Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Opinions

Sims_tOSU's picture
July 12, 2014 at 12:38pm
61 Comments

Why do I get completely jumped on when I just voice my opinion on here? I got down voted into oblivion and got about 15 helmet stickers removed for just voicing my opinion? I get it that people don't always agree with it and I don't expect everyone too but we are all buckeye fans so I don't see the point in judging someone else for just saying what they are thinking... 

And since people keep saying "you dogged a high school kid" people do you realize just bc I'm on this site doesn't mean I'm older and all? I am only 18 and just graduated in June? 

BroJim's picture

Because it's the internet.

I season my simple food with hunger

+18 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

The best thing you can do is not worry about down votes.  The down vote system isn't always used correctly-- it's supposed to be more for policing than disagreeing.  I didn't read the posts you're referring to, but just letting it go is the best option.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+6 HS
kholmes's picture

Opinions are different than attacking a kid for his decision and competitiveness.

Regarding Baker, you wrote this yesterday "IMO I don't think baker had what it takes and UFM knew that"  and "Elite talent should never be scared of competition but baker was so he ran for the easiest place to play at for him."

I think people here are very fair with voting and thats why you have fans from other teams (like myself) also posting here because there is good material/info and limited personal attacks. But people here will rightfully downvote someone if they take a personal attack at a high school kid.

+33 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

How is it different considering I'm in high school too? 

-10 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

You'll get it youngster.. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+3 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Yes, how is it different? Ah yes, it's not. Be respectful like the "older folks" are.

Mouthing off about your perceptions regarding a recruit's competitiveness is childish and baseless. Don't be disrespectful, and you won't get helmet stickers taken away. Sometimes valid, polite, but unpleasant or unpopular comments are downvoted wrongfully (in my opinion), but it's not often.

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

It's not that you're dogging someone younger than you, it's that you're making bullshit assumptions about a kid who you don't know. You said Urban "knew that Baker didn't have what it takes" which is an absolutely stupid thing to say, considering that Baker is a top 50 player nationally and that Urban tried very hard to get Baker into the fold.

DJ Durkin is a great coach, and despite their record last year, UF consistently puts defensive players into the NFL. The weather is awesome and it's a great football program historically. Baker made a good choice. I'd argue that it's not his best choice, but he has time to change his mind.

The whole "Oh a player picked another school, he was obviously not good enough to go here" is a really petty, immature defense mechanism that makes the rest of us look really bitchy.

What you said was ridiculous, and would still be ridiculous if someone who is 40 years old said it. Not to mention that you started an entire thread because you got downvoted. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+14 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

The first rule of downvotes, is that you don't talk about downvotes...

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+25 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I agree, its annoying when someone starts down voting because they disagree with a poster.... The point of commenting is to create discussion and get different opinions which is why this site is great. I see a lot of DVs on valid comments, which makes me wonder if other team's fans jump on here and DV, because I would hate to believe we have some Buckeye fans that  DV because someone's opinion differs from their own and they are butt hurt about it.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

awarren84's picture

Well...considering you have to have 100 helmet stickers to up and down vote. I doubt it's just other team's fans. I can't imagine going on another teams blog and acting like I like them long enough to get 100 helmet stickers...and then secretly down voting them and snickering quietly to myself! Haha

"Anything less than flagrant is just playing grab ass!"

+11 HS

You could literally put gifs up all day and get 100 UVs. It's not really hard, I saw PSU posters on espn talking about the comments made on this site and if I am not mistaken bass dropper has accounts on other sites. So yes there are opposing fans on other sites we have two michigan fans on ours that I know of. Never underestimate the power of boredom and trolls.

awarren84's picture

I don't doubt that there is a person...or 5. That are the people you think of. But not enough to accumulate any traction in down voting to matter. If the original poster got downvoted as much as he says...it from OSU fans and not the few rogue fans of other teams you speak of. 

+1 HS

Double post

awarren84's picture

Twice even

+1 HS

Lol, I wasn't talking about the OP, just in general I see DVs on good opinions. If you get DV'd to oblivion it's prolly because the poster made a dick head comment

Hovenaut's picture

What's going on Sims?

I think the community is a respectful, though opinionated lot. I see plenty of differing opinions that are discussed in a courteous manner, but do see some banter that quickly spirals out of control from time to time. 

Check the commenting policy, the golden rule gets you far around here. 

The masses have their say though - the mentioning of upvotes and/or downvotes usually result in the latter. It took me a few go 'rounds to catch on - take your lumps and move on. Some folks don't always play fair, but the system seems to work for the most part...and sometimes downvotes are indeed warranted. 

Get along as you go along, and 11W is good times.                                                                                                                                                                    

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+11 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

People are (supposed to) downvote bad content or being a jerk, not any opinion. If you opinion is bad content or a jerk opinion, chances are you'll acculumlate some downvotes.

Trashing a teenage recruit that didn't pick us for not having a good work ethic is a jerk comment. We obviously recruited Baker hard to the end; the comment in question:

Personally I think UFM wants a hard working kid who doesn't run at the sight of competition and IMO I don't think baker had what it takes and UFM knew that and that's why we didn't recruit at hard as others. Elite talent should never be scared of competition but baker was so he ran for the easiest place to play at for him. Best of luck to him but I much rather have Conner who has had to work for everything he's gotten and loves it that way.  

There's a difference between having an opinion and being a dick with it. If you stick to generally being nice (especially when talking about kids), you'll be okay.

+14 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

But if you read my bio I'm not 30 or 40 like the rest of you I'm still 18 so I'm the same age as him. 

-10 HS
SilverState's picture

Not following this logic. If someone is the same age as somebody else, personal attacks are acceptable?

+14 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

So you went through high school and never said anything about another kid ever? I'm not making an excuse for why I said it bc it's obviously not bc I'm 18 and he is too I'm just saying I played football for the Lousville leopards last year and I've played against plenty of great players (dymonte Thomas, Aldon hill, Joey duckworth) and I know they just never shied away from some competition amd they weren't as highly ranked either. 

-11 HS
mh277907's picture

I'm with you. Baker definitely shied away from competition by committing to a school in the SEC... 

buckeyebobcat

+6 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

So you went through high school and never said anything about another kid ever?

If you add the important caveat of 'in a public forum' then absolutely I did not.

You want to participate in an adult forum but you don't want to be treated like the adults. You're going to have to give up one of those desires.

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Pal, a wet pool towel weighs more than you. Let's not go tooting our own athletic horn here...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

-1 HS

Come on 7 10, there's no need for personal attacks on the kid.

osu07asu10's picture

Come on S L, there's no need to try and make a light hearted comment a personal attack.

He could be pushing 300lbs for all that I know...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

Lol it's all good man. He doesn't mean it it's just a joke not a big deal. Thanks for sticking up for me tho lol. 

-5 HS
Phoenix824's picture

Quite frankly I do not down vote but I understand why you got down votes. You fail to see no one here cares if you are 16 or 116 or between. You make a comment like you did by criticizing a recruit you will get down voted no matter what your age and don't expect you fellow 11W members to look at your profile to figure out your age before they up vote or down vote you. You will get ups or downs on context alone.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

To put it simply, being 18 is not an excuse to be an asshole.

+14 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

Also whining about being down voted will probably make some people down vote you more. Just trying to help you out. 

Mac..yeah

+9 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

See... go to the Sausage Fest thread.  I'm getting DV because I snarled at the camel toe gif (using a work computer today and don't want to get in trouble for inappropriate content).  Don't agree with that, but it's life here on 11W.

+4 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

didn't notice the camel toe-thought it was an underwear ad

+5 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

My GF hates it when I use the term "camel toe". I have to come up with other stuff so she doesn't know what I'm talking about. lol, she has yet to figure out "moose knuckle".

+2 HS
awarren84's picture

In your 2 sausage fest comments you are 6 upvotes to 5 down votes. At least last I checked. So it should be all good. 

+1 HS
thowen79's picture

I understand what you mean, but the way I look at it is if you are worried about getting in trouble at work then you shouldn't be clicking on a topic that clearly has sexual undertones. Just my opinion. By the way, I didn't dv either comment, this one or the sausage fest comment.

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Fair enough.  It doesn't offend me in the least, but remember, we also have female readers on this site...

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Making a forum post complaining about losing arbitrary internet helmet stickers when you took jabs at a high school kid is a great way to attract even more boo birds.

For a mere 40 helmet stickers a week, I can offer you protection from internet bullies around here. My olive oil business has a muscle sect that protects our interests in this neighborhood. 

+19 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

That's an offer no one can refuse...

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

You know what happens when you talk about downvotes.....

+12 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

The lineman who runs back to Gardner doesn't know what to do after seeing that hit.  That's too funny.  You may want to help your QB up bra'!!!!

+2 HS
james allen's picture

I really enjoy KHOLMES'S comments.  He is clearly a Michigan fan but is always reasoned and provides some balance to the Michigan bashing.  I've commented twice on John U. Bacon's Michigan-centric blog for much the same reason.  Although I am adamant about my Buckeye love, I tried to provide some Buckeye balance to the current Michigan woes and to remind those fans that to be a fan also includes the trauma which is always an unwanted but essential element of such strong feeling.  This website is effective because the fandom is so apparent, and engaging,  but there's always a respect for thoughtful and fair discussion.  And KHOLMES is always thoughtful and fair.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Really? Look, there are more important things in the world than helmet stickers. There really are. If you read the commenting policy, it is dead on - 

And finally, don't cry about downvotes. Despite our best efforts to manage the system, they happen. In aggregate, though, the voting works.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/help/helmet-stickers 

We've all been DV'd when we didn't deserve it, and UV'd when we didn't also. But, in general, in all evens out. I think that the natural reaction by a majority of the fans that comment on 11W is that it's just a little bit silly to berate an 18 year old, or call into question his abilities simply because he made the choice to go to a different school. Baker thinks UF is a better fit for him, and hopefully he'll thrive there. Meyer knew that this kid was a fantastic prospect, and I am sure the staff did everything they could to try and get him. In the end, he made the best decision for HIM. So, let's sit back, still hope he comes to OSU, and if not, root for an Ohio kid to make good on his dreams, dominate the SEC and play in the League.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+5 HS
mh277907's picture

Just consider yourself lucky that people can no longer down vote forum threads

buckeyebobcat

+13 HS
Buckeyebrowny919's picture

You're just lucky that it isn't possible to downvote threads anymore.

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

+4 HS
Buckeyebrowny919's picture

I probably should have read above first lolol

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

+9 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

HERE IS MY DOWN VOTE...........

+6 HS
sharks's picture

Here's why:

1. The recruiting analysts here ask that posters not to trash recruits because of relationships they've built/are building, since some of the kids read the site.  It has nothing to do with your age.

2. A few posters abuse the downvote ability because they can do it anonymously,  same reason people cut other people off in traffic.

For what it's worth, Benedictine's no football powerhouse, he probably has never had to battle his way up a depth chart.  

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+7 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

No one cares about your opinion or your judgement so eat a :) and take your down votes like a man. Just kidding! Hehe.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

-2 HS

That's what it looks like when Greg Oden plays a full size violin.

+5 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

This simple image should put things into perspective, Sims...

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+5 HS
airbuckeye's picture

You have to remember these are 17 and 18 years old kids who are now making the biggies choice of their young life's. Their going to be off on their own for the next 4 too five years for the first time in their life and they want to make sure they have made the right choice.

Most will listen to mom and dad plus thier high school coaches for advice as well as look at all the schools on their list and what best suites them. Some who grew up a fan of one team or another may not get an offer or just figure that another school offers a better chance at the NFL or offers better classes in what they want.

Some will listen to the BS and lies other coach's feed them about playing time and what not only to find out once there they were lied to and made a misstake in their choice. But to bash a kid for doin what he believes to be the best for him is childess and disrespectful on your part.

DaveStephens's picture

AirBuckeye, is that you in the pic?  When were you in?

The Dude abides.

Buck Commander's picture

Down Voted right outta here........HE GONE!!!!!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

Eph97's picture

Never trash a recruit; it's bad form. Some recruits are actually members and post here. Well, at least one prominent recruit, now OSU player, posts here. 

+3 HS
airbuckeye's picture

Yes Dave thats me in the pic and i went in back in 1972 the minute i turned 17 in Oct.