Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Lebron announcing today (Day 5)

BassDropper's picture
July 11, 2014 at 4:29am
67 Comments

Got a sick feeling. For the past 2 or 3 days I have felt pretty confident that Lebron would be a Cav. With the reports from Broussard tonight about him "not being 85%" any more with a :) Lebron is in Miami right now and leaving for Brazil tmw. Just can't see any scenario where he ends up in Cleveland anymore. He cancelled his trip to Akron. That trip has supposedly been planned for months, and all of a sudden he cancels it. Somethings not right.

FROMTHE18's picture

I just hope he's actually given the Cavs a fair shot rather than using his free agency to get more money out of Miami/to gain more attention. 

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Twitter might actually shit it's pants once the decision is actually made.  I know I'm about tired of reading it EVERYWHERE.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Have thought all along that he will sign a 3 year deal where he can opt out after 2, and THEN return to Cleveland in 2016.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

-1 HS
BierStube's picture

Mean while .. Chris Bosh be like ..

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+9 HS
OSU069's picture

I just don't get why if he was going to stay with the Heat, why he didn't commit earlier to allow Miami to recruit players.

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

I would've liked to see him come back to the Cavs but I feel like there's no way he would with Gilbert still being the owner and after that dumb letter he wrote about him guaranteeing the Cavs would win a title before the self entitled "king" would and calling him a coward etc etc.   If he does stay in MIA, I hope Bosh signs with the Rockets so Melo could join forces with 'Bron... but I suppose we'll see what happens.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I agree.  The longer this has gone on, the less confident I have felt.  I think having Wade with him last night was the kiss of death.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+2 HS
hodge's picture

Looks like it's not quite as dire as I was thinking last night, but Gilbert's letter is a serious hang-up.  On Mike & Mike this morning, they mentioned that Broussard said if it wasn't for the letter, he'd have signed with Cleveland by now.

daveyt11's picture

I figured "the letter" was still an issue...Gonna be an interesting day.

The Rill Dill's picture

I can think of 3-4 hundred million reasons why the letter won't be a huge issue.  Letter, schmetter.

+1 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

Heard it as well. I was wondering at the time of the letter if this would come back to bite him. Many Cleveland fans were over joyed and supported Gilbert's rants because it was at the time "what they felt." Look at it now, Gilbert has kept the letter up on a website for 4 yrs, why??? Pride? Ego?  Now its costing him a chance to potentially get the best player in the world back and with the teams moves, clearly someone he wants back. A great lesson can be had by all. When ever you feel wronged take a step back and think about your actions before doing them.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

Actually Gilbert had the letter itself taken down in 2011. It was still apparently able to be found essentially as a screenshot archived page, and they apparently were unable to do anything about it. That's why the story came out this week that they had to seek assistance to get that page erased altogether.

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

How does no one from the WWL even mention Riley's comments a few weeks ago. He basically said the same things. He said that if his players cut and run at the first sign of adversity that they're gutless and need to stick it out with their family. I swear it seems very strongly that ESPN is pushing hard for him to go back to Miami. Other people outside the WWL such as Chris Sheridan are reporting things from their sources that indicate he's leaning toward Cleveland and he gets berated on ESPN shows and gets completely ignored on Sportscenter and espn.com. Chris Broussard reports that his sources say he's hung up on the letter and they take it as gospel, it's the top headline on espn.com, it's a headline talking point on sportscenter and it's literally the only thing I heard them talk about on ESPN radio. I'm not even upset if Bron doesn't come back because I don't like him...but it feels like my team and fanbase are going to get drug through the mud again.

Bolt's picture

ESPN is going as far as comparing Dan Gilbert to Donald Sterling. J.A. Adande wrote that hack piece that basically took an article-long dump on Dan Gilbert and was their cover story yesterday...that pretty much flat out said LeBron would be wrong to go back to CLE. They seem to very strongly be pushing an agenda at this point.

Bolt's picture

Then why have you fellas over at ESPN been comparing him to Sterling in the first place?!

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Was driving between meetings and heard Colin Cowherd say the letter was full of racially-tinged messages.  I don't see that at all but Cowherd was really pushing it.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

He needs to get over it if he's still really butthurt about it.  He won two championships and got to the Finals four straight years while the Cavs sucked for four years, so he obviously proved that letter to be the BS false bravado that it was.

Class of 2010.

Hayesedandconfused's picture

Well sounds like Gilbert needs to make a public apology.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

More importantly, he needs to apologize to LeBron.  Public apologies can seem contrived, while a personal phone call (or hell, even a text) can seem much more genuine.

Mend the relationship in private now, mend it publicly if he signs.

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I would have thought he already did.  I mean, who knows, because even this is speculation.  But logic says there's no way LBJ to CLE would even be considered without those two getting on the same page.  There's no record of a conversation however.  I've just hoped they had one and it was kept private.

+5 HS
hodge's picture

Yeah, there were rumours swirling a few days ago about just that.  Granted, if Broussard is to be believed (and I'm more inclined to trust him than any other "source" in all this nonsense), LeBron's still got some doubts -- which means it's time to double down.

+1 HS
gumtape's picture

What, you don't trust Steven A Smith?

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

What's the difference between Broussard's sources and other prominent NBA writers? Why do we automatically assume he's in the know 100%...he's the same guy that has switched his viewpoint and lean on this almost daily over the last week.

Bolt's picture

Well other people have been reporting that they've mended their relationship a long time ago and moved on. No mention of that "sourced report" on ESPN (even some ESPN personalities have said they believe the issue has been mended), however they get Chris Broussard's "sourced report" and they take it and run with it and are going to try to shove it down our throats until this is over. It's hard to not get the impression that ESPN prefers him in Miami. 

+6 HS
hodge's picture

I don't disagree RE: Miami, it's probably because the narrative of the Heat was such as cash cow, they don't want to abandon it for a new narrative in Cleveland. Regardless of how interesting it may seem to us, the "villain" story of them made for stickiness on the news cycle—recasting LeBron's narrative as one of hometown redemption makes him likable, which means you lose that instantly polarizing effect he had with the Heat. 

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

You can certainly take Sheridan with a grain of salt at this point (because his reputation is at stake, not because he's not credible/reputable...he's still not wavering that LeBron is 100% to Cleveland)...but multiple people are disputing Broussard's report. Yet, ESPN is going full steam ahead with it as their top story.

+4 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

This is the biggest BS/Smokescreen yet. Laughable. Besides the fact Lebron and Gilbert forgave each other and moved on years ago, as evident by LeBron's interviews and attending Z Night, this is nothing but BS put out by the LeBron camp to make his return for nobody but the city of Cleveland itself. It's only to make LeBron look better.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Are you sure? Or could it be to soften the backlash from Cavs fans if he is going to Miami? 

+5 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

That is indeed a possibility. Good point.

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

This is a very good point that I hadn't really considered. There is no one else making any mention of this outside of ESPN and I've been seeing other sportswriters disputing Broussard's report though. 

Bolt's picture

Yet ESPN is running with it as their lead story all morning. This combined with Adande's hack-job yesterday just really points to an agenda. No one outside of ESPN is giving any credence to this report. Methinks they're a bit hesitant when it comes to the idea of having to create a "Cavs Index" on ESPN.com 

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I'm really tired of the bogus "inside information".  I'd rather these guys speak their respective opinions. At this point, there is no "insider" I'm going to believe. I've prepared for the wolf too many times, I'm not listening anymore. 

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I'm one of the biggest LeBron fans and this is even starting to make me hate him a little bit.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Why?  He's not said one word during this process.  People are obviously speaking for him (how much of that is "released" is completely up for debate), but really it's the media that's driving this insanity.

+5 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Well, to be fair, I think he could stop it, though.  Once he opted out, it was on.  If he truly does not know yet what he's going to do then my comment here is irrelevant, but if he does, he had to know that waiting to announce where he is going to sign was going to make half of the world freak out.  If he is going to Cleveland, he could have announced it after the Jack trade.  He could have done it any time for Miami.  We're a couple loooong days past that.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Agreed, but I don't think this is about ego -- he already knows that he can stall NBA free agency as long as he likes, I can't see this as an attention grab (especially after the circus he turned The Decision into four years ago).  

I think he wants to come back, as it's the best thing for his family and legacy, but he's conflicted by the unproven Cavs roster (though it looks good), the proven ability of Pat Riley to recruit (vs. Gilbert's track record when he had LeBron previously), and the fact that's he's fresh off a Finals appearance (even if it exposed D-Wade as an expensive albatross on the Heat's salary cap).

+2 HS
LouGroza's picture

Chris Sheridan says the letter info is a rumor started by another NBA exec and Broussard is quoting BS.

+3 HS
LouGroza's picture
+5 HS
cdub4's picture

Well, to be fair, yesterday was the first day Cleveland could have signed him, so we are going on slightly over 30 hours.

Baroclinicity's picture

Understood, but plenty announce before then, like Irving.

sivaDavis's picture

Response to Hodge, I threw around the word hate a little too loosely. I should have said, I'm one of the biggest LeBron fans and this process is making me hate him for not deciding 3 days ago when I read from "SOURCES" that he was.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Earle's picture

Kill me now.  Not because James may spurn the Cavs again, but because I just cannot abide another Lebron thread.

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

Well great job Dan Gilbert not only did you look stupid for what you said in the letter but the fact that he even wrote the letter in the first place was very idiotic. Now he might cost the cavs a championship bc IMO if lebron isn't back after this year then the fans won't ever accept him back. 

-5 HS
KingsRite's picture

Twitter wars amongst journalist now. At least Sheridan is sticking to his guns. This has become a circus. When is Fall Camp again?

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Seriously.  I am going to need to cleanse my soul with some Buckeyes football ASAP.

+1 HS
buckz4evr's picture

I agree.  The letter is a ploy to deflect the anger to Gilbert instead of Lebron.  In a sense I can't stand Lebron, but do I want him to come back?  Yes, but for one reason and one reason only.....to bring a Championship to Cleveland.  Then he can slip off the face of the earth for all I care.  If all Steven Smith says is true, Lebron hasn't changed in 4 yrs.  He is still demanding his entourage and mother have pretty much everything they want.  The difference is Gilbert gave him all he wanted, while Miami didn't.  I'll be a little disappointed if he doesn't come to Cleveland....okay, I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't come back but I am optimistic without him.  We now have a good core of young talent and a proven coach that can work with unselfish players and make them into a cohesive team.

BuckeyeChief's picture

So, is he playing at tOSU or Akron? The suspense is KILLING ME!

"Clutch has no boundaries"

HotSauceCommittee's picture

I now what LBJ back in Cleveland if only to shut Colin Cowherd pie hole.

+1 HS
gumtape's picture

Cowherd had a great interview with Sheridan yesterday, tried to get him to reveal his source. Great stuff from the WWL and totally unexpected.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+1 HS
HattanBuck85's picture

Totally agree! Really interesting interview. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

RedStorm45's picture

If this is now "leaking" (if you actually believe Broussard) as a way to soften blow to Cleveland...he can never come back.  Stories have been coming out for over a week indicating he'd be coming back or is strongly considering it.  His camp has done nothing to put an end to those rumors.

+1 HS
Danify's picture

This whole situation reminds of this scene on Family Guy... "Its been two months ..."

BassDropper's picture

I told myself at the beginning of this whole thing that I wouldn't get upset if Lebron picked the Heat.....well, that has changed. If he were to choose the Heat, in a way, it would be worse than the Decision. With all the "leaks" and "sources" (which are coming directly from LBJ's camp) that says he is going to the Cavs, and all of the other things that have led to Cavs fans getting their hopes up, the backlash is going to be just as bad, if not worse that The Decision. 

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

I'm impatient with the decision for the sake of knowing and moving forward...but honestly, I'll be happy if he comes back and happy if he doesn't. I hate to see Cleveland fans get so wrapped around his finger again after what happened the last time.

If he comes back our team becomes a contender for years to come out of the east again.

If he doesn't, fine I don't like him or want to have to root for him...plus we've got a future with Wiggins, Irving and cap flexibility, young assets/trade bargaining chips. A bright future anyway.

HattanBuck85's picture

I would like to go on record as stating that Chris Broussard is one of the worst reporters in America. At least that is what my sources are telling me. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

There's an 85% chance that statement is correct....according to my sources.

DIRECTIONER

Bolt's picture

I mean, who arbitrarily chooses 85%? 

Hayesedandconfused's picture

Cav he's going home Booooooom

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Let's go!!!!!!! Boom!!!!!!! The king is back!!!!

KingsRite's picture

YES! YES! YES!

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

OSU069's picture

That was an extremely powerful statement by Lebron. Amazing. 

+1 HS
ponder10's picture

Eleven Warriors is to break in 3...2...1

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Now how am I supposed to get the 'smokey' smell out?

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Not a big NBA fan but congratulations Cavs fans.  You deserve it.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Danify's picture

Booooom. I think this is how Cleveland fans are feeling right now...