Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Sober fail/Drunk win -- Steak

sox33osu's picture
July 18, 2014 at 12:22am
19 Comments

So it's been an incredibly long week this week. I've been waiting to hear back on a job I interviewed for that would potentially move me to Houston, and I've been working on several new accounts on top of that for work. I decided to go out for some Newcastles tonight. I came back home and entirely forgot I had 3 t-bone steaks in my fridge that I had intended to grill tonight. I can't decide if I'm happy about this or not, but I decided to prepare all 3 on my stovetop in a stainless steel pan rather than coming home and firing up the grill for just myself. They taste fantastic, and are well-seasoned, but would undoubtedly be better if they were on the grill. Can't decide if this is more of a sober fail or drunk win. Thoughts?

buckskin's picture

For the love of god, off season end now.

+6 HS
sox33osu's picture

Dude, this is the "anything else" forum. There is no off-season. If you only want to talk football, you should just go to the football forum. 

+1 HS
NW Buckeye's picture

Blasphemy - you are never too tired or too drunk to fire up the grill for some T-bones.  Very much a fail....

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Blasphemy - you are never too tired or too drunk to fire up the grill for some T-bones.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

No excuse for not firing a gas grill up in beautiful weather. Less dishes and cleanup, and taste is unrivaled. If charcoal grill its a win,if gas big time drunken fail.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Seattle Linga's picture

Alcohol and a gas grill could end horribly or even on the front page of the internet.

Remy's picture
Drunk Grilling

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+5 HS
Oyster's picture

Hank Hill says you don't know what you are talking about.

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

While I never hesitate to fire up the grill, the more I watch competitive cooking shows (Hells Kitchen, Master Chef, etc.), has made me try cooking steaks in a cast iron pan a little more often.  Reason is, the steaks stay very moist, since the juices are contained in the pan, and don't drip off.  I've also started to put a dollop or 2 of honey butter on the steak when it's finished cooking, and let it melt over top of it.  The sweetness of the butter, company with the pepper in the steak seasoning is a good combination.

BuckNKY's picture

Crack open your favorite brew.

Place cast iron pan on the grill to get rippin' hot (technical term).  Sear steaks 2 min per side in the pan.  Remove steaks from the pan and place on the grill to finish according to your preferred doneness.

Don't drain the pan.  Add diced shallots and garlic for 30 seconds.  Then add 8 oz chopped shitake and 8 oz baby portobello mushrooms.  Saute.  At very end, add dry red wine and allow to reduce.  

Let steaks rest for 5-10 mins.  Crack open more favorite brews.  Enjoy.

+4 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

You people are making me hungry.  It's 8:12 am and I just got to work.  :(

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

I'm getting thirsty myself.  Thankfully the Ruckmore is open and it is always noon somewhere, regardless of what Unky will try to claim.

Seattle Linga's picture

It's never too early to grill up a nice steak - next time bring the little hibachi to work and crank her up in the parking lot.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

They actually have a little picnic area with a charcoal grill outside my building...  but I arrived at work without charcoal and without steak so...  ugh it's only 10:00????

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

There's always next week 

hodge's picture

There's nothing wrong with cooking a steak in a pan - in fact, by some metrics, you can make a better steak there than you can on the grill. Granted, you lose that smoky flavor the grill (you're using charcoal, right?), but it still makes a damned tasty steak.  

If I'm grilling a thick steak like a T-bone -- which I've been doing a lot since I bought my Weber --  I'll always make a two-zone charcoal fire, chuck a piece of cherry wood on the coals, put the steak on the cool side of the grill, and let it come up to about 10 degrees below temp (about 115 degrees for me), then chuck it onto the hot side while basting the hell out of it to build up a good crust (grill marks are so overrated).

I've been thinking about trying to cold-smoke steaks on my grill to infuse them with smoke, and then cooking them on a stovetop for maximum crust (or using some of the cold-smoked raw beef for tartare) -- indulgent, yes, but damned tasty.

osu07asu10's picture

Hodge, always direct heat for a steak!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

Fogt13's picture

Drunk win

Go Buckeyes! Go Bengals! Go Reds!
My true love will always be Rosie

+1 HS
mmounts's picture

Whelp my Friday night has now been filled. Steak & Beer....lets be honest it's been filled for a while.