Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Ohio 8th worth state to live in?

DannyBeane's picture
July 15, 2014 at 4:14pm
118 Comments

I disagree with this article's points. I might be a little biased as a born and raised Ohioan but I think this is a great state to live. On plus side, we're still better than Michigan. https://homes.yahoo.com/photos/gallery-cnbc-s-worst-states-to-live-in-sl...

*edit* I want to know how California didn't make this list. Ridiculous cost of living, smog violence. Ridiculous. 

Show All Comments

BassDropper's picture

just saw this...seems to have a midwest bias. My personal top is

1.Michigan

2.South Dakota

3.North Dakota

4.Montana

5.Nebraska

6.West Virginia 

7.Alabama

8.Kentucky

9.Miss.

10.Maine

DIRECTIONER

-3 HS
GABuckeye's picture

Just curious if you've been to Montana or Maine?  I've been to Montana and, while nothing there, is one of the most beautiful places I've been to in the US.  I've also heard nothing but great things about vacationing in Maine.

+5 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

$3.20 a gallon for gas, you can do no wrong 

Bolt's picture

That's what I paid for gas in Columbus yesterday.

BassDropper's picture

I have not. But when I think about the states I would least want to live in Montana is one of them...middle of the country, farmland is not my cup of tea. I'll give you Maine, I was struggling to find #10, I've also heard great things about vacationing in Maine...not sure I would want to live in that area of the country though.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

Hell I'd live in Maine just for the cheap lobster. Lobster rolls would be my demise.

+8 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I've been to Montana ....Bozeman and over to Big Sky and Yellowstone ...absolutely breathtaking natural beauty ... I don't hunt/fish/camp/ski etc. but I thought the landscape was terrific to see ....seems like a very peaceful place to live

Yeti's have feelings too.

+7 HS
bedheadjc's picture

BD, is this a nice troll job about Montana being farmland? And middle of the country? It borders Canada and makes up a huge chunk of the Rockies! I realize over half the state DOES resemble the Dakotas;  the other half is literally a mountain paradise. The area just west of Red Lodge against the Beartooth and Absaroka ranges is utterly gorgeous. Truly God's Country (whichever deity you choose). The quality of life up there is superb, the population level is miniscule, and the people themselves are all frontier rancher archetypes, with a little granola thrown in for good measure. I'd move to the mountain side of Montana in a second.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Ok, you guys have convinced me...take Montana off the list. To my credit, I have a biased opinion about that part of the country like the author and many other have about Ohio and the midwest.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
robobuck's picture

Middle of the country eh?

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

BassDropper's picture

meant middle of nowhere

DIRECTIONER

robobuck's picture

that's one of its best qualities!

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+3 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Totally agree on Montana. I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what you like to do. Montana is a beautiful state and happens to be hands down the best in the lower 48 for fly fishing and I say that living in Colorado.

jpbuckeye's picture

Been to both and all I can say is : BEAUTIFUL.

+1 HS
jpbuckeye's picture

,,,and I live in St. Thomas USVI. There is beauty nearly every where you go; if you can see it.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I like ur attitude.

sox33osu's picture

Maine is one of the best states I've ever been to, and is one I will be traveling to throughout the rest of my life. The food is fantastic, the coloniol feel is very enjoyable, and the Bar Harbor area is just in general a really cool area. I'd highly reccommend.

TNbuckeye91's picture

Yeah sorry bass dropper. You've got to learn to appreciate that kind of stuff. Montana is fucking beautiful. You just don't understand.

I come from a long line high, low, and in-between, the same as you. - TVZ

+1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I couldn't help but notice the midwest bias as well. If you live in any of the coastal states, you're off the hook. I mean New Jersey must truly be an amazing state that everyone wants to live in right?

+3 HS
funtubs's picture

Besides the shore, the rest of Jersey is pretty shitty. Even some of the beaches are bad too

Earle's picture

If this is the best part of Jersey, I don't have much use for the rest of the state, either.

Have you tried Not Your Father's Root Beer?  It tastes just like the real thing, but it packs a punch (5.9%ABV).  It's a little sweet for me though.  Two is my limit.

+4 HS
funtubs's picture

As far as the shore, I meant the beaches and boardwalks. But yeah the TV show shows how New Jersey is in certain parts.

ITWASME's picture

I hate New Jersey with every inch of my being. I had to move there for a year and leave a ton of family and friends and I was depressed for a year. Then I moved back to Ohio but my dad still lives there because his job keeps giving him raises to stay so that he can't find as much money here. So yeah fuck Jersey.(I'm 16 by the way)

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

My top 5....

1. Michigan

2. Ann Arbor

3. East Lansing

4. Detroit

5. Michigan

And when we win the game, we'll buy a keg of boooooooooze!! And we'll drink to old Ohio 'till we wobble in our shoes.

+25 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

What a silly article. 

+2 HS
labuck's picture

Not sure how you can list CA as one of the worst states to reside.  Sure it costs a lot to live here (if in a highly desirable area) but there are some pretty amazing places to live in CA up and down the coast.  Also, the whole state is not covered in smog.  You must be thinking of just LA or something from a story you read a long time ago. Sure the smog is here but it isnt nearly as bad as it used to be.  I am pretty sure CA would be one of the best states to live in. 

+7 HS
DannyBeane's picture

Just like there are some amazing places to live in Ohio up by lake Erie, down by Hocking Hills and the Ohio River, and C-bus, Cincy and Cleveland? My point was comparing the negative things they said about Ohio to other states that didn't make the list. I imagine California is an amazing place to live if you make a lot of money. But if you make a lot of money you can be happy in any state.

+4 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

No offense Danny, but you should probably visit California before calling it out, visit Palm Springs, Santa Monica, San Diego, Orange County, Santa Barbara then get back to me.  All the gang violence and stuff you don't really see as the gangs have self-segregated themselves to the point where all you have to do is pass 2 exits on the highway to avoid the "hood".

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I think you forgot Marion, Danny. DJ is not pleased.

Fly Patterns's picture

While I'm not a fan of what the people (i.e., politicians) have gone and done with the California, there really isn't much of a debate about the natural beauty and diversity of California.  In one State you can see snow-capped mountains, deserts, hundreds of miles of beautiful coastline, wine country, sequoias, redwoods, rivers.  Just about everything you can imagine.  There is no other state like it, and if you can find a place there that is reasonably close to one of those things which suit your interests, I'd say it COULD be a great place to live.  Then you have to navigate cost of living and people.

I've lived in 5 States.  Of the five, Illinois was my least favorite.  And I lived right in downtown Chicago.  Other than Chicago, there's just not much to do IMO.

+6 HS
LABuckeye's picture

Agree completely. I was born in Ohio, raised in Ohio, lived there until I was 24 (then again, from 28-30). Moved around for awhile between states and countries. I have been here for ten years now, and I LOVE living in California. I could see living in a few other states as well, but can't imagine moving back to Ohio. Not that it is a bad state to live in or anything, as the cities are nice and clean, but I am a biologist and trail runner - someone whose life is tied to the outdoors, and I am completely happy here.

+1 HS
yrro's picture

Really, "California" is big enough it's hard to talk about as one entity. You couldn't pay me enough to live in LA, even with the beaches. But northern California is gorgeous.

And regardless there's going to be personal bias aplenty. Montana sounds awesome to me. Other people couldn't stand to be that rural.

ponder10's picture

Seriously, how could Ohio be worse than Mississippi? They just ratified the 13th amendment last year, nearly 150 years after it became a constitutional amendment.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+9 HS
The Butler's picture

People in Louisiana say "Thank God for Mississippi."

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

yrro's picture

My experience in Mississippi was that people were friendly, food was great, and the service was better than most places around here.

Then again, I'm white...

TNbuckeye91's picture

There are a lot of black people in Mississippi.I dont think you're gonna get treated any differently really.unless you're looking for that.

I come from a long line high, low, and in-between, the same as you. - TVZ

Buck my Nuts's picture

I think he was implying there is still a little racism there, lol

yrro's picture

I mostly just meant that my perspective on my experience was limited to "how a white person is treated in Mississippi." I make no comment because I have no knowledge on "how a black person is treated in Mississippi."

Rob Reese's picture

It's all on the methodology used, and in this case, the very narrow methodology.

Psshh, LeBron was in Miami for 4 years and hightailed it back to the great state of Ohio the first moment he could.    8-)

The Ohio State University class of 2009
Disciplina in civitatem
+3 HS
stechs02's picture

I was born, raised, lived, and continue to live in Ohio. It's going to take a lot more than some smug California liberal to change my opinion on the great state of O-H-I-O. This article can kiss my A$$! Go Bucks!

+4 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Yeah, I don't really see how other people's obesity has any effect on whether a state is a good place to live. 

+4 HS
DannyBeane's picture

If anything obesity means our state has an abundant wealth of resources.

+3 HS
jedkat's picture

Are you typing with a lisp?

"Can we please stop the message board fighting? I really can't stand the message board fighting..."

"No. You're an idiot, and your posts are terrible."

+7 HS
DannyBeane's picture

My fingers have a sthpeech impediment.

+3 HS
jedkat's picture

"Can we please stop the message board fighting? I really can't stand the message board fighting..."

"No. You're an idiot, and your posts are terrible."

kmp10's picture

I want to know how California didn't make this list. Ridiculous cost of living, smog violence. Ridiculous. 

Well, 320+ days of sunshine a year, zero humidity, the most gorgeous mountains you'll ever see and an ocean to play in. The cost of living isn't what's bad in SoCal, rather it's the cost of property that is "ridiculous". California is a great place to live. It has its issues like everyplace, but its benefits far outweigh its negatives, IMO. San Diego is the cleanest city I've ever been in. San Francisco is a cultural bastion. LA, altho big and dirty in many parts, is as fun a city to live in as exists anywhere in the country. 

+2 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I'll take back my comment about California.

Pages