Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

If you live in Toledo area, DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!!!

buckeyedude's picture
August 2, 2014 at 9:01am
76 Comments

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/08/02/City-of-Toledo-issues-do-no-...

This is a major story here in the Toledo area and evidently the algae blooms in western Lake Erie has contaminated the entire Toledo area water supply. Fights are already breaking out in stores as Kroger's/ Walmart/Meijer run out of bottled water. Boiling the water makes it worse and can cause liver damage and a rash if you shower in it.

buckeyedude's picture

All restaurants in the Toledo area are closed. That includes coffee shops. You cannot even do laundry or wash dishes. Amazing.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Been through this in January here in West Virginia after the Freedom Industries/MCHM spill. 

As far as the fighting goes, it never seems to take much to get people behaving badly.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+3 HS
KingsRite's picture

The typical cause of algae bloom is chemicals in the water from farming or industry. Grand Lake St. Marys and Buckeye Lake have had a horrible time with it. Western Basin of Lake Erie is prime because it is so shallow and gets less wind. It more inlikely came from rivers/creeks runoff and industry drainage.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+4 HS
buckeyedude's picture

You're right Kingsrite, but what I don't understand is, is this has been one of the coolest summers on record, right after the coldest winter on record in Toledo. One usually associates these algae blooms with hot weather. It doesn't make any sense.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Intentional foreign espionage. See how a city reacts.  Hmmm.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

I can't believe the maumee river would be contaminated ............ 

If you will it dude, it is no dream

+5 HS
robobuck's picture

We seem to have a lot in common. Your avatar is a beer from my favorite brewery and your quote is from one of my favorite movies, and you're a buckeye! Shoot. At least the maumee hasn't.ever caught fire. Lookin at you Cuyahoga.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

toad1204's picture

Main problem with St Mary's is the lack of water turnover.  Indian Lake turns over at a far greater pace but because St Mary's is man made and close to where the water runs north or south the water is far more stagnate. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Buck Commander's picture

You are right Toad....One end of the lake @St.Marys spillway is 8 inches lower than the other end, fishing is great there Oct. To May! Till it turns Mountain Dew Green.

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

Is it too late to give that city back to *ichigan?

Still not giving a damn for the whole state of Michigan. 

+16 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Damn, DaytonBuck! Talk about kicking a guy when he's down! LOL. I didn't DV you. Thought it was funny, actually.

+5 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

My bad Dude. It's not like Dayton is any better from a city stand point. I feel for your situation. I'm just sketchy of Toledo as it seems to be at least 50% scUM fans. And it seems like the city and businesses embrace that fact. 

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I'm going to be 50 in September, and I've NEVER seen anything like this in my life. We're talking about 500,000 people in the Toledo area without water. Surrounding communities are already running out from people of the Toledo area buying it up. I may have to go to Fort Wayne, Indiana to load up my trunk. I refuse to go to TSUN for water.

+11 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Are there any programs that are offering assistance? Like literally sending truckloads of water to a community center or church or something?

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

From what I'm hearing on radio and TV, I guess the major stores like Walmart/Costco/Meijer etc. are reverting trucks from other areas of the country to Toledo. When they get here is anyone's guess.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

I would imagine the large beverage companies (Coke, Pepsi) will be sending trucks of water.  I work for Coke and we sent whole trailers of water out to the coastal areas that were impacted the most during Hurricane Sandy.

Byaaaahhh's picture

Gotcha. Now that I think about it, the Budweiser plant in Columbus regularly cans water to send out. Wouldn't be surprised if they shipped a bunch up there.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Now that I think about it, the Budweiser plant in Columbus regularly cans water to send out. 

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Make. Comment.

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+1 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

I lived the first 18 years of my life without running water.  Outdoor-toilets and either hauling drinking water, or fetching it out of the creek or pond out back.  All of the wells we dug were contaminated due to all the mining that went on around us.  Finally got city water ran through our county on my 18th birthday.  My Grandmother still has the first quart of water that ever ran from that tap in a mason jar in her basement.

Take a day trip and come down here to hills.. We'll show you how it's done.  

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+6 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I lived the first 18 years of my life without running water.

Seriously? Where exactly is Vinton County, VintonCountyBuck?

+1 HS

We are a tiny community in Southeastern Ohio.  Close to Chillicothe, Athens, Logan, Lancaster, Gallipolis.  Yet not home to any of them.  Small-town living at its finest.  Great place for motorcycle-enthusiasts to ride, with all the twists and turns on our rural roadways.

However, In September we do become home to the Largest Free Air-Show in Ohio

I always tell everyone I know: The best part of living in Vinton County was that we were only an hour from everything.. But the problem with living in Vinton County was, that we were an hour from everything!  haha

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+4 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I've camped in Hocking Hills, and that is beautiful country, for sure.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I graduated from Ohio University in Athens, so I was right by Vinton County, and some of my classmates were from Vinton County. Beautiful country.

+3 HS

Fellow Bobcat also.  Class of 98

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Nice. I graduated in 97. Great time of my life. I loved O.U. Lots of good memories.

+1 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

Wait... You graduated in '98 and still used an outhouse for 18 years?!?! Wow I didn't even think West Virginia had places like that still. 

+1 HS

From college in '98.  High School in '94.  First place I was ever allowed to drive on my own was to the water company in order to fill up our tanks and water jugs.

Funny that you mention West Virginia, because I think this part of Ohio has alot in common with West Virginia.  More so than we do most people in Columbus and North.  

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

.........and you are a suburb of Wellston!!  LOL

Most heavily wooded, least populated county in the state. (Vinton County)

+2 HS

Haha. Rill..International Blogger Man of Mystery.

Those are fightin words to some of us around here. ;)

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I knew that'd get a rise out of you!!  I'm in Pickaway County, now.  Sold our farm in Wellston in 2008.  I was there from 1992 to 2008.  Born and raised in Hilliard, though.  I still bowhunt and turkey hunt in Jackson and Vinton County (s).  

+2 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

I've been to vinton boar hunting at private reserve type place.......it was a joke you could pet the dam things lol

+3 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Double D Ranch, I presume?

GreatLakesBeer's picture

No i've heard good things about double D this was southern ohio extreme or exotic something like that. It was near McArthur i believe.

+1 HS

Probably the place on Goose Creek Road near Hocking County. Southern Ohio Maximum Hunting Preserve.  I believe.. Yeah don't go there.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I grew up in what is now the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.  Had well water for the first 13 or 14 years until they ran a water line out by the road, and my dad dug a trench and self tapped it.  I feel ya.

Go Bucks!

NorthwestOhioBuck's picture

Living an hour and a half from Toledo really shows the panic going on there. Local WalMart is almost sold out of water and we are an hour and a half away! Crazy.

In Urban we trust. That is all

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Where are you at, NWOhioBuck? I was thinking about driving to Defiance, Oh., or points further.

GreatLakesBeer's picture

Whats BG like i live an hour from toledo no problems here

buckeyedude's picture

Bowling Green is OK. They're just outside of the Toledo water grid. But, their stores are out of bottled water, as well, so I've heard.

bleedscarlet's picture

I live in Delta, approximately 25 miles west of Toledo and all the stores are out even to the west of us. They were breaking down the cases and would only sell it per bottle. From what I'm hearing some gas stations were selling cases for over $20 :(

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

some gas stations were selling cases for over $20 

That's disgusting.  

+8 HS
ShoeHolder's picture

That's illegal - in ohio at least. Some states don't have laws against price gouging, others cap the % increase that a merchant can use while selling goods during an emergency. 

edit - there is technically no law forbidding price gouging in Ohio per se, there is a law forbidding "unconscionable sales practices" - which can be interpreted pretty liberally. 

"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the Earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

+2 HS
BleedSnG's picture

That pisses me off if they are breaking down the cases and the gas stations selling cases for 20$.  Instead of helping your fellow American out they are trying to make a quick buck.  Sickening 

+3 HS
J.Mo's picture

Supply and demand... America is the land of capitalism. Raising the price on limited supply but excessive demand is American.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Not in this case.  Its price gouging, which isn't illegal in ohio, but unconscionable sales practices are.  I'd seriously take pictures of the items and the station and call local news.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+9 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I hope that people REFUSE to support these places in the future.

+2 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Probably them Fuckin India Owners!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

-6 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

This is "black helicopter thinking by me." But can you imagine if we had an emp (electromagnetic pulse) attack over a major city like Chicago or New York. It would shut down all computers and electronics including the power grid. Can you imagine how our citizens would react to something like this? We would turn into Lord of the Flies. Hoping Toledo can get through this okay.

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Honestly, life after would bear no similarities to what we know today. Not to be controversial here, but thinking about what happens in times like this, I realize I don't buy the train of thought that people are good inside. A person might be good, but people are evil. 

+3 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I'm with you man. Not to be overly controversial or religious but it is only by God's grace that we do love our neighbors as ourselves. Really hope the Toledo people can work together and get through this okay. 

+3 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

These people hiking up the prices of water to make a quick buck off the desperation of others are despicable.

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

The people of the city of Toledo are generally blue collar folk and can survive a lot, but it's just idiots like the people at the Sam's Club here this morning that got in fistfights, that make it worse.

This is getting worse than Black Friday shopping, for Pete's sake!

Habu71's picture

Thoughts and prayers out to 11W family in that area. Hoping you can avoid all the collateral difficulty associated with this. Trusting that all will be restored soon, in the mean time be strong and safe. 

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I was just contacted by a relative that actually had to drive north of Detroit to find bottled water in a store. Wow.

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

A city source said that police are on high alert and swat teams are ready if needed to quell any riots that break out over water. Sheesh.

Police were reported to be in stores too, where residents were trying to hoard water. Fwiw the story was linked on Drudge, so the story is going national. Not a good way for Toledo to make the headlines.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

On a lighter note: I don't always drink contaminated water from the City of Toledo water system, but when I do, it gives me the shit-skis, so I prefer Dos Equis.

**enter appropriate Dos Equis gif**

+3 HS
BROSEPH's picture

You can't boil the water and make it safe either, it actually makes it worse.  

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

F$^k it. I guess I'll just drink beer all day and pretend the Buckeyes are playing...

+6 HS

One thought here though..  I am not a scientist by any means, and I know that boiling the water will make the water itself worse.  But what if you did not drink the water, rather the condensation from it?  

Something along the lines of placing a lid on to your pot of boiling water at such an angle that all of the condensation that evaporates and has accumulated and ran down the lid into either a bowl or another pan.  I imagine It will take quite an effort and some time, but the evaporation process should sanitize the water vapor. 

I may be wrong..but seems like we've used this method in the past.. Just not with this type of algae.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I am not a scientist by any means, and I know that boiling the water will make the water itself worse.  But what if you did not drink the water, rather the condensation from it?  

I thought of that as well; that is distilled water, and the experts are advising against that because they are not sure whether the microorganism can survive the distillation process, yet.

In other news, Governor Kasich just issued a State of Emergency for the Toledo area.

Also, just heard many of the high schools are canceling their football practices. Many of them were to start two-a-days today.

+1 HS
The Butler's picture

F$^k it. I guess I'll just drink beer all day and pretend the Buckeyes are playing...

Best idea yet!

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+3 HS
sharks's picture

National Wildlife Federation spokesman quoted on cleveland.com saying fertilizer and manure runoff the likely causes

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
OH_IO's picture

I've been all around NWO today trying to find just one palette of water that I can split with my elderly next door neighbors. A lot of stores are in complete states chaos. I'm heading up north in to Michigan now to search.

Good luck my fellow Toledo people.  

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Kasich declared a state of emergency and is calling in the National Guard to help supply water.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

People make fun of those doomsday preppers but it might be wise to have some spare jugs of water to last a few weeks in case something like this happens.

+5 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Absolutely.  There is definitely some middle ground between building nuclear bomb shelters, and not preparing at all.

I live on the east coast, so Hurricanes are always a possibility.  I always make sure to have a few cases of water in the garage.

I work for a very large beverage company, and I can tell you from experiencing the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, us and our competitors will all be sending extra loads of water to Toledo and the surrounding areas, as the stores have a much more difficult time in adjusting to a situation like this with their own brands of water in terms of getting back in stock.

+3 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

There are some good companies that help with food storage in case of an interruption of the food supply. Mountain House is one I can think of, off the top of my head. I guess it lasts for 25 years! Having a water filter would be nice too, but not sure if it would work with this algae thing.  Let's just hope nothing serious happens to us. I remember helping distribute food during the Katrina hurricane and also in Joplin, MO from the tornado. The devastation was unbelievable. I wonder how those communities are doing now.

+2 HS
robobuck's picture

A charcoal or similar type of filter like the one Use in camping filter pumps should be fibe in filtering out any microorganisms. Katadyne makes a great one you can hang and it filters by gravity. Can do like 5 gal an hour I believe. We used it to filter water on pack trips thru the Rockies when I worked on a ranch in Canada. Never got the runs!

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Thanks Robo. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best:)

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

We have some family in town here in Cbus from Toledo. I just helped them load up vehicles with cases and cases of water from Home Depot, $3 a case there.

+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I haven't been able to drink the water here in SW Florida for 20 years...so I'm used to that. Not being able to shower though - that's a whole other thing. Hope Toledo gets through this & soon. Sounds like a rough situation.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
Codeezy's picture

Yeah this sucks. I'm working at my family's bar on the east side of Toledo and I live right up the street. 

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Boiling the water makes it worse and can cause liver damage and a rash if you shower in it.

Holy hell...

I'd be taking an impromptu vacation somewhere. 

Class of 2010.

Crumb's picture

Must be from being so close to Ann Arbor. But I can't say much about contaminated water since I live close to the lovely Ohio, although I blame it's pollution on the fact that it starts in Pittsburgh. Best of luck fellow Buckeyes and I-75ers.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War