Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

American aid worker stricken with Ebola lands in U.S. for treatment

airbuckeye's picture
August 2, 2014 at 1:11pm
15 Comments

I was just wondering how everyone els feels about this one since their is no known cure for this virus and over 70% of those who come down with it die from it?

JohnnyKozmo's picture

He's got a better shot here at making it than over there.  Since it's not airborne, it's not too concerning to me, but all I can think about is the movie Outbreak, where the strain mutates and becomes airborne.  Ebola is no joke at all.  I actually thought the mortality rate was higher than 70%.

+6 HS
southbay's picture

Or The Andromeda Strain. The original version from the early 70s. I didn't like the remake from about five years ago.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Except for the part where Ebola isn't an extraterrestrial organism.

+1 HS
southbay's picture

You're probably right, but it might as well be...+1

+1 HS
cplunk's picture

Although Ebola does not meet the technical definition of airborne, experiments have proven it can in fact be transferred via airborne droplets. That's a fancy way of saying it is airborne, but can't go as far in the air from person to person (and the disease dies more quickly in a droplet than if it were truly airborne).

Dont have a link handy, but google "Ebola airborne" and I'm sure the experiments will come up.

Scary stuff. 

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Thanks for the clarification.   I remember I read a book that was fiction, but it was fact based, about an outbreak of Ebola on the East Coast.  I can't remember the title for the life of me, but I remember it started with a guy on a plane, and he had filled his airsickness bag up with blood.  Pretty good book-and definitely opened my eyes up to Ebola-Yikes.

southbay's picture

Might have been The Hot Zone. 

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

YES!!!! Thank you.  What a relief.  I hate that feeling of not being able to remember something small like that.  

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Just read that the Doctor who is infected walked into the wing of the hospital for treatment in Atlanta.

Now that's pretty Boss.  Not only does he tell them to give the experimental serum to the other lady who is infected, but he walks in while infected with EBOLA???!!!  Who is this guy??  Batman? Chuck Norris?  Nick Bosa?

All kidding aside, because it is a serious situation for him, it's great to hear and hopefully he can make a full recovery.

cjmgobucks's picture

So far today I've had to read about the undrinkable water supply in Toledo and "airborne" Ebola...both here on Eleven Warriors.... When does football season start again?!!?!?!?!

"When I look in the mirror, I want to take a swing at me."
Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Well let's see... If the world ends tomorrow... umm, never.

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

Whats freaky to me is that proffesor in Texas part of some high society talking about population control and how the plan is for an airborne Ebola that will kill 90% of the population.  Freaky stuff.

+1 HS
southbay's picture

....because after all, too many people are bad for the environment, right?  I would use a different word to describe that sort of thinking.

TheBadOwl's picture

Life is a lot more enjoyable if you realize that there's always one weird professor somewhere who says batshit crazy conspiracy stuff, and that it's really never anything to worry about.

In the case of ebola, I'm not a doctor by any means, but from what I've read, it's actually not very contagious. While it is very deadly, it's pretty difficult to transmit unless you are exchanging bodily fluids with the person infected.

It's not like they're flying this patient back on a commercial airliner, either. They're likely in quarantine, and adding that precaution to an already hard-to-transmit disease, and I don't think this is anything for anybody to worry about. Really, it's just a way to get this person better medical treatment.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
cplunk's picture

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ebola-terror-gatwick-passenger-coll...

Not that this is the most reputable source in the word, but it appears Ebola may now be in the UK. Hopefully no other passengers caught it.