Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Lewan Interrogation

Urban Nation Army's picture
July 28, 2014 at 2:52pm
24 Comments

A video of the Taylor Lewan interview somehow made it to YouTube. This is him talking to a detective after AA police started to take the case seriously. Nothing stands out too much, he has the cover his ass attitude and statements you would expect. But he delivers an interesting quote at the 19:03 mark... "I'm not much of a thug, a kick a guy while he's down kinda guy."

Right. Vicious neck twisting is more his style...

not attacking a guy while he's down

My impression of Lewan is a sadly morally depraved individual. But I don't expect him to be punished with more than a slap on the wrist and paying the plaintiff(s) medical/legal costs, if that. God knows Ray Rice got next to nothing, with way more evidence.

The video:

Hovenaut's picture

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+5 HS
sharks's picture

Garden variety meathead.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Whoa, don't sully the name of meatheads

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Sharks, you owe Rob Reiner an apology!

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

LOL showing up decked out in his "M" letter jacket and hat.

+4 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Where's Leroy Jethro Gibbs when you need him?

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+4 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

too busy protecting the nation like Jack Bauer

OSUStu's picture

27 mins of Taylor Lewan talking?  I am sure I don't have the patience.  

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
M Man's picture

The charges are all misdemeanors.  The chance of any jail time is just about zero.  Unfortunately, with the charges being all misdemeanors (first offense, no priors, etc.) the chance of a plea bargain in which three charges are reduced to one, is greater than if the charge were a felony.

As a misdemeanor, this gets tried in 15th District Court instead of Washtenaw County Circuit Court.  I am not in the 15th very much, so I don't know if the jury pool is strictly City of Ann Arbor or if it is all of Washtenaw County.  I think it is the former.  Just City of Ann Arbor.  And I have to think that's better for Lewan.  Not for the reason you think (home-fan football worship); but rather because the City of Ann Arbor features an interesting sort of jury pool.

The other thing is that this misdemeanor trial is not about (save for any "restitution") the alleged victim's damages.  And that's the other big thing; the million-dollar civil lawsuit coming Lewan's way.  (Boy, is Lewan lucky he didn't get drafted by the Browns or the Bengals!  Not a good time to be establishing Ohio domicile for any venue purposes!)  If Lewan pleads guilty in the criminal case, it is admissible in the civil case.  And Lewan might as well just write a check to the doofus from Columbus who was trashtalking his way down State Street, as take that case to trial.

So that fact encourages Lewan to go to trial.  The worst case scenario is a guilty verdict which would mean (at worst) about 21 days in the Washtenaw County Jail, a year of probation, costs, etc.  More likely is community service and probation.

Any time there is a bar fight with four or five guys who were all drunk, the chances of a criminal conviction of just one of them is pretty slim.  Surveillance video might do it, but the video in this case proves nothing.

I say the chances of a Lewan acquittal by the end of October are about 85%.

-3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

So you honestly don't think a Jury plucked strictly from Ann Arbor residents would provide any home cooking to a local hero?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

M Man's picture

They might, but that's not the big thing.  In the City of Ann Arbor, the ratio of Michigan football fans to Birkenstock-wearing lab technicians who have never seen a game is about 1:1.  I have slightly more interest in the number of Ann Arbor residents who have had their own misfortunes at the hands of local police and prosecutors. Remember it only takes a holdout or two to hang a criminal jury.

There is a phenomenon in jury trials, where parties or witnesses who are celebrities on television get inordinate deference from the members of the jury.

I observed a medical malpractice trial in Detroit some years ago.  The plaintiff's case was meritless, on the pure medical issues.  The case involved a local tv sportscaster (well known to everybody) who had a knee operation that went bad.  The plaintiff attorney had a medical expert, who was a quack, and the defense had a handful of experts who were all chiefs of their orthopedics sections at the best academic institutions in the nation.

In addition to the medical experts, the plaintiff attorney called as witnesses a handful of the sportscaster's friends -- a couple of Detroit Pistons, a former Detroit Tiger, and somebody from the Lions -- for the largely irrelevant point that since the surgery, the sportscaster no longer hung out with them late at night in bars and restaurants where he used to do a lot of his talking with them.  The jury loved them.  They gave the sportscaster a huge (for that time) verdict. 

-4 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

Katzfan's picture

I enjoyed the 5:50 mark where he's pleading to the investigating officer about "the world he lives in" when referring to the rivalries against "Ohio, Michigan State, and Notre Dame teams"...and then a pause and he says, "You know what I'm talking about, you went to Michigan right?"  The cop kind of gave pause and then murmured "yeah"....

Taylor trying to get the cops on his side right away there... LOL  I'm sorry, but listening to Lewan, he is a typical immature punk.  Every football team has them so scUM is not exclusive but this guy is definitely one of them... 

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got nine guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time." -- Urban Frank Meyer  -- I LOVE THIS DUDE!! :)

+2 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

Ok.  First of all, I haven't read any comments, so sorry if this has been dissected already, but come on...who actually thinks he has to spell the name "Bennett" to a cop?  Lewan had friends in from everywhere, and his brother had already had a scuffle with Ohio State fans.

Now, I ask you, is it too far a leap to think that the special event was going to always BE Taylor Lewan beating the crap out of some poor kid from Ohio?  Not a football player, mind you.  No, not a big bad defensive lineman or a mean old linebacker, no sireee bob...Mr Lewan was gonna find a skinny drunk kid from the south end of Padooka, Ohio with which to get his frustration out on, because he never could have his way with the players.

They always kicked his ass.

I could be bonkers, and certainly am, but is it too much to believe that Lewan, being just a mean bully who had been bullied by his betters...had to exact a measure of revenge off the field when he couldn't do it on the field?

Oh yeah.  I made up "Padooka".

Methinks me strokes my beard.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

God, when he talks you can sense he actually thinks everyone is as dumb as he is.  Sad or hilarious, this guy is the poster child of the state of Michigan football here in the 21st century.

Must be Rich Rod's fault too....

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I think he has created this media distraction to try and hide that he went 1-3 vs OSU.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Just remember that Failure is all he has ever known at Michigan

+3 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

Don't worry guys. This "Michigan Man" will walk away with little more than a slap on the wrist because even when "Michigan Men" commit felonies they are immune to criticism or any real punishment.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+4 HS
M Man's picture

I know of one case.  Glenville's own Frank Clark.  Clark was charged with a felony home invasion because of the value of the laptop he snatched from a dorm acquaintance.  There was seemingly no room to knock it down to a misdemeanor simply because of the value of the item involved.  It may have been better, actually, for Clark to have gone the felony-case route, because he qualified for the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act under Michigan law.  Essentially, Clark avoided a conviction (he has a clean record right now, as you read this) by complying with the yearlong+ terms of the Act.  It was because Clark (a) had a clean record with no priors, (b) kept himself straight and with a clean record ever since and (c) complied with all other terms of the act, which are not inconsiderable.  Frank Clark has been a "zero" discipline problem on and off the field for the last three years.

Now I am trying to think of any other "felons."  I know there must be a few.  There's the sad but ultimately inspiring story of Billy Taylor, most of which occurs in his home state of Ohio.  There's the laughable story of Will Campbell having been charged (charge later dismissed) with felony destruction of property for the time when he (I am not kidding) tried a Dukes of Hazzard slide across the hood of a parked car.  330-pound guys take note; do not attempt.  There's the one bizarre and alarming story from ten years ago, of defensive lineman Larry Harrison who, after being dismissed from the Michigan team and having transferred to North Carolina A&T, was found guilty in Ann Arbor of both misdemeanor and felony indecency charges (exposure, public masturbation) stemming from the incidents that caused his departure.

That's four players out of about 800 in this generation of Michigan football; 0.5 %.  Every one of them got punished, and every one got criticized.  Fortunately, their cases are extremely rare.

-1 HS
Urban Nation Army's picture

Not really sure why the "Glenville's own" was necessary.

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

+1 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

Because all Glenville players are thugs, duh!

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Me neither; borderline red-herring.  Still, Frank Clark left Glenville a child and is now an indisputable, dyed-in-the-wool Michigan Man.  And is judged as such.

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

CGroverL, is that really you?