Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

The Matrix

MordenoftheSith's picture
July 17, 2014 at 8:44am
35 Comments

The Matrix has quietly reached the 15 year mark this year.  There wasn't a 15th Anniversary re-release or a new Blu-Ray combo pack as there are with many other significant anniversary editions.

It's hard to believe it's been 15 years since Neo took the Red Pill and stayed in Wonderland.

It's also amazing how far Special Effects technology jumped after it was released.

"Bullet Time" was revolutionary, much in the same way Star Wars revolutionized special effects when it came out 22 years prior.

I consider this film to be top 10 Sci-Fi of all-time and definitely a top 20 film period.  I just haven't slotted it yet, which I must work on.

It is extremely quotable, has amazing effects (even by the standards of today), and is just an overall excellent and mind-bending concept.

I have only ever met ONE person who said they were not a fan of the movie.  Of course, this person's second favorite movie of all-time is Wedding Crashers, so I shouldn't be shocked...  but I am </sigh>.

Oyster's picture

It's funny, I never would have taken you for being a Sci Fi fan.  You learn something new everyday I guess.

+10 HS

People are also amazed to find out I'm a Star Wars nerd!

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+4 HS
BierStube's picture

Since you like Star Wars .. this gif is for you.

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+9 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

Star Wars? no way. Are you sure its not Star Trek that you are a fan of?

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

You mean there's a difference???

(Disclaimer, since my sarcasm font didn't show up - I'm a big fan of both franchises.)

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

I think you just crossed the line in the eyes of 2 certain groups of people.  Been nice knowing you though.

+5 HS
BierStube's picture

I am sure Squirrel Master would be into this version ...

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+5 HS
GoBucks713's picture

It sounds like that person needs to hand in his man card, and formally donate his ball in the jar that's kept in his wife's purse to science. 

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I also don't like the movies and still haven't been able to watch one from start to finish. 

+3 HS
GoBucks713's picture
+21 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

I've been with my wife now for 3 years and she just found out in the past few days that I love Star Wars.  It's kind of one of those things you don't tell women.

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

I always try to avoid mentioning my affinity for strip clubs.  If you must keep secrets, that one is more important than movies.

+12 HS
yrro's picture

Seriously? Star wars is pretty mainstream.

Now, hiding your room full of collectibles and your Han Solo lunch box (complete with matching thermos) makes sense. But just saying you love the movies shouldn't take you out of the running...

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This was one of my favorite movies... I can basically recite the whole freaking thing which is kind of sad when I think about it.

It's hard to believe it was 15 years ago. I may have to dust it off and watch it again.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Every time I see that The Matrix is on, I remember how disappointing the sequels were. I usually turn the channel after that.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+7 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Yeah, for how good the first movie was, the sequels were real disappointments.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture
I don't know man, this was a really good fight scene

fight!

-The Aristocrats!

+4 HS
She made it bearable.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+7 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

First one was great, second was pretty okay (the highway scene was cool) and the third one was kinda garbage.

+2 HS
yrro's picture

I'm apparently the only person who really liked the second movie. It definitely improved on a second viewing - the first time I was mostly annoyed at how the special effects couldn't *quite* pull off what they were trying to do in slow motion.

The third one is a giant steaming pile, though. I think that how bad it was has really hurt the memory of the 2nd in people's eyes.

If you haven't seen it, the Animatrix is awesome, though.

+2 HS

The third one is a giant steaming pile, though.

I remember we waited until the lights came on in the theater to see if there was going to be something after the credits.

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

What if the real world wasn't really the real world, but another level of the matrix? Which would explain Neo's ability to control machines and Agent Smith being able to upload into Bane.

-The Aristocrats!

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+6 HS
Earle's picture

Holy Matrinception, Batman!

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
yrro's picture

I was so incredibly disappointed when that wasn't actually the plot of the third movie.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+6 HS
GoBucks713's picture
+2 HS
MassiveAttack's picture

I absolutely love The Matrix Trilogy! People hate on the sequels, but The Matrix Reloaded is really solid.  Not just the action, but the way the story is woven together. If you are any kind of software engineer or programmer, it's an amazing story when realize that everyone in the Matrix who is not a "battery" is a computer program. 

I do feel like Matrix Revolutions had several large missteps, the largest being having 50% of the screen time go to actors who were not the main characters.  It also didn't help that 4 years took place between #1 and #2, and 50% of all movies released in that time did some sort of Matrixy type of spoof.

I have owned every form of DVD and BluRay, including the Box Sets, The Animatrix books, and source literature that the actors read to prepare.  Lawrence Fishburne is one of my all time favorite actors, as well.  Got the action figure of him sitting in that chair with the phone, right on my office desk.

My memory and follow-up research indicates The Matrix was released March 31st, 1999.  I'm surprised you're bringing attention to the anniversary on July 17, 2014, but I always want to talk about The Matrix!

+2 HS
jedkat's picture

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+2 HS

One of my problems with it was how there was of it before it was released. Almost all of Reloaded's best scenes were shown so many times that they felt stale once I actually watched it at the movies.

And the whole thing with Trinity annoyed the heck out of me.

+1 HS

Because like many folks, it really didn't dawn on me that it has been 15 years.  There's no mention on the movie sites I go to or any other blogging sites.  I figured I would remind folks of the awesome power of The One... 15 years later.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+2 HS
sharks's picture

I didn't like the first one, never bothered with the sequels. I can't watch Keanu in any role except for Ted Theodore Logan.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+3 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

The Matrix reloaded was awesome, I get more excited to watch the second one than the 1st one.  To me the 3rd movie was worst than Jurassic park 3.  It was way to computerized, I understand they wanted to tell a story and have a fitting end but it was hard to watch it all the way to the end.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

All-time favorite movie.

+2 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

I'm a movie freak, but then I was born before the"I can't be bored for 2 seconds Generation"..

I love Sci-Fi, Westerns, Old Re-runs of TV Shows like Gunsmoke/Wagon Train/Rawhide, The Original Star Trek, Outer Limits, The TwiLight  Zone.

Love "The Godfather", "It's a Wonderful Life, The Natural, Feild of Dreams, The Outsiders, Jaws (1st one only), All the Right Moves, The Right Stuff, Lord of the Rings, Napolean Dynamite, Jerimiah Johnson, Outlaw Josey Wales Angel and the Badman, Rio Bravo Etc................................

Love John Wayne, Robert DiNero, Al Pacino, Bill Murray, Hervey Keitel, Robin Willians, Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Tommy Lee Jones, Johhny Dep, The Walking Dead, Vikings, Christofer Walken, Vin Diesel, Jackie Gleason in Smokie and the Bandit, Will Ferrell,, Samuel Jackson, Morgan Freeman, 

Anything on about WWII or Vietnam.

Hate Realty TV, no I mean I REALLY HATE REALITY TV. 

Next Rant I'll do the female acters,lol.

The Matrix was basically a movie about "Choice". Not being a/ or acting like aprogram or brain washed and acting like a computer program was the annomolly that Neo represented(sp?)

Lol, fire away. I gotta be me. Good Night Buckeye Nation!!

"The Past Builds the Future"

+2 HS