Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

OSU\VT

BrewstersMillions's picture
July 13, 2014 at 10:11pm
32 Comments

So I will finally be making the journey back to the Shoe after 8 long years. Given its a night game and me and my group will be driving in from Illinois, we've all agreed to let Columbus be our tailgate and lets the fine cab companies of Columbus be our chariots. With that said, since its been near a decade-what should I do? The Thirsty Scholar was my absolute favorite haunt on campus so naturally a trip there will be required, but since it is an evening game, I will have a large part of the day to enjoy my second favorite place in the world. We'll be staying at the airport-near it anyway-so the cab ride won't be long. It has been so long since I've been to Columbus, I wouldn't know where to start. If we stayed away from Campus for a little while but made our way towards it as time went on, what places would you folks recommend? I'm really looking for a place or three between Port Columbus and the Shoe where we can kill some time, eat well, drink better while waiting for kickoff. I am open and appreciative of any suggestions. I am almost embarrassed to ask-is Hiney Gate still a thing? Is it worth it? Basically, for those of us that were at games from 2001-2005, how similar or dissimilar is campus today? A brother needs help.

Go!

Baroclinicity's picture

Logsdon Friday night at Adobe Gila's in Easton.  No brainer.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

-2 HS

Logsdon Friday?

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Chris Logsdon.  Used to play at Street Scene back in the day ($3.25 32oz. Long Island Iced Teas).  Sings/plays guitar... cover material.  Gets the crowd involved.  Good place for Friday nights before the home games, and it's at Easton, so not too far from an airport hotel location.

+2 HS

Got it. Admittedly, the airport location info didn't come off as I intended. I'm not planning on keeping it near the hotel, I'll cab it anywhere I need to. I do plan on hitting the Arena District in the afternoon on Saturday and progressively heading north towards the Shoe. I mean, can't go wrong sticking to High Street and working north right? That much at least has stayed the same.

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I can't help much with the Arena District.  We stopped going a while ago because we're old  :/  Don't get me wrong, it's not that we don't like it or anything.  We just have a routine we like and roll with it.  We love Little Bar before games (not after!) if it's not totally jam-packed.  Hell, even the Union is cool.  Make sure you check out the Union if you haven't been there since it was re-done.

+2 HS
BuckeyeChief's picture

$3.25 32oz. Long Island Iced Teas

Holy Hell. Is that even legal? I have drank exactly 2 of these in my life...I was in Tijuana back in '96 and I said I didn't want to drink, so my "buddy" brought me 2 "iced teas"...I somehow made it back to base, woke up about 5PM and had no idea were my wallet was. (I left it in another friends car). Granted, I only weighed about 135 lbs at the time, but I never drank another one.

"Damn I miss El Guapo"

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I weighed a buck-fifty back then.  One wasn't quite enough, 2 put me in orbit for days.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Chris Logsdon is great...the first 6 times you see him and realize he does the same songs over and over

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

Yeah, but you never get tired of those same songs... that's why they're classics!

+3 HS
ShoeHolder's picture

There isn't too much between the airport and campus. Other than thirsty scholar, any other spots on campus you liked (odds are they're gone)?

Definitely check out the arena district. The 16 bit bar is a decent/newer spot. Go to dirty franks for hot dogs. Also go to planks for pizza and some beers. 

"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the Earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

it should be worth noting that 16bit and dirty franks are NOT in the arena however.

ShoeHolder's picture

Good call. I was kind of naming places. If he's cabbing around down they aren't a far ride from the airport. 

"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the Earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

whiskeyjuice's picture

Oh how I miss the shoe. I think it has been almost 15 years since I have been there for a game:(

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Planks Cafe on Parsons for lunch. Best pizza on the planet. It's near German Village so not far out of your way. 

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Also Logsdon plays upstairs at Wild Wings on Lane and High before the games now. 

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

I didn't know that - Logsdon does a helluva show. Thanks for the tip!

Knarcisi's picture

Looks and sounds the same as he did wen I went to school about 20 years ago.

+1 HS
Keith Byars is the man's picture

Hiney gate is no longer a thing. Loved it when I was a kid going to games with my dad and friends. Danger brothers were awesome. Haven't been to a game in two seasons but the danger brothers have been performing over by the woody Hayes 

Nothing is Impossible!!!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Hineygate destroyed by a certain nameless OSU President and market forces of business greed ( in no certain order), if wrong - someone please correct me.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Fado's or World of Beer in Easton and in German Village.

The R Bar or Part Street Tavern in the Arena District.

Barrel 44 Whiskey Bar or Novak's in the Short North.

Zeno's in Victorian Village.

A beer stained seat at the Library or the Bier Stube is always available and pizza and beer at Adriatico's, or Eddie George's place for one drink, at least as a tribute to times past.

Hope some of those help.

Cheers!

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
buckeyefan333's picture

Don't cab it anywhere in Columbus, use Uber, it's cheaper and more convenient.  When I was a freshman, a cab ride to the airport cost me $40.  Uber will do it for $25 and will be faster.

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

Ditto - Uber is the best, and second place isn't even close.

TheBadOwl's picture

Not sure about Uber, but with Lyft, you get your first 5 rides for free as long as they're not super long.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Completely agree.  Used Uber for the first time to get me from campus to the airport last week, and it was great.  Picked me up in fewer than 5 minutes.  Traffic made it cost $30, but you can get a $30 off coupon when you create your account.  Definitely recommend Uber.  

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Out-r-Inn is still alive and kicking. That and Thirsty were far and away my favorite two spots on campus when I was there. They've put in some decent bars in the Short North. If you haven't had a chance to go to Melt up in Cleveland, they put one in down in the Short North as well, and would be worth the shot.

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

What day do you get in and what do you like to do? The easy answer for Saturday is hanging around the Short North during the early part of the day...tons of new awesome restaurants, breweries, bars, brewpubs etc. that have come about within the last handful of years. Make your way north and make sure to stop off at the shiny (relatively) new Ohio Union and check it out and even have a beer/catch a piece of some of the earlier games at Woody's Tavern inside the union. At that point I'd make the walk across The Oval for old time's sake, make it to the Shoe and RPAC (not sure if you were around for the finished RPAC...I think it finished '06-'07 or so?) and on to the Tailgate area/Lane Ave/Thirsty Scholar/etc. All of that can be done by walking, or can be cut shorter at any point by a quick cheap cab ride since everything's right there.

+2 HS
toad1204's picture

Check out Bakersfield in the Short North.  Awesome small tacos and their guac is legit.  Lines can be long though.  Also the Pint House in Short North is worth a visit.  The area's changed a lot.  Homage is down there as well.

RIP HEINEYGATE. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Big thanks guys-I guess I'll live knowing Hiney Gate is no more. Damn shame. Sox33OSU-You and me aren't so different, my friend. I lived right behind Out R Inn my senior year and practically lived there and at TS when I wasn't in class. Hands down the best bars on campus. I will cut anyone who says otherwise.

Damn, I can't wait. My group is in for a tour.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Yessir, those were the only two bars I cared for by the time I was 21. We were pretty close with the bartenders from Out R Inn (Slick is the coolest dude on that campus). I lived up off Neil Jr and Sr year, so Thirsty was a common spot to hit on my way home from classes, and their all-you-can-drink on Thurs and Sat should've killed me multiple times. Now I'm feeling nostalgic myself. I will join you in the cuttings.

Have a great time back man, hope you make it out alive. 

Bolt's picture

Did you live on Lane? I lived in a 10 bedroom house on Woodruff that was within throwing distance of Out-r-Inn in '06-'07. Much time was spent at that bar.

sox33osu's picture

I lived on Neil and Maynard my last 2 years, but before that I lived on Summit between 15 and 16. Way too many good times. I still absolutely love Out R Inn and plan on going back again sometime perhaps this football season.

Go1Bucks's picture

Damn, meant to add that to my list.  Still have my mug.

Go Bucks!