the effin rules of the road, or stay the hell off of it.

+14 HS
OSUmuFAN's picture

I wish i could upvote this more than once

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I don't think anything makes me question the future of humanity more than this.

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Move to another state (like Virginia) where people not only don't pull into the intersection, but the cross traffic does not allow left hand turners to clear the intersection.  They just start going.  And everyone going straight will run the light unless it is red a full second before they get to the white line.  I almost got into a few accidents just trying to turn left on yellow.

+2 HS
The Butler's picture

Had almost the exact opposite happen on my way to work this morning. Getting ready to turn on to the freeway and the guy ahead of me pulls out in to the intersection, like he should have. When the light turned red, he didn't go through the intersection, he just sat out in the middle of it. A semi was coming off of the freeway and nearly couldn't complete a left hand turn because this guy was out in the middle of the intersection. 

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

I think that there are states where it was not legal to pull into the intersection unless you can clear the intersection before the light turns. And others have rules against blocking the box.

That being said, I don't know of people that have been ticketed for such an offense and I want people to pull into the intersection as you suggest. But I think that the rules can be ambiguous.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture

My favorite type of douchebaggery is when you're driving toward an intersection, the person on the intersecting road slows to a crawl at the stop sign, then guns the turn in order to avoid getting behind you, and then proceeds to drive 5-10 mph under the speed limit.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+11 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Oh man I hate this one as well...

When people pull out in front of you almost causing you to hit them and then act like they are in no rush and drive under the speed limit.

I feel the same way when you are at a stop light and the guy next to you wants to drag race to get in front of you before his lane ends, but then proceeds to go 5-10 mph under the speed limit. If you were in such a hurry to get in front of one single car, then you should at least be going the speed limit.

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

Don't you just vaporize them and be done with it?

+3 HS

Or just as good, they do that exact move causing you to slam on your brakes.  The Kicker......dumbass had more than one lane to pull into and chose yours.  The only lane that had a car coming when he should have just moved over one when he pulled out cause no other car was there.

+2 HS
The Butler's picture

This happened to me this morning too. Because of the fog, a guy was going 35 in a 55. I didn't stress much because it was foggy and I didn't want to risk passing him. We pulled up to an intersection of a busier road. The headlights from the oncoming traffic could be seen despite the fog. This guy did a rolling stop at the stop sign and then hit the gas so that he wouldn't have to be behind anyone. I don't understand; if you're so concerned about the fog, why do you bust your ass to get ahead of everyone? I let three cars cross the intersection and caught up to this guy within a mile after turning on to the busy road.

+1 HS
ManOfSky's picture

Rubberneckers always slowing down to look at an accident.

+3 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Yep.....you can look going the speed limit, the same as you can look going slow!!!  I've sat on 270 (more like creeping along at 10 mph), for an hour------only to see that the ONLY thing slowing the whole fricking freeway system down, was a guy changing a damned FLAT TIRE......on the OPPOSITE side of the road!!!  

+1 HS

I'm sorry to say this folks, but Columbus, OH has the WORST drivers I've ever had to drive with.

I've driven in NYC, Cleveland, Cincy, and all major cities between here and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Columbus still tops the list of worst drivers.

I'm not saying any of YOU are on the list, but chances are, you at least know someone personally who sucks at driving.

+4 HS
cplunk's picture

As someone who has lived in both Washington DC and Los Angeles, I'm going to disagree. I give all drivers in the entire state of Maryland my vote for the worst drivers in the nation.

+2 HS
JOhio1560's picture

Yeah, the DC/metro area has terrible drivers.  Driving thru northern Virginia is awful.  I have had many bad experiences driving thru that area.  Columbus drivers are okay in my opinion.  They aren't the best but they're usually semi-respectful from my experiences.  But Cincinnati drivers are pretty bad.  Whenever I'm there, it's like everyone decides to go 85 and weave in and out of traffic.  Just this weekend I got flipped off by some jerk weaving in and out of traffic in northern Cincy.  And I was doing 77.  He must have been going at least 95 MPH.

"You Win With People" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
leezy531's picture

Hahaha..Yes, we're kinda terrible in driving. I don't understand how a suburb of DC can have such city-like driving tendencies. Like calm down, Whole Foods will still be there. Wait a minute, I'm from MD..ohhhh jeez

+2 HS
Aesculus.'s picture

Totally agree.  And I tried to deny it for a while until.....I was almost hit 4 straight times.  

11/8/2014 @Michigan State aka Payback

+2 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

I think that Chicago is the worst.

ElGato69's picture

MOTS, you must not have spent enough time driving in Cincy.  Since moving here 6 years ago, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who live to drive the speed limit, or slower.  I blame it all on the overly large Catholic population here (I keed, I keed...)

-2 HS
DannyBeane's picture

No no no... Alabama has the worst drivers. Always driving 10 miles under the speed limit and not understanding how traffic lights work. The week I spent down there with a friend, the driving was awful.

psibuck's picture

The driver that turns on his left turn signal but refuses to get in the center turn lane until he is almost at a dead stop.  Those people deserved to be throat punched. 

+11 HS

Or the driver that slams on their breaks at a turn, is halfway through the turn, and THEN puts on their signal...

+5 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

People not using their turn signal drives me nuts.

How much work is it to just reach your finger over and flip the nob. 

+4 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Drives me crazy too, but this meme makes me laugh out loud every time

+1 HS
OSUmuFAN's picture
"Get into the turn lane Jim!"
BierStube's picture

+18 HS
hodge's picture

People that do this:

+15 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This is especially true at my work when it's snowing.... People can't see the lines so they just park where ever. Just park right next to the person that just parked.

tommrkr's picture
I've started giving these out on campus.
+10 HS
rosenbuck's picture

Here's something to keep in mind with this one: if there are a shortage of spots available, it might not be the person you think is an asshole's fault. They could have been forced to park that way by some other massive douchebag who parked before them, only now has left and you only see the second person and blame them.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I. HATE. DRIVING.

Well then maybe you should move to China and ride a bicycle like all the other commies.

+7 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

If I could ride a bike to work, I totally would. 

+6 HS

Then we'd just have another thread from someone else complaining about one more bicyclist who thinks he owns the road.

+2 HS
Kurt's picture

LOL,  Scarlet_Lutefisk, I like your style... are you familiar with PFTCommenter?

RubixTube's picture

This one has driven me crazy since the day I got my license....  When you see a sign on the interstate (or any highway for that matter) that says "Right/Left lane ends ahead, merge Right/Left", guess what it means?  It means the f$*king right/left lane is about to f@*king END.  It doesn't mean hang out in the right/left lane until the absolute last minute so you have to slam on your brakes in order to 'squeeze' in between 2 other drivers who actually read the sign, comprehended its message, and got the f@*k over.

A few other ATF's:

•  if you're approaching a traffic light in the left lane & know that you need to turn right within 500ft of the intersection, get the f@*k over now.
  • if you're turning in front of an oncoming car and that car has to slow down to accommodate you, you didn't have enough room to turn.
  • On a road with an odd number of lanes (center turn lane), the center turn lane is for turning OFF of that road, not for you turn into and drive real slow until you can merge into traffic.
  • The left lane of the interstate/freeway is called the "Passing Lane".  It is called that because you are only supposed to use that lane to PASS other cars, not set your cruise control at the posted speed limit(!) and hang out for 500 miles.
  • When turning left at a light, ONLY the car IN the intersection may clear on yellow/red.

- END RANT -

Never before in the history of man have lives less lived been more chronicled. - Dennis Miller

+9 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

On a road with an odd number of lanes (center turn lane), the center turn lane is for turning OFF of that road, not for you turn into and drive real slow until you can merge into traffic.

I'd normally agree with you here, but there are a lot of situations where if you didn't do this, you'd wait 2 hours to get out.  I'm thinking Dublin Rd. near Grandview around 4:30-5:30 pm.

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah I agree.... There are certain roads where it would be impossible to turn onto without getting in that lane first. I'm fine with people doing it if they do it correctly.

+4 HS
osu07asu10's picture

A couple other big ones I have involve merging on to highways and interstates. Why do people try to merge into traffic that is going 70+ mph while they are going 50 mph??

That is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I can't stand the jackass in the left lane who thinks that because he is going 66 mph, he has every right to be there.

To top it off, then you get an opportunity to pass them and they speed all the way up to 80 just so you can't pass them. This wasn't much of a problem when I had my Maxima but I'm in a Forester now that has about as much get up and go as Brady Hoke.

I'm with you on the bike. I just moved out of Victorian Village, before that I could ride my bike from Short North all the way to work on the Olentangy Bike Trail (12.2 miles each way). Loved every bit of it.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS
The Butler's picture

Can't upvote this enough!

Furious George 27's picture

Three things that piss me off:

1. Drivers texting and not paying attention like douche bags

2. People talking on phones, especially in the moring. Who the hell needs to have a conversation before 0700?

3. People in the turn lane, that turn in front of traffic as soon as the light turns green and nearly cause an accident because they can't wait 30 seconds

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+7 HS

They call #3 the Pittsburgh Left.  It's something of a courtesy there, where oncoming traffic from the opposite direction will let the person make their left turn before they go on green.  I don't do it or expect others to, but maybe those people are from areas where it is common.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NH-IO's picture

Have to disagree with the second merging issue of the OP.  If I have to move over so that you can get onto the highway, you're doing it wrong.  Proper procedure:  1)  Get up to highway speed by the end of the ramp.  2)  Adjust your speed appropriately to MERGE into the flow of traffic.

+5 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

But what I'm saying is that there is no other traffic. It's not like I'm merging onto I-71 during rush hour.

I'm talking about having no other person on the road. I realize that it is the merger's responsibility to yield, but if there is no traffic, why the hell wouldn't you just get over one lane so I can comfortably merge onto the highway? It's common courtesy.

+7 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I am of the mindset that every merge requires participation from the traffic in both lanes.

If there is room to move to the left, it is the courteous and respectable thing to do.  If there is not, determine whether speeding up or slowing down would have the least impact on traffic flow overall (not just for you) and do so.  If the person getting on is clearly in front of you, that means slow down 2 mph to let them on, rather than speeding up by 20 and forcing them to slam on their brakes or run them off the road.

If you are merging onto the freeway, hit the friggin gas.  If there are many of you, then weave with traffic every other car.  Don't clump 3 or 4 of you together forcing the traffic already there to stop.

I could go on, but I can't think of all the merging scenarios that piss me off at the moment.

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

I had one of these yesterday.  Traffic was bad enough that I couldn't get left to let someone on from the ramp.  Yet, they aren't slowing down or speeding up in order to merge in front or behind me.  I blow my horn.  Still, they keep getting closer and closer until they are within a couple of feet from my rearview mirror.  So, I lay on the horn about four times and they look at me like "What did I do?"

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

In that case, yes, it is the merger's responsibility to slow down (or even stop) until they can get in.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

In that case, yes, it is the merger's responsibility to slow down (or even stop) until they can get in.

I know you're saying that in context of a packed merging lane but I have to disagree. The worst thing someone can do is slow down or stop when merging.

Get up to speed and work your way in. If for some reason you are stuck in the merging lane you have to give the person an in if they are at speed, even if you have to get off the gas a few mph.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

True... I mean, I would expect SOMEONE to let me in. I do know of some spots where you almost have to slow down to a stop because the way the on-ramp is built and the traffic that's usually there.

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Some merges are just really poorly designed too.  Sawmill onto I270 East comes to mind.  And there's areas in Virginia where there is no room to get up to speed prior to merging and  where you only have limited visibility of oncoming highway traffic coming around the corner at 70mph.  So you are going 0-10mph and have to merge into cars rounding a corner at 70mph with no opportunity to avoid you.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Sawmill onto I270 East comes to mind. 

I think that is pretty decent actually. Two lanes, long on ramp going downgrade, plenty of time to get up to speed and really you have 1 mile in the far right lane to merge into traffic as that lane was created by the on-ramp.

+1 HS
Buckataltitude's picture

I am one that thinks, get up to speed to merge. But I understand what Jeremytwoface is saying. I hate when I am pulling a trailer and people do not try and make room.

When I am in my car and see a trailer, I do all I can to make room (speed up, move over, slow down). I know how much of a pain it is to slow down and speed up when you are pulling a trailer.

Onionballz's picture

My list:

• On the interstate with little to no traffic.  People who cannot maintain a consistent speed.  Pick a speed and stay with it....use cruise control if necessary.
  • Hang up and drive.  Yes, even when using your hands free option.  If you are on the phone I guarantee that you are slowing down, speeding up or weaving.
  • Signal your intentions and at the first opportunity follow through on that intention then immediately accelerate to the speed everyone else in that lane is going.
  • Risking everyone's life to get ahead of 4 people is never, ever worth it.  You are talking about saving maybe 5 minutes.
  • "Watch out for motorcycles!"  Sorry, you choose to ride a vehicle with essentially no safety devices, you need to be way more careful than I do.  If you are on a bike you need to stay out of my blind spot and not ride like a complete asshole.
  • Drive your freaking combines and tractors down the road in the middle of the day or in the middle of the night.  Your huge ass machine takes up the entire 2 lane road @ 15 mph and "rush hour" isn't the time to do it. 

Yeah Baby! - KK

+7 HS
Toolface4's picture

People who are turning left across three lanes of traffic and just pull out and stop, blocking all three lanes, until they can make it in. Seems to be the old timers that have this perfected. Go to a light if you can't make it across ...

+3 HS
Nappy's picture

We need a new plague.  Ebola, anyone?

Fan of bacon since 1981

+3 HS
Toolface4's picture

But there is nothing worse then drunk drivers. I T-Boned a guy who blew a stop sign a couple weeks ago. Totaled my car and sent my girlfriend to the hospital. The air bag burned. Her shirt in half. Thankfully no serious injuries just some bruises and burns. On the bright side, went from a crappy used focus to a new fusion..

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yikes...  Glad it wasn't anything too serious. I'd be suing the hell out of that guy...

osu07asu10's picture

But there is nothing worse then drunk drivers. 

Can't agree more. When I first moved to Western NC back in 2008 I was told by numerous locals that the state doesn't have happy hours because the hilljacks can't handle the deals and get all hammered and drive drunk.

Welp, I was hit by 2 drunk drivers in 18 months. One on a Sunday afternoon (an old man with a Steel Reserve tallboy in the cupholder) where the guy veered left of center on a 55mph road and near head on impact at some 40mph

Went from 40mph to 0. Witnesses said all four tires on my car left the ground and the car came back down. My wife and I "walked" away, me with a broken nose from the airbag/windshield (I don't believe in seatbelts and I'll have a discussion about it any day) and my wife spent 2 weeks in bed from whiplash.

Happened 18 months later on a Friday night, someone turned left in front of us on green seemingly oblivious of any traffic around him.

I don't preach against it, I don't judge those who have done it (as I have too), but drinking and driving is the worst.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I would like to hear your 'take', on seatbelts.  Guys, everyone has a right to an opinion on the matter.  Please don't downvote the guy for telling his story.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Thanks Rill. Pretty ridiculous, you guys can come kick my dog if you'd like too...

Seatbelts CAN and DO save lives but in many cases can cause more serious injury and potentially death in accidents. Seat belts were basically instituted to avoid ejection in front collision crashes, a very rare occurrence in automobile accidents. For other types of accidents, seat belts can be more harmful.

The biggest reason being is that the 3 point seat belt is often times worn incorrectly, specifically in the lap belt. The "lap" belt needs to be sitting on your hips but many allow it to slide up to their abdomen.This is a problem because of the force a seat belt places on the body.

In the case of my accident I referenced above:

A person weighing 150 pounds (slightly under my weight) and wearing a seatbelt, for example, coming to a stop in one second from 44 miles per hour, would experience a force of 300 pounds from the seatbelt. If the person came to a stop from 30 miles per hour in one foot, as shown in the NHTSA dummy tests, the force of the seatbelt on the person would be 4,509 pounds for .045 seconds, the time it takes for the person to stop.

As I mentioned I did not wear my seatbelt and walked away with a broken nose but no whiplash. My wife who was wearing her seatbelt properly felt the impact of approximately 4,509 lbs, albeit for a split second, which rendered her bed ridden for 2 weeks. Obviously, I faced the greater possibility for ejection (but the potential for that to happen in any accident is extremely small) but walked away in much better shape medically.

This is all explained in this report, based on Federal crash statistics. You don't have to take my word for it, but you could be a bit more open minded as to why I questioned the efficacy of a 3 point harness.

My father was also t-boned by a Columbus Police Officer on Front Street in downtown Columbus where his seatbelt caused massive internal bleeding emergency surgery, and ended up having 36 inches of his large and small intestines removed along with his gall bladder and still feels the effects today, 9 years later.

+2 HS
Aesculus.'s picture

I might not agree with you on this.... haven't really looked into it like yourself, but I will say you should absolutely have the choice to wear one or not.  

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I might not agree with you on this.... haven't really looked into it like yourself, but I will say you should absolutely have the choice to wear one or not.  

In the same way that you have a choice not to murder someone.......

+1 HS
Aesculus.'s picture

not really.  I'd say in the same way you have a choice to kill yourself.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I'm not anti-seatbelt, I'm just not pro seatbelt per say.

I have been in accidents without them and fared much better than those who wore them. Also the accident with my Dad. 

For the record, my Subaru won't let me drive down the road without a constant beep until my seatbelt is on so I really have no choice in the matter at this point. My kid will also be in a seatbelt anytime they are in the car with me. If 3 point harnesses were the way to go..that is what would be in baby's car seats too. Put me in a 5 pt harness and a HANS device and I won't argue at all...

+2 HS
KingsRite's picture

I drive a commercial vehicle for a living and could write a book on the subject. I know all the tricks and have seen every "entitled" crappy manuever possible. At least 60% of the population drive like morons and that includes the people who think the passing lane has no speed limit which is dictated by who wants to go the fastest.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+5 HS
Aesculus.'s picture

"entitled", excellent description KR.  

+2 HS
buckeyefutbol's picture

My personal favorite is the guy who drives 10 miles under the speed limit in the left lane of a busy interstate.

Also, I live in Virginia where there are mountains. Truckers going up the mountain who are going 45 on the interstate passing a guy going 35 up the mountain. THE WORST.

"Lets beat the s*** out of M*******" -Urban Frank Meyer

+5 HS
Sturdy Son of Ohio's picture

I am forever frustrated when at red light and there are two lanes but no middle turning lane and you pull up behind someone that does not have their left turn signal on.  One then would assume they will continue straight through the intersection once the light changes.  Instead once the signal changes to green they turn on their left signal, or no signal at all and now you are stuck behind them.  That is most irritating.

+5 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

To piggy back on this.... I hate when people won't turn right on a red light. Like their scared some magical car is going to appear out of nowhere and T-bone them when they turn.

+7 HS
Sturdy Son of Ohio's picture

Agreed, one more than I'm done, I swear.  This morning downtown nearly saw a pedestrian get taken out by not one but three cars turning left while the walk sign was clearly in favor of those using the crosswalk.  I just watched as each one came within inches of splattering a young professional all over the pavement.  Situational awareness is not something those three drivers can rely on.

+3 HS
cplunk's picture

It's worse here in Virgina- a lot of red lights have a sign that says in big bold letters "NO TURN ON RED" and then below in small letters "WHEN PEDESTRIANS ARE PRESENT".

So, of course, guess what about 75% of the drivers do? That's right, sit there and refuse to turn right on red. If you beep, they point at the sign. At which point I beep and point at the sign. So we end up with both of us beeping and pointing more and more vehemently at the sign, which only I have completely read.

You have no idea how frustrating it is to sit through entire red light cycles every day because people only partially read posted signs.

+3 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

You must not have seen the even smaller letters that say "STILL NO TURN ON RED" underneath "WHEN PEDESTRIANS ARE PRESENT".

What also annoys me is when I exit off I-71N to Morse Rd. there is a dedicated continuous right turn lane.  There is a sign right there that says continuous right turn with caution.  And people still stop there forever and do not turn because they want to get into the left hand lane after they turn -- well guess what?  There's a middle turn lane for that purpose if you need to make an immediate left turn and need to wait for a green light.  Don't block the continuous lane.

+4 HS
jedkat's picture

The only real pisser I have is when there's construction, and 1 lane is closing. You sit for 10 -15 minutes in a line of traffic because everyone is merging into 1 lane and just as you get up to the one lane merge point some jackhole comes flying up the shoulder and tries to force their way in.

I'll ride the car's bumper in front of me every time in that situation. Congratulations, You're an asshole.

"I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over"

~ Joey Bosa

+7 HS

THANKS!

+2 HS
leezy531's picture

THIS. I remember when I was driving from MD back to Columbus, and of course there were the assholes driving up to the very front and waiting last second to merge.  An 18 wheeler got fed up with the douchebaggery and cuts off the lane; gave him a thumbs up out of my sunroof. 

For some reason a lot of Ohio drivers do not know that the left lane is a passing lane.  I've made the trip between MD and Columbus at least twenty times now, and it always seems like Ohioans are the main culprit of this.  

+2 HS
ElGato69's picture

Jedkat,

You have identified my #1 all time hated driving maneuver, and #2 is not even close.  How much do I hate it, you ask?  Well, one time I found myself in such a situation on I-75N in Dayton.  I did the polite thing, which was to merge into the single lane well in advance of the mandated merge point.  After seeing several "jackholes" advance themselves to the head of the line, I proceeded to move over to the open lane to block the next guy.  Well, he then proceeds to move into the berm to pass me on the left.  I counter, and voila!  he rear-ends me.  He gets out, shouts some choice words at me, to which I reply calmly I'll be waiting for the cops to show up so we can sort this out & he can pay for the damages to my car.  The police show up, get both sides of the story, then proceed to cuff me & take me to the county clink (thank you city of Moraine).  After spending some money to lawyer up for my defense, my charge gets thrown out & I pay court costs.

So yeah, I'd have to say this one is my absolute fav...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Jeremy - just off road it like the rest of us.

+4 HS
BierStube's picture

I always hate this guy in traffic ...

+1 HS

Welcome to Russia tovarich!

This thread is just a perfect example of explaining why Justifiable Homicide is a thing.

What's the saying....?  A person is smart. People are dumb.  That's what I think about the masses on the road with me and it drives me nuts.

Citrus's picture

My biggest pet peeve is people that drive in the passing lane at the speed limit. Listen white knights, I wanna go faster. I want to pass. I certainly don't want to drive completely surrounded by semis going the exact same speed that I am traveling. So get the F over! 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture
All Driving should be done like Hunter, John, and Johnny do it. Messed up, with the top down, and a blow up doll across all three passenger's laps. Hunter, John, and Johnny

-The Aristocrats!

Bugsyk's picture

I hate to say it, but it's mainly an Ohio thing: Holding the left lane....grrr

cplunk's picture

Here is one of mine: A Yield sign is NOT a Stop sign.

There are an astounding number of people that pull up to a yield sign, stop, then look to see if traffic is coming and they can go. Ummmm, folks, that is the correct meaning and action of a Stop sign. A Yield sign indicates that you should slow slightly while looking and, if traffic is approaching yield the right of way. This yield can be either by slowing enough to allow the other cars to continue before you enter or stopping if the situation calls for it.

What is absolutely not necessary, nor correct, is to pull up to a Yield sign and stop when there is no traffic for which you need to yield.

+4 HS
JasonR's picture

Oh yes, I hate this too. Happens pretty often at an intersection near my house.

+1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I pass through 3 roundabouts going to and coming from work. The amount of times I have screamed out GO! NO ONE ELSE IS COMING! WHAT THE FRACK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!?! is going to give me an aneurysm some day.

osu07asu10's picture

Yeah in NC they have continuous right turns with a yield sign and they work well.

Getting off at Bethel going south on 315 they put a continuous right turn and the majority of people stop.

I am generally calm behind the wheel but I lose my freaking shit at that turn. Horn, yelling, arm motions the whole 9 yds

The Rill Dill's picture

Absolutely!!-------word of advice:  Don't watch a Buckeye 'pump-up' video before approaching that situation!!

+1 HS
JasonR's picture

Great thread! I agree with pretty much everything said, and I'll add a few of my biggest peeves:

1 - This one seems to happen more in Columbus than other places - but people run red lights like crazy. I feel like I still need to look both ways even when the light turns green. And ESPECIALLY left turn lanes...I can't stand when a light turns red, and three or four cars from the left turn lane just go anyway.

2 - People who pull out in to the center lane when there is a lot of traffic and just sit or drive slowly until they can merge in to traffic. Extra a**hole points for blocking me from turning left. Don't F***ing do this. Wait until it is clear to turn in to traffic.

3. People who do something stupid, and then flip you off when you honk at them to let them know that you don't appreciate their stupidity.

4. People who can't park within the lines. Trust me, you are not so important that you get to use two spaces.

IMO all of these things warrant a punch in the throat.

On a side note, just wanted to offer a story...I was sitting at a light at High Street and North Broadway recently (a few cars back from the light) and when it turned green, about 3 seconds later this guy just comes flying through the red light. Had to be going at least 50 MPH. And the kicker is, he and his passenger both had middle fingers out the windows to all of us with the green light. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

+3 HS
d5k's picture

Just so you know for some reason honking your horn in Ohio is reserved for someone who insulted your mother or said your first born child is ugly.  Basically honking is worse than the middle finger to most people in Ohio.

+1 HS
JasonR's picture

Ha, it sure seems that way. Although when I lived in AZ (where the drivers are WAY worse than they are here) it happened a lot too. I mean, somebody once sat through an entire (short) red light in front of me without moving. When I honked they flipped me off. WTF??

buckeyestu's picture

What burns my ass is parking. I will park one of my two decent cars a long ways from a store, and when I get back to my car there are usually two bigger vehicles parked on either side of my vehicle so close I can barely get my car door open. Once I manage to get into my vehicle, it then becomes a challenge of leaving the parking space unable to see left or right if another vehicle(s) is coming. Let me park my work car in the same space, there will be no other vehicle that will come near it parking wise. I also hate lane jumpers. What is the big rush? To win the race to the next stop light?

+3 HS

My old boss parks his car at the far end of a parking row just so there's only one space for someone to potentially park close to him.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BucksfanXC's picture

In Detroit, there is a style of driving that if everyone does it, works out, but if you get someone who drives "normally" which most would call, defensive driving, it's total chaos.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I can confirm this 100%

Aesculus.'s picture

@TwoFace, I definitely follow the speed limits during bad weather.  If you are on a road that has a curve the speed limits and recommended limits are engineered with those curves.  A 35 mph zone has much different topography than a 55mph zone.  Now you might be thinking of one stretch of road in particular that is straight, but in general I'd slow down in snow and use the speed limit signs as guides, so everyone stays safe. 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I am thinking of one particular stretch of road.....

On SR16 coming out of Pataskala (west bound and east bound... doesn't matter).... The road is exactly the same. The only reason it is a 35 is because you are entering a town/city limits. I can understand slowing down when you hit the speed limit change... that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about people who will go through the town going 10 mph under the speed limit because the roads are bad and then when the speed limit changes to 55, STILL going 10 mph under the speed limit. So now they are going 45 mph on the same exact road... No change in topography or anything. So why couldn't they go 35 mph five feet earlier?? Same thing bothers me in the opposite situation. 

You don't have to automatically go 10 mph under the speed limit because it's snowing. I understand being safe and, obviously, if the roadway changes (not plowed, a lot of curves, etc.) you should be more cautious. But if the only difference is the speed limit, you don't have to continue going slow. If you can control your vehicle going 45 in a 55, then you can control it going 35 in a 35 on the exact same road conditions. It's the same thing with the interstates... Now that they are 70 mph in rural areas. When it changes from 65 to 70, there's generally not because a change in the road conditions or topography... It's just because you are outside of city limits.

+2 HS
Aesculus.'s picture

I hear ya.... but keep in mind not everyone travels that road everyday or knows that road like you do.  If it's a SR like you say then I bet there are a lot of people just passing through who aren't as familiar that the road doesn't have a curve.  The only thing they have to go by is the limits.  You probably know that road like the back of your hand.  

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Possibly...

But I'm telling ya, the road is very very straight lol.... I mean, unless the visibility is very low, you can definitely see that there aren't any curves coming up. Same thing with interstates... Most interstates (unless you're in the mountains) don't have sharp turns.

Idk... Maybe I just need to not be such a pissed off driver lol. I will say that in those situations I won't ride the person's bumper.... It's just aggravating when I'm trying to get somewhere

tommrkr's picture

there is that kinda weird part right in front of stewart auto where the westbound lane has a bit of a shift that if you're not used to it, could throw you, but good God, I know your pain, man.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I actually live in that sub-division to the right....

If you're familiar with that area you must know exactly what I'm talking about.

+1 HS
tommrkr's picture

I teach at the Y across the street from that subdivision. :)

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Right on!

I've actually never been to that YMCA lol... I've only lived there for about a year and half.

MN Buckeye's picture

Looks like you really hit a nerve today, Jeremy! However, it could be worse: you could live in Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTbOIJ3hP4

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

There's a lot of video from Russian vehicles... I read something a while back that said that there is a lot of insurance fraud in Russia so nearly everyone has a dash cam in their vehicle.

+1 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

But I do really love the rare instance when road karma cashes in on some fool....

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+7 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Oh man that's awesome. I hope that no one helped him out.

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

About 10 years ago in the midst of a huge snowstorm, a friend of mine had some middle aged woman tailgating the heck out of him, and they were the only 2 cars on the road. She decides her best time to try and pass him is on the apex of a curve coming up on a huge lake. Needless to say, she goes over the 3 foot embankment and her car crashes through the ice. He pulls over to see her standing next to her slowly sinking out of sight car and she yells "HELP!" He simply responds "You should have thought about that 2 minutes ago" and drove off.

Poetic justice.

+2 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

You didn't happen to see any kids in the car while it was sinking kid you?

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I don't know what it is, but I've encountered two road closing crashes in the last 24 hours in the Columbus area that have closed roads that I needed to be on.  Last night, looked like a real bad wreck on West Broad near Hilliard-Rome...car upside down, someone stretchered out (hope he/she is OK).  This morning, Wilson road over I-70 was closed due to some semi accident.

My biggest pet peeve has always been people who don't get in the lane they need to be in until it's almost too late, then they have to jump over.  I intentionally block people from doing this if I can.  Read signs.  Not hard.

I hate texters and drivers.  Why are so many people on the fucking phone while driving?  Bluetooth hands free is very nice, by the way, because I can talk and voice text through car speaker.  Every future car should have this.

I hate going through a parking lot and some jackass trying to back out of a spot isn't looking, and starts backing up when he could hit me.  And I hate people that can't park.  Not hard to get it between both lines.  They probably struggle with this in the bedroom, too.

And I hate people who merge at 50 mph.  If I have nobody in front of me, I'm at highway speed by the time I merge.  And I hate people who can move to the left lane without causing a wreck when I'm trying to merge.  I do it for others if possible.

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

They probably struggle with this in the bedroom, too.

d5k's picture

I've been wanting to post this somewhere on the internet but has anyone seen the highway patrol motorcycle cop parked EXACTLY at the choke point of the westbound 70/71 split?!?  He is there almost every morning during rush hour.  And he almost always has someone pulled over.  And it is practically impossible to be going over the speed limit in that area.  But he is single-handedly delaying everyone's commute with the inevitable rubber necking and braking he causes.  AND WHY?!?!

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

$$$$

Even though it's almost impossible to go over the speed limit (it's 55 there, right?), I'm sure people do it.... A LOT. All those people he has pulled over are giving them probably at least $115 each.

d5k's picture

I'm sure its double fines with the construction but the same cop is there pretty much every day all summer.  It might go down to 45 right there but I don't think people get over 55 too much unless they get a tiny pocket of space and accelerate instinctively after sitting still for 5 minutes (that's who he is getting I'm sure).

The Rill Dill's picture

-------under the guise of, it's for your own good'.  Taking a days pay from some poor sob, who is only trying to get to work to make money.  It requires no effort by the cop.  They pull a guy over for going 6 over the speed limit, (but still going with the flow), while letting an asshole swerving through traffic get away with it. ......because he misses him while writing the other guy a damned ticket.  Common sense is out the window for some of these prick road nazis.  I feel better now.

d5k's picture

Basically.  They never get people for riding someone's bumper at 70mph or cutting people off which is way more dangerous than going 10 mph over the speed limit within the flow of traffic.  But to have a repeated daily speed trap at one of the most congested sections of highway in central Ohio during rush hour is disgusting.  I probably look like I'm singing along to death metal or DMX every time I pass him.

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

My biggest Pet Peave as a driver of a Commercial Vehicle is people in cars/trucks passing me on the right when I yield to a hazard on the side of the road. Also cars/trucks and semis who pass me on the right after I yield to on coming traffic at a merge lane. I've started just going over half way so stupid morons can't do it. Nobody should be in that big of a freakin hurry. Speed limit on I-70 is 65-70mph not 90mph.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

RubixTube's picture

Kings:  My #1 rule of driving:  Never piss off a trucker (or anyone that can radio ahead to f@$k with me).

+1 HS
ElGato69's picture

Kingsrite, I have an honest question for you, somewhat related to your comment: why has the center lane of a 3-lane highway become the new right lane for trucks?  I can get why drivers do this in the city, due to all the (poorly) merging traffic from on-ramps.  However, I see it even on the open highway outside of the city.  It effectively reduces the number of lanes of traffic unless the rightmost lane becomes fair game for passing.  Please shed some light here from your perspective, thanks.

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

Passing a truck on the right is fine on a road with more than two lanes in any one direction. Big no-no any other time.

CincyBuckeye04's picture

Mine is when people take their sweet ass time when the light turns green to either turn or move forward. I have a light right off of the exit I take to work every day where I see people just take their time turning left onto the main road. Meanwhile, all the cars waiting in line behind them to turn left have to sit and wait there and potentially miss this really long light.

+1 HS
DibbleDabble's picture

We've been pretty lucky with a cooler summer this year, but I absolutely cannot stand getting behind a cigarette smoker on a hot, humid day, as my air conditioner begins to slowly seep that disgustingly nauseating filthy odor of chemicals & cheap menthol into my cabin, as both of our cars brake for the impending red light.  Great.  Now I'm stuck...  Do I immediately rush to turn OFF my life saving A/C before the nasty 2nd hand smoke infiltrates the inside of my vehicle and ruins my comfort, as my in car temperature spikes to sauna level... or do I just bite the bullet and share this guy's heater at the intersection waiting for the light to go green, and proceed to vomit inside my mouth a bit and champion an instant headache, before I watch him litter out his window and drive off?

"Vision without execution is just hallucination."

+2 HS

Dude, you need to hit the recycle air button rather than the fresh air button so you can keep your A/C going.

Smoking is nasty, but what drives me crazier.....your picture above.  It should be legal to bash in anyone's head who just throws their butts on the ground.

+2 HS
RubixTube's picture

Cabin Air Fitlers work wonders for this and other nauseating aromas.

bleedscarletpissmaize's picture

My puppy throws her butt on the ground. Please don't bash her.

DannyBeane's picture

I drive an eclipse. Its a small car. What fills me up with rage is when I pull up to an intersection to turn right on red, I need to creep out a bit to see the traffic so I can turn. But yet there is always some jackass in a giant turbo diesel truck that won't let me do that. If I pull out a bit, they have to pull up right beside me so I can't see left until I am practically already in the intersection. I think  90% of pickup truck drivers any way are assholes. Not saying all pickup truck drivers are assholes, just that a lot of assholes happen to drive pickups.

+5 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

+1 for Eclipse. Just bought one.

This.  Any car that is not trying to turn right on red needs to be behind the white stop bar so people trying to turn right on red can see through the intersection.  The fact that it's a truck or SUV with a huge front end makes it even worse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jugdish's picture

I agree so much with this. The state needs to put in white lines to stop the traffic in left lane further back than the right. 

Remember to get your wolverine spayed or neutered. TBDBITL

ElGato69's picture

I can't believe nobody has yet hit on the topic of cars in left turn lanes.  How is it that people leave more room between them and the car in front of them when making left turns (while they have the right of way, courtesy of the left turn light, mind you) than when travelling down the highway at 65+MPH?  I swear that people not getting motivated to go when granted the opportunity creates a good third of traffic backup in such situations!

KingsRite's picture

I absolutely despise Pack driving or Drafting on the open highway.

The Urban Legend's picture

Somewhat off topic but Is it called a roundabout or a traffic circle?

The Legend continues

DCNick's picture

I think it's a traffic circle in the US and a roundabout in Europe.

Earle's picture

Some places they call them rotaries.

DCNick's picture

Driving does suck. My wife uses the car and I only drive on the weekends. I bike or take Metro to work. It feels great to work 11 miles of biking into my daily routine and it doesn't actually add any time. Now I'm looking at a job that may requires a "vehicle". I'll probably just end up getting an electric assist bike since I may ride 30-40 miles per day and it's still free to park on the sidewalk, unlike a car or scooter. There is no way I want to sit in DC traffic. Also, cars cost like $12,000 per year on average. It's way cheaper to buy a fancy cargo bike like an ExtraCycle Edgerunner.

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Jeremy, as Ray Lews says, "I feel ya, man." I share all of your pet peeves.

I did think, when I clicked onto this topic, that it was going to be about golf . . . about how you keep hooking/slicing your driver off the tee into the woods or OB. That's almost as annoying as driving on a busy road or highway, except when you have bad driving experience in golf, you can just take a mulligan.

jeremytwoface's picture

Well I do that as well...

But vehicle driving is much more aggravating to me than golf driving. A lot less relaxing too.....

BuckeyeLurker0509's picture

I moved to NYC so I would never have to drive again. Also, because it's the greatest city on earth.

The Rill Dill's picture

If you like pavement, it is a great city.  I like something under my feet, other than pavement, whenever possible.  

+1 HS
bleedscarletpissmaize's picture

I like a nice Burberry rug under my feet.

Floyd Stahl's picture

I hate it when I am driving and someone at a red light or stop sign makes a crazy and fast right turn to get in front of me, and then suddenly slows down and drives very carefully. If you're going to turn quickly and even in a little crazy manner, at least continue to drive quickly. If not, just wait and make the turn afterwards.

whiskeyjuice's picture

I HATE *ICHIGAN!!!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

-1 HS
exnwohiobuckfan's picture

This thread reminds me why I love the fact that I live at the apartment complex where I work. We have a full gym, and two pools on site, as well as a shopping center next door. I am almost never in my car more than 10 minutes at a time.

coloradobuckeye's picture

Used to live in the state up north... Worst tailgaters ever.  Here in Colorado things are getting scary since recreational pot was legalized... Now we have drunk and high drivers in abundance.

Let your hobbies and interests supplement your life, not be the main course.

+1 HS
Brutus1972's picture

A driving thread with no Punxsutawney Phil at the wheel? What has 11W come to?

Buckeye Knight's picture

My commute home today starts off like this:

1. Dumb bitch in the work parking lot decides to stop where she has no stop sign, but I do have a stop sign. So I wait for her to turn in front of me, and wait, and wait, and we now miss the green light right as it turns red.

2. Old lady driving 25 mph in a 35 zone, we catch the light just as it turns red.

3. Some guy driving 35 mph in a 55, we catch the light just as it turns red.

4. Once again I was lucky enough to avoid a lady switching lanes at the last second and trying to run me off the road. This happens to me almost every single day.

I cannot stand driving in Westerville.

Buckeye Knight's picture

I went to Virginia Beach awhile ago and it was the oddest thing. Most of the cars drove slow in the passing lane and most people passed on the right. I've never seen such a high percentage of drivers doing this anywhere else in my life.

airbuckeye's picture

The thing that pisses me off the most is when someone gets right on my ass almost bumper to bumper that set's me off. And when they do i make them pay for because ill slow WTF down just to piss them off. When they try to paass me i speed up so they can't till they have no choice but to fall behind or get hit head on. Ill do that for mile's untill they get the message and back off even if i have to go out off my way past where i was going to turn.

I did that about 4 years ago comming back from Pittsburgh to a semi driver that damn near clipped the front off my car when he cut in front of me about 30 mile's East of Zanesville . I got back in front of him and right beside another semi and stayed there for i think at least 8 mile's. I know he was back there calling me every name in the book and then some.

Buckeye Knight's picture

I think for me the one defining habit of central Ohio drivers is that they fluctuate their speed so much on the open highway. I swear about half of them drive 55 mph one second, then 80 mph the next, then drop back down to 60, then up to 75, etc. Just use cruise control or keep your right foot still.

jeremytwoface's picture

In honor of the first snow of the year, I've decided to bring this thread back from the dead.....

In short, I still hate everything that I've mentioned in here but today, I REALLY hate how people can't park when it snows. There are half car gaps because people cant just park right next to the person who just parked.

brandonbauer87's picture

I'm all for putting a halt to thread redundancy, but a new one here would be ok. You know how long it takes to load a 196 comment thread on my phone?

jeremytwoface's picture

Ha sorry... I actually thought it was fun to go back and read some of this stuff.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

psht, how about a gif laden commit thread? Now THAT takes forever.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+1 HS
d1145fresh's picture

Stay safe out there.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Searching "Ice Road Car Crashes" on Youtube will return hours of entertainment. +1

Buckeye Knight's picture

Working from home today b/c the kids' school is closed.  Don't have to deal with the morons on the road!